"Old Knives"

XxC1x4K.jpg
44Yq4nm.jpg
f3uyjgm.jpg

Fancy that, German made knives still getting some attention. And I found this Kissing Cranes stag whittler today:):thumbsup: Its been cleaned at some point, but I just loved the stag, and its a big one at 4-1/2 inches closed. I hope its old enough for this thread, I'm not familiar with dating Kissing Cranes,though it looks to be old enough :thumbsup:
I think it's a 1978 David... Klaas started a Roman numeral system in 1972 with XI. Why so random I have no idea LoL :confused::D

I thought this knife was an interesting piece as it is both connected to Germany and England and was manufactured in the US. Through the outstanding Robeson research of Charlie Noyes, I was able to narrow down the manufacturing timeline of a fairly unusual Robeson I have. This scout model has 3 different tang stamps (each from different eras) and a fourth "Patent" tang stamp that make for an interesting mystery.

The first tang stamp on the cap/tin opener was used by Millard Robeson in 1896-99, a time when he was also having knives produced in Germany and England; ROBESON over CUTLERY:

The next tang stamp is the Patent date of Apr 25 05 as seen on the punch (pile side):

Another, lengthwise view of the pile side showing the main blade and the flathead driver/file has the 1900-16 tang stamp; ROBERSON (curved) over CO and CUTLERY:

And the final tang stamp on the main blade has the markings from 1911-21; ROBESON over SHUREDGE (script) over Rochester NY. This was the tough one as once I researched all the "script" stamps, I noticed that after 1921 the tail of the "g" did not cross the "underline." Here it plainly does with the top of the Y, from NY, peeking through. My best guess is this was manufactured in 1916, though it could be as late as 1921.:rolleyes:

Btw, I bumped the contrast on this final image to enhance the visual detail. I hope someone finds this as interesting as I did since I'm following in the visual footsteps of giants, in this thread!!!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
JJ Cahill JJ Cahill - Your Scout somewhere between 1911 - 1921 when Robeson were at the very top of the game and did produce knives as good as you could get - quite literally! Beauty my friend!

JJ Cahill JJ Cahill - Your Scout somewhere between 1911 - 1921 when Robeson were at the very top of the game and did produce knives as good as you could get - quite literally! Beauty my friend!
Thank you very much, Duncan!!! I was happily surprised at the strong back springs and the exceptionally keen edge, not to mention the great work on the covers!

Well vintage is considered 50 years so it isn't far off ;) In 1978 I was 4 years old and this was Billboard's Top 15 Songs :D

View attachment 1173288

In '78 I was just a gleam in my Dads eyes lol, I came along in '79. And looking it up one of my favorite Waylon Jennings songs was number 2 on the country chart, Coward of the county by Kenny Rogers was number one, lol
Knife content
Z9xNvYi.jpg

Estimating this one to be right at 100 years old,apparently this was the top song of 1919

:D:thumbsup:

Love that Challenge HJ Hillbilly.

I just got in a few camillus Knives and thought I would try to make some mad dashes in and out of the pouring rain today- we did have some breaks where the Sun came out- I didnt have the time to chose and set up a good lighting area- it was either real bright Sunlight - or - Dull!

Two nice Cattle Knives by Camillus, this first one was from the Camillus own Factory Display a Three Bladed Beaut, now the direct sunlight when just touching on a mark made it look like scratches - please know that this Knife is actually Mint! Never used of course and it's such a pleasure to have this Knife!I'm so sorry the Photos do no Justice to the Knife whatsoever- but I took photos in a very rushed manner in different light to try and help us look at the Knife.
Highly Polished from Factory these Blades walk and Talk like nothing else, Big thick Springs with Steel liners, Tang Stamp of HIGH CARBON STEEL, USA.
Main blade is etched as you can see CRAFTSMAN STA SHARP 9484.
As we know Sta Sharp are always a nice Knife and the seller whom I know reminded me that anything with Sta Sharp Camillus put that extra effort into- it shows! This Knife still has factory Oil in the Joints!...:thumbsup:

VERlf11.jpg

DRFs6LJ.jpg

ma2FMR3.jpg

6ihrfqY.jpg

Please forgive the quick wipe marks on the Blades in the Photo's below - Showers - and trying to fly through the motions :oops:
The is very cool Spey Blade is Pristine....

0Uhq2Je.jpg

What some would call the norm in Rogers Stag Bone- This Knife has some very nice Bone- just so much to like in this Knife that is in exceptional Condition completely throughout!

