"Old Knives"

Duncan, your little coke bottle is a pipe smoker's knife.

I had one way back, circa 1988. I sold it and Sarah fussed because she had it displayed on the antique secretary with her grandfather's pipes. I have tried to find her another and have seen a couple on Ebay, but they were later and had a pipe stamped or burned into one handle.

The punch or awl was used to scrape the inside of the bowl. The top of the bottle was the tamper.

Every one I've seen was by Camillus.

Hi Charlie.
Thank you for that and everyone else in the comments on that wee Camillus. Charlie I left a note on your profile page.

Good ol’ Jeff was first in - I have see better dedicated pipe Knives longer in build and instead if a Punch - these Pipe Cleaning knives have a long sleek pointy Spike! All this with a dedicated tamper at the end. Often the ones I’ve seen are English made.
Never have I seen an Awl or Punch used on an pipe knife - but it makes sense!
Thank you all.

TheChunk91, Thanks, I love old knives but am a sucker for any other old tool as well.

Gev, Fine looking old Case & Sons classic pattern.

Duncan, Great to see you back and posting my friend!!!

tongueriver, Wonderful example and look forward to seeing some better pictures when you get it.

Here is a distinguished fellow at well over 100 years old sporting some of the most beautiful bolsters that any knife could hope to have.
Marked "A.W. Wadsworth Germany", this old pearl handled half congress model has cast nickel silver bolsters which are integral to the liners (all one piece).
Sheffield cutlers popularized this style (but with a different mechanical process) in the mid 1800s, but the cost was prohibitive for them by the later 1800s.

View attachment 1196985

View attachment 1196986

TheChunk91, Thanks, I love old knives but am a sucker for any other old tool as well.

tongueriver, Wonderful example and look forward to seeing some better pictures when you get it.

Here is a distinguished fellow at well over 100 years old sporting some of the most beautiful bolsters that any knife could hope to have.
Marked "A.W. Wadsworth Germany", this old pearl handled half congress model has cast nickel silver bolsters which are integral to the liners (all one piece).
Sheffield cutlers popularized this style (but with a different mechanical process) in the mid 1800s, but the cost was prohibitive for them by the later 1800s.

View attachment 1196985

View attachment 1196986
That's a grand old knife, Herder! Love the bolsters!

View attachment 1196985

View attachment 1196986
Thank you, Sir ! Rare to see such an ornate congress and what a pleasure too. Thank you for the look.

Duncan, The prayers are ever present !

Hang in there, Duncan, convalescence is hard, but necessary. I'm going crazy recovering from my neck surgery, so I have some idea what you're going through. My wife won't let me do anything, and I feel like a complete bum.

This is a neat little gents' knife from the early Schrade Walden period right after WWII. Complete and minty, I'm fortunate to have it. Each side of the file has a different grit, one medium and the other fine. Beautiful workmanship throughout.

NJYP0GX.jpg

bme9FTL.jpg

I got this nice Orange Blossom whittler from Cattaraugus, its seemingly unused. I did pay up for it but I've wanted an Orange Blossom since going through chuko's tribute thread to the pattern. I don't think there are many other patterns that display a cutler's talent moreso than an Orange Blossom. Pictures are from my desk at work, not the best lol.
orange blossom.jpg

One of my favorite patterns and for pretty much the reasons you cited.

I need one from The Terrier Cutlery Company.

Still searching.

Back