"Old Knives"

Wow Duncan, outstanding German knives, those Henckels whittlers, wow!

Great knives posted here, not partial to German knives but those are very nice!!

Here are a few you might like, some I've had a while and some are new to me.

Cool etched Utica that has an alligator on the front handle and salesman's number scratched on the back of the main blade.

NM Pressed horn handled whittler, no marks on the knife except for the salesman's ink on the back of the main blade, 4" closed

Waterville etched English Jack, I've had this one a long time. gator1 (1024x683).jpg gator1.jpg gator2 (1024x683).jpg pressedhorn1 (1024x683).jpg pressedhorn2 (1024x683).jpg pressedhorn3' (1024x683).jpg watervilleetch (1024x683).jpg

It may be a factory second but this particular tang stamp isn't familiar to anyone yet. Augie suggested it might be a factory mock up. It's a head scratcher.
YQFRGPW.jpg

I was just browsing a Russell thread over on AAPK. A member there has a collection of Russell blades, or patterns for blades? Two of them have the same arrow stamp on the pile side. I hope it is ok to link to another knife site? Anyway, here is a link to the thread. The post with the pictures I am referring to is the 10th one down on page 7 of the thread.

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37404&start=90

Great knives posted here, not partial to German knives but those are very nice!

Wow Duncan, outstanding German knives, those Henckels whittlers, wow!

Thank you both Gentlemen for the comments- I appreciate them very much, Glen Sir they are SO much better in the hand my friend.

Galvanic my friend - I understand what you are saying- and perhaps its a world placement thing - as in here in America we don't collect German Knives compared to the Early American knives ( I love both believe me ) like they would in Europe? but I can safely say that the earlier Boker, Henckels and others are very much on an equal basis as any early American Cutler Brand as in build quality, Blade choices, Attractiveness with Stag, Bone Jig work, Swage work etc

Now I say this Galvanic - and thank you Sir for bringing up what I was thinking a lot about this subject the other day - and that is why? why is there not more of a movement towards these knives?
If anyone in a good discussion format can display and point out just why the early German knives are not as good as the early American Cutlers - I would really like to see - in a "Lets talk about Knives discussion approach" comparisons and reasons, there is no hidden sarcasm or hidden agenda when I am saying this- but 100% the want of a good knife exploratory talk if anyone has a strong opinion, or stand out facts on this etc.:) :thumbsup:

It was after all the Early immigrant Sheffield and German Cutlers who helped America off their feet in the beginning.

Some of the Quality of the putting together of the Knife - and the beautiful Bone / Stag- just WOW factor!

Galvanic- Stunning knives shown as per usual! The Watervill and Whittler are both incredible Knives! That Utica is Great!

Dan I stumbled on the link shortly after my Russell arrived but failed to read it thoroughly. I appreciate you pointing it out, thank you very much :thumbsup::thumbsup:
I was just browsing a Russell thread over on AAPK. A member there has a collection of Russell blades, or patterns for blades? Two of them have the same arrow stamp on the pile side. I hope it is ok to link to another knife site? Anyway, here is a link to the thread. The post with the pictures I am referring to is the 10th one down on page 7 of the thread.

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37404&start=90

Great knives posted here, not partial to German knives but those are very nice!!

Here are a few you might like, some I've had a while and some are new to me.

Cool etched Utica that has an alligator on the front handle and salesman's number scratched on the back of the main blade.

NM Pressed horn handled whittler, no marks on the knife except for the salesman's ink on the back of the main blade, 4" closed

Waterville etched English Jack, I've had this one a long time. View attachment 1168396 View attachment 1168397 View attachment 1168398 View attachment 1168400 View attachment 1168401 View attachment 1168402 View attachment 1168403

"Not partial to German knives"???... Are you nuts? :)
(just poking some fun my old friend)
Absolutely beautiful and rare examples!!! Thanks for the pictures.

