"Old Knives"

Goins has a few listings for the Naugatuck Cutlery Co., but are all, I believe, the same company. Dates from 1872 to 1891. He says it was one of the lesser known cutlery companies in Naugatuck. He also says the curved marking, like yours and mine date from 1872 to 1888. I also have one, which I believe I previously posted in this thread, somewhere?

RIMG1224.JPG RIMG1226.JPG

Cool, I do not have a Goins book I should get one. I believe they call that a carpenter's jack right? I thought my knife was older from the drawn swedge from tip to tang

Goins has a few listings for the Naugatuck Cutlery Co., but are all, I believe, the same company. Dates from 1872 to 1891. He says it was one of the lesser known cutlery companies in Naugatuck. He also says the curved marking, like yours and mine date from 1872 to 1888. I also have one, which I believe I previously posted in this thread, somewhere?

View attachment 1202789 View attachment 1202790

Wonderful rare jack Dan, that is one of my favorite patterns.

Beautiful old Knife North Shore - in all honesty what Augie and Charlie said- that old Knife is way better off left alone- the rarity and all Historical value would be flushed down the Loo if re- handled. It speaks volumes as it stands now imo.

Alan - that’s a neat ol Schrade you don’t see hanging around the neighbourhood often !

Kai my friend - That’s an outstanding Lockback- now that’s what you call a Sabre Grind!!!!!!! Beautiful Knife! New York Knives are something else aren’t they? Incredible

Campbellclanman Campbellclanman Thank you Duncan, NYK sure made awesome knives! The edge is pretty dull and I don’t really want to sharpen it but am curious if this blade can actually get sharp because it’s pretty thick all the way to the edge. I’ll probably leave it as is and use it as a butter knife.:)

North Shore North Shore I too agree with everyone else to leave that relic as is. It’ll be nice to give it another chance and get it re-handled but it wouldn’t be half as neat as it is now!

Last edited:
Naugatuck Cutlery co? Cant find them just Union Knife Co. Its a cool relic Barlow, missing the mark scale but the liner is blued which is neat. Maybe ill see if Glennbad can rehaft in ebony? Or leave it alone? Cool little history piece found on ebay for cheap fun.
View attachment 1202770
View attachment 1202771
View attachment 1202772
I have to add my WOW !!! Like finding treasure from antiquity. I wonder about the two open circles on either end of the N....is it a symbol or free expression.

I would love to hear from anyone who has seen or own anything like this lovely wee thing.
At just over 2 & 3/4 inches long closed - this delicate Ebony Handled four Line stamped HJ is so so well made- it honestly makes you appreciate these great Cutler Firms.

PLEASE - forgive me for the painfully terrible at night indoor shots of this knife- Just yuk :oops:

This is not the first Camillus I have seen using the Robeson Punch- or to be safe a Robeson styled punch- I cannot see any difference at all in the Punch to be anything different than the Robeson's Punch- of course slimmer to fit the very delicate small frame of this knife.

Nice Walk and Talk- Silver Nickel Bolsters and Silver Nickel Liners and Pins - This Knife has had very little use, just a great little and interesting HJ made by an amazing U.S Cutler firm - a welcome addition to my HJ Family!:)
It came in a wee Pouch that itself is Tapered to fit the Small and interesting Bolster - original? no markings on the Clip fastners to indicate Camillus.

Why this Shape? To represent a Bottle - Bolster upwards? Has Gold Lettering of the name A.ECKELS on the Pile Ebony handle.

ljvgUK7.jpg

sRSAM2F.jpg

KsZqEyy.jpg

rTfH0A3.jpg

IVC7moa.jpg

Our good friend, Duncan, barely home from the hospital, kindly sent this knife to my wife, Sarah, to replace the one I sold.

When I showed her the knife and told her what and why Duncan had done, she asked, "Did he send a penny, too?"

Attached to Duncan's note was a New Zealand coin.

Haha - Thank you Charlie and Charlie - we all have these wee gaps in our collections etc, so when there's an opportunity to help fill that void - its just cool!
I kinda think that that wee HJ is really neat- I'd never seen one before, glad I got to!

Wonderful unique examples shown from North Shore, joeradza, danno50, and kai76, thanks for the pictures.

Unique wire jack, joeradza , nice find!
Beautiful English jack, Nick! The master blade has a lot going for it, with the saber grind and the deeply cut swedge!
Great Schrade barlow, Paul T, very nice condition!

Back