"Old Knives"

Talk about some great knives shown recently...
TheChunk91, fine old Schrade Barlow and very neat to see the original "beighly" etch on the blade.
Kai76, That's a stunning old knife, teardrop models have such an elegant look.
North Shore, A wonderful large hunter model and another of my favorite patterns.
Campbellclanman, You sure come up with some grand knives. The Schrades are certainly nice, but my eyes were drawn right to the Henckels pair.
Especially to the "Deutsches Armeemesser" model, what a fantastic work of mechanical art.

Duncan, I would call the handles on that Chain-boy's knife pickbone.:cool:
You young'uns may not remember, but our pants had buttons on the waist-band to accomodate suspenders!! Those, or Bib-Jeans strap-buttons were the perfect places to secure your chain knives especially if your Bibs had chest pockets!!!:)

Some great old knives have been posted recently everyone, just wonderful!

Here is one that is not fancy but I find interesting, the catalog scan is from the 30's, height of the Depression so I would imagine there was a market for a simple cheap knife. This single blade large jack 4 1/2" fits the bill, advertised as the do anything knife.

IMG_0890.jpg IMG_0891.jpg IMG_0894.jpg pg1127-796x1024.jpg

I really really like this Knife! Hope you have enjoyed viewing it!

vu8UsEp.jpg

IWD5Bp3.jpg

6D83R3x.jpg

"Enjoyed" is the word for it. That knife is amazing!

Duncan, I would call the handles on that Chain-boy's knife pickbone.:cool:
You young'uns may not remember, but our pants had buttons on the waist-band to accomodate suspenders!! Those, or Bib-Jeans strap-buttons were the perfect places to secure your chain knives especially if your Bibs had chest pockets!!!:)

Aha!
That’s interesting- and would be the perfect way to wear such a chain- the loop slotted over the Button on my Shirt perfectly- never would that have fallen off!
Thank you Charlie for that! I actually really like that Boys knife set up - immediately it takes you back to yesteryears with its original chain!

Thank you for the kind comments on the knives shown :)

Augie- I like it! That’s a knife that would display well my friend!

Heres a Henckels that I am very pleased to get hold of, Stamped, Henckels Zwillingswerk, a Knife made for the more Local Market? also stamped Deutsches Armeemesser - speaking to our friend Herder- he let me know that this doesn't not mean its an official German Military Knife- rather one that they could purchase individually.
The making of this Knife is something else - the Stag is simply Gorgeous- the small touches added to such a knife is impressive- every Brass Liner is Coined, note the nice touch of a Fancy Shoulder to the long slim Marlin Type Spike, even the tops of the extra wee tools- the Pick and the Tweezers that slot into the Stag Handle are still there- and have wee fancy shaped tops, the walk and Talk of this Knife is superb and I am so happy to add this great Knife to my Henckels Collection....

There's a LOT of Metal packed into this Stout Frame!

vu8UsEp.jpg

vgd7ADW.jpg

You can see that nice "Shoulder of the Spike- Top Right...
IWD5Bp3.jpg

6D83R3x.jpg

OxqJYF4.jpg

BeZ0zLM.jpg

The Main is a Lockback- and to close it- one must depress the "Hoofpick" Hinge down to release the Blade.

I really really like this Knife! Hope you have enjoyed viewing it!

I have some nice Sta-Sharps by Camillus to post up soon!

That's a great find! I would have to carry it in a sheath, though. I bet it would weigh your pocket down. What is the closed length?

Fantastic Challenge, North Shore!
Very nice Schrades, Duncan! Great to find a boy's knife with the original chain. The two Henckels are beauties with exceptional stag! I especially like the texture and color of the stag on the second one.

Wow!- Now Herder my friend- " That aint no Taggin' " that's raising the Bar! A beauty - that must be a rare Knife indeed.

Thank you for the kind comments everyone, Lambertiana Sir- That Henckels is just a tad over 4 inches closed.

Scout Knives, over a period of time I have managed to acquire some extremely nice Scouts, it's got to the stage now that I came to the decision that If I do buy another Scout- it would have to be a very very tidy example- as I have many very nice ones - so rather than duplicating- Can I do better?

That's a hard question when looking at - say a very nice New York Scout with Etches- Stunning Bone- Rare Shield etc- but..... it may have either Patina, non-live Rust stains etc - so the next level is either Excellent or Mint in Collectors terms - which can be quite impossible these days unless you are in the Know- and being here in New Zealand - lol I couldn't be further away from the Know- and that's ok!

So when the opportunity arose that I could obtain a brand that is partial to me- a Camillus Sta- Sharp Scout that is Mint...... Yes...you have my full attention Sir!
Sta- Sharp, High Carbon Steel, Circa 1927 - 1940.

My friends, I am so so pleased to be able to share with you a knife that I consider myself extremely lucky to be the caretaker of for quite some time I hope, This amazing Knife has never been cleaned, this is as Mint as one could ever hope to get.
Inside the Liners, - just everywhere you look- this knife is just so so immaculate that these Photo's are just all wrong and show nothing to the quality this knife really is.
Camillus pulled everything out the Bag when it came to producing Knives with the STA- SHARP etching - extremely high Quality Knives - so here's my new Scout, I feel blessed that the last owner entrusted this lovely knife to me, I will certainly carry on the most splendid job that he did in maintaining this Beauty.....
Gorgeous, Beautiful Bone on these upcoming examples......

rrzZ34A.jpg

7RtBxKG.jpg

cJRD7rK.jpg

The Highly Factory Polished Blades are so difficult to Photograph- in this photo it makes the two rub marks look severe- in real life they are very fine and faint!

VWgOxPc.jpg

MWEjvLF.jpg

I LOVE Camillus's Spiral Punch- it's just so darned attractive!
4TgeC7e.jpg

LuK9Kx0.jpg

IsP008O.jpg

Last edited:
Another Very Nice Camillus Sta- Sharp, High Carbon Steel Knife, Main Blade prolifically Etched with Sta-Sharp along with SPORTSMAN ( and a emblem of ) a Four Leaf Clover, then 94. Again reining from the same era between 1927 - 1940.
Again- Stunning Bone, Tidy wee Federal Shield, lovely Sabre Grind and the Walk and Talk of the nice full blades just makes one melt!

le09BTQ.jpg

p8mp2zH.jpg

tjvoI9q.jpg

tHV5Zpj.jpg

LPrMYvT.jpg

hD0bdTS.jpg

NK00o1F.jpg

Another lovely Camillus arrived, Oh man I just cant tell you just how I enjoy these Knives- I feel Camillus did a job equal to Cases Red Bone on these Knives - and that's a pretty brave thing to say, and is my opinion only- as bias as it obviously is :oops:

This Lovely Stockman, another 1927 - 1940 era Knife has seen use- although not particularly that much but at one time the angles went a bit wrong with the previous owner and they honed the complete face on a couple of Blades- otherwise this Knife would be so so Mint!- never mind- the Knife itself still deserves a great place in a Camillus Stay-Sharp display.

9L5xwOn.jpg

YZITfjA.jpg

dHavAtx.jpg

dRvaJ4b.jpg

Back