Enclosed is a picture of a German "F. Herder" pre-war salesman sample ivory folder with nine blades and two pull outs.
This elegant model would rival any of the best to come out of Sheffield or the United States. There are a great many fantastic examples from various German cutlers.

View attachment 1168781

Enclosed is a picture of a German "F. Herder" pre-war salesman sample ivory folder with nine blades and two pull outs.
This elegant model would rival any of the best to come out of Sheffield or the United States. There are a great many fantastic examples from various German cutlers.

View attachment 1168781
BEAUTIFUL herder!!! and it has your name already stamped on the Tang:p My friend, my trips east don't seem to pop up as often as I'd like because I'd like to take you up on your offer to get together. We just may have to meet in Alex again for lunch...I'm buyin:thumbsup:

I have another early Whittler - by Henckels - showing similarities to the Wusthof with an even thicker spine and Blade- this knife packs a whole lot into a 3 & 5/8th Frame, the workmanship is realised totally when you hold this amazing Knife in the Hand.

Pictured here with the Wusthof Whittler- forgive me for the Renaissance Wax build up in the Nail Pulls... Just look at the beefy blade on the Henckels and the way both Knives are so well built...

oZW32xD.jpg

uSEckCA.jpg
I have an appreciation for German knives, although I only have a very few. I agree that they are of really good quality, at least the ones I have are.
i1gHIyS.jpg

My stag Henckels whittler and Klaas congress. Campbellclanman Campbellclanman the Henckels I have also has a thick spine. The rest of the knife would fail long before the main blade for sure!
ZUi4FwV.jpg
0aFBq5z.jpg

These are often carried together
Edit: apologies for posting the Klaas technically its to young for this thread.

I have an appreciation for German knives, although I only have a very few. I agree that they are of really good quality, at least the ones I have are.
i1gHIyS.jpg

My stag Henckels whittler and Klaas congress. Campbellclanman Campbellclanman the Henckels I have also has a thick spine. The rest of the knife would fail long before the main blade for sure!
ZUi4FwV.jpg
0aFBq5z.jpg

These are often carried together
Edit: apologies for posting the Klaas technically its to young for this thread.
Both NICE David but man that Whittler has AMAZING Stag:cool::cool::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Excellent old German knives gentlemen! I don’t have many German knives and the few I have are from the 60’s or later. This is the only old one I have that I recently acquired. I now understand the love you guys have for them! This one is an A*1 Tyler & Co celebrated cutlery stag whittler at 3.5”. BRL dates it 1866-1890. I don’t think it’s been sharpened or used. It may have been cleaned at some point but it’s in super condition.

View attachment 1168781

Now I say this Galvanic - and thank you Sir for bringing up what I was thinking a lot about this subject the other day - and that is why? why is there not more of a movement towards these knives?
If anyone in a good discussion format can display and point out just why the early German knives are not as good as the early American Cutlers - I would really like to see - in a "Lets talk about Knives discussion approach" comparisons and reasons, there is no hidden sarcasm or hidden agenda when I am saying this- but 100% the want of a good knife exploratory talk if anyone has a strong opinion, or stand out facts on this etc.:) :thumbsup:

It was after all the Early immigrant Sheffield and German Cutlers who helped America off their feet in the beginning.

Some of the Quality of the putting together of the Knife - and the beautiful Bone / Stag- just WOW factor!

Wow I see that some of you got your knickers in a twist with my not partial to German knives comment (LOL)

Some great knives posted for sure here, That knife is a beauty Herder and the Tyler knife is another.

the contribution that German cutlers made to the US market and companies cannot be understated. They really knew/know how to make a knife and I can appreciate that for sure. But we all have our preferences or quirks. I have had and still have some German made knives and like them, I think that maybe the Galvanic marked knives might be of German origin but am not sure.

Look at it this way, you won't have to compete with me for any of them :):)

Here is another that I don't think I've posted before.paknife1 (1024x683).jpg

Back