1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

"Old Knives"

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by VCM3, Jan 21, 2008.

1. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Nice to see you up and at'em Duncan!! Paul's been giving me some hints about your progress, and it sounds good!! Hoping to actually see your face in April next year!!
    All goodness my friend!!

Half/Stop, knowtracks and paulhilborn like this.
  2. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Charlie thank you my friend. Whew! A bit rattled but I will get there- thank you so much Charle.

3. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    We know you will be here!! Heai well and without pain Good Buddy!!

Campbellclanman likes this.
  4. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    Hi Charlie.
    Thank you for that and everyone else in the comments on that wee Camillus. Charlie I left a note on your profile page.

Good ol’ Jeff was first in - I have see better dedicated pipe Knives longer in build and instead if a Punch - these Pipe Cleaning knives have a long sleek pointy Spike! All this with a dedicated tamper at the end. Often the ones I’ve seen are English made.
    Never have I seen an Awl or Punch used on an pipe knife - but it makes sense!
    Thank you all.

5. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    This Cattaraugus jack @ 4 1/8 inches might fit in with the other slender jacks being shown here. So knice in the hand. Seller's bad picture. Showing the best of the pics. c6.jpg

6. herder

herder Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2007
    TheChunk91, Thanks, I love old knives but am a sucker for any other old tool as well.

Gev, Fine looking old Case & Sons classic pattern.

Duncan, Great to see you back and posting my friend!!!

tongueriver, Wonderful example and look forward to seeing some better pictures when you get it.

Here is a distinguished fellow at well over 100 years old sporting some of the most beautiful bolsters that any knife could hope to have.
    Marked "A.W. Wadsworth Germany", this old pearl handled half congress model has cast nickel silver bolsters which are integral to the liners (all one piece).
    Sheffield cutlers popularized this style (but with a different mechanical process) in the mid 1800s, but the cost was prohibitive for them by the later 1800s.

BF Wadsworth Pearl 1 .jpg

BF Wadsworth Pearl 2 .jpg

willard0341, ISKRA, glennbad and 16 others like this.
  7. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    That's a grand old knife, Herder! Love the bolsters!

knowtracks and waynorth like this.
  8. Gevonovich

Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    Thank you, Sir ! Rare to see such an ornate congress and what a pleasure too. Thank you for the look.

Duncan, The prayers are ever present !

9. herder

Feb 24, 2007
    Thanks, Peregrin. My wife has asked if I ever get tired of looking at knives? I replied (with a puzzled look) "no, I don't". :)

10. herder

Feb 24, 2007
    Thanks Gev.
    I don't think much can hold Duncan down, but a good idea none the less to keep him in our thoughts as you suggest. :)

11. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    Beautiful knife Herder masterpieces each on so those early gems.
    Thank you for your thoughts folks - I just had a Shower a feel I’ve completed a Marathon lol.
    Keep those nice knives coming in folks.

12. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Great A.W.Wadsworth, Neal!!! What a rare find!!!

knowtracks likes this.
  13. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Hang in there, Duncan, convalescence is hard, but necessary. I'm going crazy recovering from my neck surgery, so I have some idea what you're going through. My wife won't let me do anything, and I feel like a complete bum.

This is a neat little gents' knife from the early Schrade Walden period right after WWII. Complete and minty, I'm fortunate to have it. Each side of the file has a different grit, one medium and the other fine. Beautiful workmanship throughout.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

willard0341, ISKRA, glennbad and 15 others like this.
  14. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Another beautiful knife, Herder; just superlative. Meg doesn't say much about my knives but I think I detect some eye rolling occasionally.

15. herder

Feb 24, 2007
    Thanks, Campbellclanman, waynorth, and tongueriver.

Nice gentleman's knife black mamba and I love the original box with that great name, "The Zephyr". :)

16. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Thank you, herder!

17. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    Kinfolks K380 Trailmaster. Excellent blade shape.
    [​IMG]

Cutfinger, blademan 13, kai76 and 8 others like this.
  18. North Shore

North Shore Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 28, 2016
    I got this nice Orange Blossom whittler from Cattaraugus, its seemingly unused. I did pay up for it but I've wanted an Orange Blossom since going through chuko's tribute thread to the pattern. I don't think there are many other patterns that display a cutler's talent moreso than an Orange Blossom. Pictures are from my desk at work, not the best lol.
    orange blossom.jpg

willard0341, ISKRA, glennbad and 14 others like this.
  19. CNoyes

CNoyes

May 30, 2009
    One of my favorite patterns and for pretty much the reasons you cited.

I need one from The Terrier Cutlery Company.

Still searching.

waynorth likes this.
  20. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Did Terrier make one, Charlie N???