"Old Knives"

Great news Augie - fingers crossed.
Mine - well - that’s another story I won’t bother this Thread with lol, but it’s big.
I’m going to take some more photos of some more knives of late.
I bought some nice Henckels the other day which - when they arrive ( which will be some time yet ) I will post them up.
Had the pleasure of dealing with our friend Roland with the Henckels. :) :thumbsup:
Good Luck my friend !!!!

Harry

A good mechanic , such as you my friend , would just Change Out the knee . I did go on and read your other posts and was glad to see that it may not be as bad as you thought . Glad to hear that . It will not be quite the same in Titusville if you can't make it . Nancy & I sure hope to see waynorth waynorth and you and Donna there in August .
I enjoyed seeing your above knives too my friend .
Harry

Thank you Harry, it's looking better every day and we should be at the Rendezvous, looking forward to seeing you and Nancy again.

Shotgun Shell Extractor

I find those shell extractors to be mostly unknown. I always knew them as "shell grabbers' due to my upland hunting days. I'm not fond of blade play, but I'd still take a flyer on a good knife like that one. I do admit I prefer the ones without the saw though. I wish I'd known you were going over that way. I could have pointed you to a couple places in Bavaria worth looking into.

This knife does not come anywhere near the class of other knives being shown here as of late!
I bought this knife that was in with 4 knife lot, the other 3 were absolute junk- but from the very very poor seller photos I could see some nice old Bone - for the price of the buy now for the lot it was worth the closer look at under $40 NZ, so to you guys and Gals in the States slightly less than $20...

So I opened the packet upon it's arrival, immediately threw the other three away, and picked up this - what I can only describe as a Tank!
I knew when looking at it - it was most probably a Sheffield Knife, the Jigging pattern is from that era of early 20th Century Sheffield- and I kinda like this Jigged Bone- its a Worm Grooved jigging that is really interesting to look at!

I love the intermittent pattern in the still yet flowing worm groove, not the most out there in captive Colour as a Stag or Burnt Stag but in its own way quite intriguing Bone Handle material.

The snap on this knife is outrageous and sports absolutely no Blade play - this Lovely 100 year old Knife commands respect from me because this Knife has been used- but not abused and just look at it- this will do another Century of use!

Another thing I love about these old Knives is the iron pins that have been hammered in by Hand - slowly over the long, long years ebbing out a rust stain through the surrounding Bone.

Lets come back to present time and The thing I really love about Jack Blacks workings with A Wrights is still the use of the fantastic Kicks used by the early Sheffield's - The good Ol' Stovepipe Kick - so lets go back in time again and ...this Knife - this knife obviously has the Stovepipe Kick!

In my office I couldn't quite see if these gorgeous old Iron Rat's Tailed Bolsters were Integral with the Liners - nor could I make out the very very few markings left of a Stamping!

Once I got home out came the Loupe - and I then used a Brass coin to slowly work the Tang build away - and there it was CAMBRIDGE & Co ( over ) ENGLAND in the great old Font they used.... I was so so pleased, the Bolsters weren't Integral- as there is a very slight wee join you can see under magnification.
From 1900 to 1920 Cambridge & Co were in existence and apparently a Military Contractor - I am not saying that this knife came under this - who knows- it could well have been - that's not too important as the Knife isn't the Worlds most collectible but these fantastic Early Sheffield's deserve their recognition.

Cian1jr.jpg

9TOwKAM.jpg

3hH6Way.jpg

xnkK4A0.jpg

BmlnrmC.jpg

zNKD617.jpg

dIhYmdW.jpg
I love it Duncan :):thumbsup: That's the type of knife that if it could talk it could tell you stories all night :D The bone, the pins, the bolster, the patina... oh so many stories... ;)

Thank you Eisman and Kev :thumbsup:
Eisman- there were some great places we saw that would have been fantastic- but we saw them on Sunday and being mostly a very religious area everything like that was closed!

Neat score on the Bone Sea Scout Knife Kev, is the Front one without the Shield an Ulster as well? same pinning etc but the Bone looks like Camillus

Last edited:
Thank you Eisman and Kev :thumbsup:
Eisman- there were some great places we saw that would have been fantastic- but we saw them on Sunday and being mostly a very religious area everything like that was closed!

