1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

"Old Knives"

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by VCM3, Jan 21, 2008.

1. herder

herder Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2007
    leghog, Great old Kinfolks hunting knife. Enclosed is an ad from 1955 to go with that fine old knife.

North Shore, Beautiful pearl Cattaraugus lobster model. What a treat to find it in such wonderful condition.

BF Kinfolks Trailmaster.jpg

2. herder

Feb 24, 2007
    It's not commonly known that Boker made some great Bowie styled knives around the early to mid 1900s.
    Here is a lovely example which is also shown and described along with other Bowie models in the new Boker book.

BF Bowie Boker large  .jpg

3. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    More great stuff, Herder; Does ARBOLITO mean 'little tree,' and were knives marked so always/sometimes/ made or partially made in Argentina?

4. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Thank you for asking that Question- actually better than I would have Cal as I too have been wondering this! :)

5. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Arbolito definitely means "little Tree"! herder???:)

6. herder

Feb 24, 2007
    Thank you, and yes Arbolito translates to "Little Tree" in Spanish.
    We spent years gathering information and research material for the Boker book and found it a very complicated and equally fascinating story.
    Basically, there were two seperate Boker companies (one in Germany and one in the United States) with off-shoots in Canada and Mexico that were all run by Boker family relatives.
    The "Arbolito" name was used on German made knives which were primarily meant for the Mexican and South American markets, and distributed through "Casa Boker" in Mexico starting in 1865.
    It wasn't until 1983 that Boker had knives made in Argentina through a joint venture with the Saltzman family in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    I would certainly recommend and appreciate the purchase of the new boker book which has a great deal of history and information along with many beautiful knives shown and charts to date them.

BF Boker Book Pair .jpg

7. tongueriver

Dec 28, 2007
    I should have known more; I do have the book!

8. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Everyone should have the book!!!

9. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I got one! Should have know Cals question - I totally blame the Hospital drugs!

A quick note:
    We are really lucky to have among us a few Knife Book Authors - embrace this mighty privilege- two books so bought with me to Hospital - this was one of them.
    The Böker Book pictures above should be considered the Bible on anything relating to the Amazing Böker Brand.
    Both Neal Punchard and Ricky Ray did an exceptional job resulting in an Amazing Book.

Augie, Cutfinger, r8shell and 2 others like this.
  10. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    Thanks.

11. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    325-6

[​IMG]

12. tongueriver

Dec 28, 2007
    Beautiful CASE!

13. herder

Feb 24, 2007
    Thank you tongueriver, waynorth, and Campbellclanman, and thanks for owning the Boker book!!! :thumbsup:
    There are so many intelligent and knowledgeable enthusiasts on this forum including authors of various works as Duncan suggested.
    Subscribing to knife magazines and purchasing books is a great way to help support the hobby that we all enjoy.

paulhilborn and r8shell like this.
  14. herder

Feb 24, 2007
    Yes it is. :)

15. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Neil, ordered last night, excited for it to arrive:thumbsup: love my switchblade book you gifted me:thumbsup::cool:

knowtracks and Campbellclanman like this.
  16. herder

Feb 24, 2007
    Thanks Paul, I really appreciate that my friend!!!

17. North Shore

North Shore Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 28, 2016
    Naugatuck Cutlery co? Cant find them just Union Knife Co. Its a cool relic Barlow, missing the mark scale but the liner is blued which is neat. Maybe ill see if Glennbad can rehaft in ebony? Or leave it alone? Cool little history piece found on ebay for cheap fun.
    naugatuck barlow.jpg
    naugatuck barlow1.jpg
    naugatuck barlow2.jpg

18. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    WOW North Shore!!! a first for me, I had not seen the knife stamp before , let alone the bolster:thumbsup: very:cool:

19. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    I don't get much of an opportunity to post here but this knife is unique. It's an unused Schrade wire jack with a copper blade. It's called a fuse cutter as it was used in the explosives industry where steel could cause a catastrophic spark. IMG_1116-1024x921.JPG

20. danno50

danno50 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Goins has a few listings for the Naugatuck Cutlery Co., but are all, I believe, the same company. Dates from 1872 to 1891. He says it was one of the lesser known cutlery companies in Naugatuck. He also says the curved marking, like yours and mine date from 1872 to 1888. I also have one, which I believe I previously posted in this thread, somewhere?

RIMG1224.JPG RIMG1226.JPG