Last edited:
As we know Stay Sharp are always a nice Knife and the seller whom I know reminded me that anything with Stay Sharp Camillus put that extra effort into- it shows! This Knife still has factory Oil in the Joints!...:thumbsup:
Wow Duncan, your new Stay Sharp Camillus is a real beauty!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Another Cattle Knife that I personally think is an outstanding knife in every way, a very seriously Built Knife - Gorgeous Bone Wonderful Blades, and of course a Punch! :) :thumbsup:

A Four Bladed Monster that just makes m!e sit down and stare at everything this knife has, The Beautiful Bone simply cannot be appreciated fully until this Knife is held in the Hand! Nice Federal Shield, The Jigged Bone is- well it's hard to describe just how nice it is - the lighter Colours leap out when exposed to strong Natural Light, yet in other lights the Beautifully Jigged Bone seems such a deep rich Brown - just beautiful!

This Knife has some Rust spot staining that I will attend to very soon- but I can honestly say that if it weren't for those Spots this Cattle knife would be a serious contender for the winners Podium, this Knife is pure Quality throughout!
Like a few other of my Sta Sharp Cattle knives- this too has a nice detailed Filed Middle Liner between the two thick pristine Springs

IQlhrbd.jpg

2qRoiGf.jpg

Different Light in the below shots....

GBuxcgG.jpg

c3bOWO4.jpg

Staining inside the curved Lip of the Punch makes this photo below seem as though the Punch has had a Hard time- the Punch is in beautiful condition....

ZEd1JrZ.jpg

v5oWLog.jpg

ikSrkKa.jpg

Last edited:
Another Cattle Knife that I personally think is an outstanding knife in every way, a very seriously Built Knife - Gorgeous Bone Wonderful Blades, and of course a Punch! :) :thumbsup:
I can't imagine it getting any better than this cattle knife; congratulations on your latest show stopper!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Totally off subject to the next Knife I am about to show

Camillus- Oh man what an absolute Travesty that this company - along with the likes of Schrade too - had to close it's Doors, the amount of amazing early Cutlery Firms that have left us have not been in numbers replaced- I think this is why we need to embrace Americas GEC, this is the present and future in top shelf Cutlery and this company's Knives will someday be in this Thread as examples of how it should be....

This Knife looks at first Glance to be somewhat a bit beat up, but lets take a closer look at this wonderful Knife, sure it has Rust stains- some that have left tiny pitting to a degree, some scratch Marks from the small amount of Sharpening this Knife has actually had, The curved Threaded Pocket worn Bolsters shows the previous love, The gorgeous Bone Jig work is sublime it's not Knarly - and deep, rather its mellow jigged and in places so much so that it leaves quite large area of Bone high relief that kind of trick the eyes thinking is this Stag lovingly worn down? but we know its not, theres even a Worm Groove from the Mark side Bolster that runs under the Shield!

The sleek serpentine Frame allows the Joints to sink out of view- Liner Work to die for- very finely Coined on top of The liners above, and the Liners underneath then turn into a more serious File Work of sorts.

HvOx01Z.jpg

bgb3Nq9.jpg

PxXY2d1.jpg

91sMoDd.jpg

R31eRxq.jpg

uF6GYX6.jpg

High Carbon Steel USA Stamped on the Tang, and Sta Sharp does it again now for this Knife stately Stamped SENATOR, as well stating it's part of the prestigious STA SHARP family!

IbcSg8U.jpg

EICxaXV.jpg

Someone carried this beautiful Knife for some time, sharpened it- but never abused this Knife- and in my opinion this Knife hasnt actually done all that much work, but rather been a companion for a Knife loving person, and I want to thank that person as I reap the rewards for showing such respect to a great Knife, and I will in turn do the same

Last edited:
The sleek serpentine Frame allows the Joints to sink out of view- Liner Work to die for- very finely Coined on top of The liners above, and the Liners underneath then turn into a more serious File Work of sorts.
The details of this Camillus Stay Sharp are amazing. While GEC is todays top traditional US knife manufacturer, from what I've seen in your recent examples as well as so many other exquisite examples in this forum, the high caliber cutlery artisans of the past cannot be replicated, sadly. I can think of many parallels in the world of art, classical music and furniture, to name a few, that will also never be matched.

Wow Duncan, your new Stay Sharp Camillus is a real beauty!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I can't imagine it getting any better than this cattle knife; congratulations on your latest show stopper!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you My friend!:)

Here is another Nice Knife, another Camillus creation, this time a big burly Stockman, sporting the CRAFTSMAN , FORGED STEEL 9470 etch on the Main that sports that Factory High Polish and Long pull!