Neat score on the Bone Sea Scout Knife Kev, is the Front one without the Shield an Ulster as well? same pinning etc but the Bone looks like Camillus
Yup they are both Ulster Knife Co, I will get better pics of the "non-shield" knife and post a couple...

there were some great places we saw that would have been fantastic- but we saw them on Sunday and being mostly a very religious area everything like that was closed!

Sunday mornings in Europe are the best time to take pictures if you don't want a crowd in them. Here's a good comparison from a street in Munich's old town center:

A normal day (not high tourist season when it's even more crowded).
YiPWp9Q.jpg

The next morning (a Sunday).
hhLXxQu.jpg

And since you guys come of older knives, here's one. I don't see many Boys knives, let alone Valco stamps.
JPLK8E7.jpg

mXolrs9.jpg

G5CfX6q.jpg

An old SEO&S Barlow that I just got that has been wayyyyyyy Overcleaned . Not the way that I like to do it but is a pretty hard to find this Barlow and the price was okay .

Compared to a Regular SEO&S Barlow

Compared to a TC 14 Barlow

Integral Bolsters

It actually has Great Snap at 1/2 Stop , Open , and Close

Harry

eisman, beautiful pictures of German scenery, and a great old knife with an uncommon stamp.

Old Engineer, A wonderful rare old knife to find in any condition.

eisman, beautiful pictures of German scenery, and a great old knife with an uncommon stamp.

Old Engineer, A wonderful rare old knife to find in any condition.
Thank you very much Sir . Very much appreciated my friend .

Harry

An old SEO&S Barlow that I just got that has been wayyyyyyy Overcleaned . Not the way that I like to do it but is a pretty hard to find this Barlow and the price was okay .

Compared to a Regular SEO&S Barlow

Compared to a TC 14 Barlow

Integral Bolsters

It actually has Great Snap at 1/2 Stop , Open , and Close

Harry
That's a sweet little Oates Barlow. :):thumbsup: I have one that's not as cleaned but alas, more roughly used. Is yours smaller than 3" closed?
vNX1LNT.jpg

With a #14:
9iXgGVI.jpg

That's a sweet little Oates Barlow. :):thumbsup: I have one that's not as cleaned but alas, more roughly used. Is yours smaller than 3" closed?
vNX1LNT.jpg

With a #14:
9iXgGVI.jpg
I much prefer them cleaned like yours r8shell r8shell . I just measured my Regular Sized one at 3 & 3/8 inches and the Smaller One at 2 & 15/16 inches. Just looking at your picture and yours looks to be over 3 inches but less than 3 & 3/8 inches . Do you suppose that is because of the squared off Butt end of the handle ?? I Do Not see any evidence of the word England on either yours or my smaller one yet but it is there on my Regular Sized one .

Harry

I much prefer them cleaned like yours r8shell r8shell . I just measured my Regular Sized one at 3 & 3/8 inches and the Smaller One at 2 & 15/16 inches. Just looking at your picture and yours looks to be over 3 inches but less than 3 & 3/8 inches . Do you suppose that is because of the squared off Butt end of the handle ?? I Do Not see any evidence of the word England on either yours or my smaller one yet but it is there on my Regular Sized one .

Harry
That's neat that you have a set in two sizes. I could guess that the smaller ones are older, but I'm really just guessing.
I just double checked, and mine is 3 1/16th inches, measuring all the way to the end of the liner. The bone is squared off at the end, but the liner rounds off a little past that. Possibly from being dropped some time over the past 100 years. ;) Here you can see that mine is rather janked up, but I was still very happy to find one in any condition.
olWxyYf.jpg
Drt5spY.jpg

BD (Brandoch Daha) traveled today for the first time, and got his first work in as well. The wonderful action and the positive tactility of the jigging makes it an absolute joy to use.

pOQxuWO.jpg

I also got in a couple more photos of the Hartshead Barlow this afternoon.

ExJfZa1.jpg

te9fqLf.jpg

Back