"Old Knives"

Excellent old German knives gentlemen! I don’t have many German knives and the few I have are from the 60’s or later. This is the only old one I have that I recently acquired. I now understand the love you guys have for them! This one is an A*1 Tyler & Co celebrated cutlery stag whittler at 3.5”. BRL dates it 1866-1890. I don’t think it’s been sharpened or used. It may have been cleaned at some point but it’s in super condition.

kai76, that is a fantastic example of old world German cutlery!!!
That knife checks off just about every box of what any collector would want.
Right off the bat, whittler knives are considered by most as "premium" models. And the swell center just makes it better.
Wonderful classic German stag with a very nice bar shield. And those blades with beautiful grinds and long pull just cap off that model.
The final icing on the cake is provided by its age of well past the 100 year mark. Great knife!!!

Now I say this Galvanic - and thank you Sir for bringing up what I was thinking a lot about this subject the other day - and that is why? why is there not more of a movement towards these knives?
If anyone in a good discussion format can display and point out just why the early German knives are not as good as the early American Cutlers - I would really like to see - in a "Lets talk about Knives discussion approach" comparisons and reasons, there is no hidden sarcasm or hidden agenda when I am saying this- but 100% the want of a good knife exploratory talk if anyone has a strong opinion, or stand out facts on this etc.:) :thumbsup:

It was after all the Early immigrant Sheffield and German Cutlers who helped America off their feet in the beginning.

Some of the Quality of the putting together of the Knife - and the beautiful Bone / Stag- just WOW factor!

Wow I see that some of you got your knickers in a twist with my not partial to German knives comment (LOL)

Some great knives posted for sure here, That knife is a beauty Herder and the Tyler knife is another.

the contribution that German cutlers made to the US market and companies cannot be understated. They really knew/know how to make a knife and I can appreciate that for sure. But we all have our preferences or quirks. I have had and still have some German made knives and like them, I think that maybe the Galvanic marked knives might be of German origin but am not sure.

Look at it this way, you won't have to compete with me for any of them :):)

Here is another that I don't think I've posted before.View attachment 1169521

That's a real beauty!!!

Wow I see that some of you got your knickers in a twist with my not partial to German knives comment (LOL)

Galvanic - I certainly didn't get my knickers in a twist by any means - it was more a matter of timing as I was literally thinking the other day about the more popularity of collecting the American Cutlers compared to the Early German, and I thought I would just bring it up for a discussion and thoughts.
Collecting is a very personal thing in taste, and I for one love sharing and hearing about knife topics.

I appreciate comments on what people see in knives - good knives - and wanted a good discussion on why they see this - but no body feels the need to explore this? about what they see in the make of the knife etc and share good commentary discussion with photos to make it really interesting -thats ok.

Last edited:
H herder Thank you for the nice words. The whittler sure does check all the boxes for me and so does your Krusius brothers lockback! Killer stag on it and in amazing condition to boot, what a knife! I really enjoy looking at your collection of great old German knives and I must admit it had me go hunting for them and found the Tyler stag whittler. I now see why you love the old German knives, I see the light!! Campbellclanman Campbellclanman Duncan, I wonder myself why the American knives are more popular with collectors. Maybe there’s just more of them available here in the U.S.? Majority of my knives are American and have only a handful of German knives but I see that changing! I don’t have much experience with German knives and wish I could contribute more but from seeing all the great old German knives on here, I can say they are equal in quality with the early American knives. After all, haven’t the Germans been making knives longer than Americans? One thing I do know is that with less old German knife collectors around, the more knives will be available to folks who collect them and also at slightly more affordable prices compared to American made knives.:)

I was prejudiced against German cutlery for many years, and could list what I didn't like about it!! But as my collecting matured, I grew to appreciate the pluses and benefits of German cutlery!! It's true it often has features and appearances that are unfamiliar to Sheffield/American collectors and lovers. But the consistent sturdiness and usefulness grow on you if you let it, and many I can now view as stellar examples of the useful art!!!

Sorry for the long post. I'm fortunate to count both Mike (Galvanic) and Duncan among my best knife friends. Both share a passion for collecting and learning about old knives.