You can be forgiven for thinking that this knife isnt right up there with the last Cattle knives - Im guessing the more toned down Jigged Bone - Squared Bolsters of a Stockman may take you there, but here is your very typical Camillus brilliance at work, solid construction with beautiful Walk and Talk, this Knife for it's age has done very little work,Staining here and there that look so incredibly worse in the Photo's as in real life- when holding this Knife I appreciate greatly the condition this knife is in and how for a knife should have been in a Rancher's Hands working hard - this Beauty has had one very easy life!

The Spey has never been used, somewhere out there is a Thankful Bull out there!and I love the Sheepsfoot Blade that is more GEC's Ramsfoot design!- this Blade has done next to no work!

pHr3kfM.jpg

uic8HF0.jpg

v1IL6qo.jpg

AnzqkPc.jpg

A1erfqc.jpg

A nice Camillus Stockman with very little miles on the Clock!- Welcome Home my friend!

I will just finish off with this little Sweetheart of a Pen Knife, A wee Schrade Cut Co.Walden.

I'm really thankful to have this gorgeous Knife as it again not done a lot of work, heavily Patina'd and it has the very tip blunt but hey!! this is a very old Knife!
I do collect up these lovely wee Pen knives- mainly because these knives have every darned thing you could ever imagine packed in on such a small frame and 9 times out of 10 these knives are superbly made to the highest Quality!

I am sure that one would have to look very hard to get a better example of Schrades pre-PeachSeed Pic Bone - Man this Bone is simply outrageously gorgeous- Talk about get lost when looking into the work!

4pxoh5D.jpg

p2tAZqU.jpg

The tops of the blades seem to be even more heavily patina'd- as if exposed to an out-gassing cell neigbour at some stage of it's life?
F4SQW9M.jpg

KPGmrld.jpg

Love this little knife

Love that Challenge HJ Hillbilly.

I just got in a few camillus Knives and thought I would try to make some mad dashes in and out of the pouring rain today- we did have some breaks where the Sun came out- I didnt have the time to chose and set up a good lighting area- it was either real bright Sunlight - or - Dull!

Two nice Cattle Knives by Camillus, this first one was from the Camillus own Factory Display a Three Bladed Beaut, now the direct sunlight when just touching on a mark made it look like scratches - please know that this Knife is actually Mint! Never used of course and it's such a pleasure to have this Knife!I'm so sorry the Photos do no Justice to the Knife whatsoever- but I took photos in a very rushed manner in different light to try and help us look at the Knife.
Highly Polished from Factory these Blades walk and Talk like nothing else, Big thick Springs with Steel liners, Tang Stamp of HIGH CARBON STEEL, USA.
Main blade is etched as you can see CRAFTSMAN STA SHARP 9484.
As we know Sta Sharp are always a nice Knife and the seller whom I know reminded me that anything with Sta Sharp Camillus put that extra effort into- it shows! This Knife still has factory Oil in the Joints!...:thumbsup:

VERlf11.jpg

DRFs6LJ.jpg

ma2FMR3.jpg

6ihrfqY.jpg

Please forgive the quick wipe marks on the Blades in the Photo's below - Showers - and trying to fly through the motions :oops:
The is very cool Spey Blade is Pristine....

0Uhq2Je.jpg

What some would call the norm in Rogers Stag Bone- This Knife has some very nice Bone- just so much to like in this Knife that is in exceptional Condition completely throughout!

Bunch of fantastic Sta-Sharps buddy, hard if not impossible to find in this condition, great addition to your collection!

Superb group, Duncan . . . where do you find this buried treasure?! I know we all love peachseed, but really, that Cut Co pick bone puts peachseed in the shade! That jigging (and on the 4-blade as well) must feel amazing in the hand. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

What time frame are the Sta-Sharps from? Thanks for the great wake-up show!

So many great knives posted lately everyone! Sipping on my coffee and looking at all the beautiful knives on here, it’s a great Sunday morning! This is definitely my favorite thread on here.

Campbellclanman Campbellclanman Congrats on your haul of excellent Camillus knives Duncan, they’re all in great condition! I especially like that 4 blade sta-sharp cattle knife.:thumbsup: I love wee old pen knives myself and that Schrade is just classic. I have its older brother which is one of my all time favorite knives. Here it is together with a Camillus pen which is about the same age and both have the curved stamps.

Back