"Old Knives"

Real nice one Duncan, like what Paul said, blade is crispy!!

Here’s a NYK Co congress pen in ebony with steel pins and brass liners. The tang stamp is an early one I believe? Would like to hear from you guys. I really appreciate how the ebony covers are rounded off nice and thin at the liners.

Nick, that is a wonderful early NYK Company Congress Pen! In remarkable condition given its age:thumbsup:
That would be a grail type knife for most any serious collector!!

Here are two Electrician or Radio Knives. These are single blade screw driver-wire stripper lock back folders.
The top one is branded Red Devil S & H Co. New York. I posted this on page 808 of the Old Knives thread back
In Dec. Interesting story how it got the name Red Devil. Anyway it looks to be an Empire made Knife, at least that
is what Charlie suggested at the time.

I happen to be cruising one of my EBay saved searches and found the second one just recently at a very low BIN so
plunged in and bought it. The photos were not great but the description was promising. Turned out to be a stellar condition Empire Winsted CT. tang marked example with a nice etch. The etch is J. H. Bunnell & Co. New York.
Found this interesting information about the company on google http://jhbunnell.com/bunnellcohistory.shtml.

The two are very similar but with the following differences. Different shields obviously, the Empire blade is wider
and about 1/8 inch longer (although neither blade appears used or messed with), the bolsters are different with the Red Devil bolster more squared off whilst the Empire bolster is more rounded, the nail nicks are different, the Red Devil
has Cocobolo handles that are much thicker or wider at the rear or butt end and the Empire handles although Cocobolo are much more narrow at the rear or butt end and finally the pin placement and the pin size on some of the pins are different.

So, is the Red Devil an Empire produced Electrician/Radio Knife? I guess the differences could be just be attributed
to evolution of design although they both seem to be about the same age I would say. Circa 1920s. What do you say if
you were guessing or know? Thanks!
C4D30545-BF86-4229-A038-95A0D67C2596.jpeg C7BDAA73-5084-4064-B07D-896F65564A18.jpeg AB50B981-B3C7-47DE-999C-D3D61180B0B6.jpeg F9B7B8A5-D616-4964-A76C-26502A15BF10.jpeg
6E0BAB3B-4AC4-42CB-9DE4-902F09567692.jpeg

Last edited:
Quite a conundrum, Lloyd. Holly, Napanoch, Honk Falls and NYK have made handles that widen out at the butt, and Schrade may have made that pattern. Lots of subtlety that bears further looking!!!

Real nice one Duncan, like what Paul said, blade is crispy!!

Here’s a NYK Co congress pen in ebony with steel pins and brass liners. The tang stamp is an early one I believe? Would like to hear from you guys. I really appreciate how the ebony covers are rounded off nice and thin at the liners.

Absolutely stellar Nick.

You don't see hafting like that anymore (aside from the best custom makers), very rounded, with virtually no flat shoulder. It's really the proper way.

Luger1952 Luger1952 Thank you for the nice comments Lloyd! Congrats on the Empire. Both the Red Devil and the Empire look unused like you mentioned. Could the steel instead of brass pins on the Red Devil suggest that it may be the older of the two??

TheChunk91 TheChunk91 Thanks Paul! I agree that hafting like that is not commonly seen anymore. I currently own very few customs, sold most of them away and only a couple of them have the covers hafted like the NYK. Most have squared off flat shoulders.

Last edited:
Nick, great old NYK Congress, as Lloyd stated, it would be a grail knife for any collector.

Lloyd, very nice radio knives, both look to be in great condition, Cattaraugus also made that slim Radio pattern although I have only seen 2 blades, don't know if they made the single screwdriver blade, also the Catt is missing that extra rear pin. This one Patent date 1916

IMG_0282.jpg

Added a couple old ebony jacks this week, very nice full blade 3 3/8" Schrade Cut Co and a hard to find 3 3/4" Holley, full blades with a great swedge on the main.

Unfortunately won't be able to take good pics of the Holley, have been having knee pain for the last week or so and Weds evening it totally went out, excruciating pain. Will find out today when and what type of surgery, hope I don't miss the Rendezvous.

IMG_0443.jpg IMG_0441.jpg IMG_0467.jpg

Hope your knee gets sorted John!! We need you at the rendezvous!!! Good Luck!!

An intriguing item most certainly. Throws up an oddity or two the first being its relatively large size! Hardly a pocket-knife so the shackle/bail points to belt carry or maybe in the pack. Carbon sabre ground blade with that interesting yet simply clever lock system. What are the handles? Must be stainless as they don't display patina like the blade nor tarnish like brass would. Or could they be aluminium? At one time a very costly scale option-seems incredible today! But I suggest not as that too tarnishes to an unsightly and spotty look over time.