To corrupt an old phrase: "There's a pocket (or collection) for every knife brand out there." I don't collect switchblades but if I ever came across a large collection I would love for the collector to teach me about them.

I started collecting Henckels because I knew very little about Case knives and I had heard there were a lot Case counterfeits, and because I used Henckels kitchen knives in delis, restaurant kitchens and butcher shops. (Still have them and use them.) But I started out collecting the red-bone handled knives that weren't made by Henckels.

I think the early German knives are among the best out there, but Sheffield and American companies do seem to get top billing from most collectors. There's a lot to learn about German knife brands, that's for sure.
From the 200 year anniversary book:
7JY6FjS.jpg

dEe4dJw.jpg

I've tried for years to get good pics of this knife. Maybe I will live long enough!
kNG15uX.jpg

9in558S.jpg

I think the early German knives are among the best out there, but Sheffield and American companies do seem to get top billing from most collectors. There's a lot to learn about German knife brands, that's for sure.
From the 200 year anniversary book:
Outstanding book and especially the knife, Mike!!! Germany was really at their artistic and intellectual zenith just prior to the 1930's!

Last edited:
Enclosed is a picture of a German "F. Herder" pre-war salesman sample ivory folder with nine blades and two pull outs.
This elegant model would rival any of the best to come out of Sheffield or the United States. There are a great many fantastic examples from various German cutlers.

View attachment 1168781

That Herder is a gem. Do you have pictures with the blades and pull outs visible?

Both NICE David but man that Whittler has AMAZING Stag:cool::cool::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks! Looking at the other stag Henckels everyone has posted,I've come to believe they were great at picking good pieces. Seem to be cut and fitted so well that there is very little shaping to fit the bolsters. That leaves a cover that is almost all bark. I know with this particular knife I got it in an pawn shop for not much money,and was very pleased with the stag. I carried it to my truck clenched in my fist like I was afraid someone was going to take it back. Lol. I didn't know anything about the pattern or maker, and immediately came to the porch for information. Sometimes it still amazes me how much I have learned about traditional knives in just a year, and how much more I dont know. Thats whay I love this thread, the history of it all just fascinates me.

Great discussion everyone, Charlie- I would love to hear one day your list of what you didn't like - as that is exactly what I want to hear and explore etc because that would open my eyes to what you already know and see - if that makes sense.
I do realise that listing this will most probably be taken the wrong way by someone so I could see a person stepping aside rather than to discuss to avoid such things from happening.

I would like to point out that I do love the early American knives too- believe me and have much to learn, as I do with all of the Cutlery firms out there - hence me poking for information, I often see a mid to later 20th century German knife and think mmm yeah ok- take or leave that one- but can say the same about a the same era of American Cutlers as well, and a good 80% of my collection is Good Ol American Knives!

I see on the other hand some many German Knives and think Wow! - as I do with many American and Sheffield Knives!

Hillbilly - I liked your knives you posted and know first hand what you are saying about the Stag and build on those Whittler beasts.

Thanks for posting those pics Mike - I can honestly say never have I handled such a beautiful Knife- and to be honest I would feel awkward to do so without gloves- I remember handling a great guys Knives and I was scared to whole time because of the respect I had for him and his Knives.

Imagine walking into that Henckels shop! ( Duncan turning to his Wife once he entered that shop - "Honey Im going to be here a while - Here's the Car keys I cant make you wait this long I will grab a taxi :D ..." )

My twisted knickers comment was a joke to Herder in response to his post to me. Please forgive me if I offended anyone with that comment, Mike

So, your'e saying that you don't like German knives AND you wear knickers??? :) :)
All in good fun my friend!!!

Lambertiana, I'll take a picture of the Herder with some blades open.

Mike R., Nice Henckels pictures.

No offence taken Galvanic :) :thumbsup:

( it made more German Knives come out :thumbsup: )

Yes that picture would be fantastic,
to see more of that knife would be a treat!

Mikes comment about the Bark being so thin and right to the edge is so true and a pleasure to see - also too in the early Sheffield’s- they knew how to make ‘me didn’t they.

Duncan, from the looks of it, you are doing quite well with Henckels/German knives. And that doesn't even begin to account for all of the other fine knives you have in your collection!

Back