So if they are stainless, it would indicate between the 2 World Wars. Sabre grind gives it some hunting pretentions perhaps? Sabre might not be so common on English knives post WW2 I'm guessing.

Thank you for your opinion! Very much appreciated. The handles could very well be stainless steel, although they don't really "feel" like stainless, unfortunately I'm no expert and it's hard to tell. Maybe the are nickel silver?
Your input concerning the age is very interesting.

Best regards,
Pedro

Augie Augie Sorry about your knee John. I had an arthroscopic surgery last year on my right knee(removed 70% of my meniscus). I was off crutches the next day and limping around the first week or so and was pretty much walking normally after 3 weeks. I don’t know to what extent is your injury but I hope you won’t need any major surgery. Thank you for your nice comment and congrats on the 2 very nice ebony jacks! Even in the not so great photo of the Holley, I can see how clean and crisp the swage is.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you for your opinion! Very much appreciated. The handles could very well be stainless steel, although they don't really "feel" like stainless, unfortunately I'm no expert and it's hard to tell. Maybe the are nickel silver?
Your input concerning the age is very interesting.

Best regards,
Pedro

At your service :)

Could be NS over brass yes but that too tarnishes quite a lot. Test it with a magnet to rule out brass/aluminium non ferrous.

Regards,

Will

Kai - that Half Congress is a Stellar example- what a beauty of a Knife!! just great condition and I agree with what the guys are saying about it!

Llloyd, I have managed to pick up a couple of very nice Tl- 29's lately both absolutely mint, on is a Cattaraugus and the other a case - both nice early examples and mint- cant take photos of the Case yet as Paul has it! Nice to see those gorgeous examples! I must dig out my Catt as I think its a very slim example?

Augie matey- Oh man...take care of that Knee my friend- that sounds painful! I too officially am on the waiting list and could be in Hospital in 6 weeks time - hope that Knee settles down very quickly!
Beautiful knife examples as per usual Augie mate, that Jack with the Electricians blade is just awesome! what a great knife!

That Ebony Schrade Cut Co is the perfect Jack imo - what a magnificent Knife!

Augie Augie Sorry about your knee John. I had an arthroscopic surgery last year on my right knee(removed 70% of my meniscus). I was off crutches the next day and limping around the first week or so and was pretty much walking normally after 3 weeks. I don’t know to what extent is your injury but I hope you won’t need any major surgery. Thank you for your nice comment and congrats on the 2 very nice ebony jacks! Even in the not so great photo of the Holley, I can see how clean and crisp the swage is.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kai - that Half Congress is a Stellar example- what a beauty of a Knife!! just great condition and I agree with what the guys are saying about it!

Llloyd, I have managed to pick up a couple of very nice Tl- 29's lately both absolutely mint, on is a Cattaraugus and the other a case - both nice early examples and mint- cant take photos of the Case yet as Paul has it! Nice to see those gorgeous examples! I must dig out my Catt as I think its a very slim example?

Augie matey- Oh man...take care of that Knee my friend- that sounds painful! I too officially am on the waiting list and could be in Hospital in 6 weeks time - hope that Knee settles down very quickly!
Beautiful knife examples as per usual Augie mate, that Jack with the Electricians blade is just awesome! what a great knife!

That Ebony Schrade Cut Co is the perfect Jack imo - what a magnificent Knife!

Nick, Duncan, thank you both, I had some positive news at the doctor this afternoon and may be able to avoid surgery, I'll know more after PT next week. Duncan, hope whatever you are going in for you have the best possible outcome, best wishes buddy.

Great news Augie - fingers crossed.
Mine - well - that’s another story I won’t bother this Thread with lol, but it’s big.

I’m going to take some more photos of some more knives of late.
I bought some nice Henckels the other day which - when they arrive ( which will be some time yet ) I will post them up.

Had the pleasure of dealing with our friend Roland with the Henckels. :) :thumbsup:

Great news Augie - fingers crossed.
Mine - well - that’s another story I won’t bother this Thread with lol, but it’s big.

I’m going to take some more photos of some more knives of late.
I bought some nice Henckels the other day which - when they arrive ( which will be some time yet ) I will post them up.

Had the pleasure of dealing with our friend Roland with the Henckels. :) :thumbsup:

Good guy, he's been selling some nice knives.

Was able to hobble around enough to take a few pics, love large ebony jacks, this Holley has full blades, the swedge on the clip main almost goes tip to tang.

IMG_0457.jpg IMG_0460.jpg IMG_0458.jpg IMG_0455.jpg

Back