"Old Knives"

Nice to find your knife in an ad/catalog!! Is there a date, Duncan??

Charlie I think that catalog was 1930.
That what someone else had stated anyway!

I’m looking for the address - I might order a few @$1.59 each - depends on the Shipping price though. :D
Seeing those old prices is just amazing!!:D
The difference in pearl pens and others is interesting!! That stag jack is the cheapest one!!:eek:

Last edited:
I haven't had much to post of late because I have focused on recent knife releases for the last 6 months to a year. The old knife thread is my favorite thread here in the traditional sub forum and one I always check in on. Here are two that have just come my way:thumbsup:

Both are straight line SCHRADE CUT CO's. (circa 1917-1946) The Hawkbill arrived Friday (thanks Eric):thumbsup: It is a wonderful knife with honest use revealing a ton of character:cool: it is solid and centered and pretty full blade wise. The bone is amazing both visually and in hand.
The easy open Jack has all the same traits as the Hawkbill and is one I posted sometime back in this thread, then after some friendly persuasion I let it go. The forum member (Jerome);) sent me a pm recently saying he was going to offer it up for sale and I had first shot at bringing it back home...it was a no brainer, thanks Jerome:)

It would be neat to know the years when the jigged bone changed?

5hHG8q.jpg

koWntK.jpg

NcJESN.jpg

MzB1sF.jpg

Oh boy Paul!!!
Hearing about these but now seeing them both!! :eek:

This is not good for a healing Heart my friend - Both are just outrageously gorgeous!

I always call the Bone on your Pruner Schrades "Early PeachSeed", and the bone on your absolutely stunning EO Jack simply "Peachseed", it would be great for Charlie to view this- and PLEASE forgive me as I remember a conversation about Schrade Bone- and yes there talk of Basketweave, but also - Just what would be THE proper naming of the earlier Bone on Paul's Hawkbill? - if in fact it is earlier ( which I think it is ?).

Paul your comment on when the Bones Changed? I wonder if they coexisted in manufacture for a time - or there was a sudden stop for the one so the Peachseed could continue from then on - really interesting.

Nice full blades on Both!, Beautiful bone on both - and to think these two are near hitting getting a Letter from the Queen to congratulate them on hitting a 100!

I'll give ya a $50 for my friend the both them - Hey no need to thank me matey- I'd help you out anytime you know this.

Oh boy Paul!!!
Hearing about these but now seeing them both!! :eek:

This is not good for a healing Heart my friend - Both are just outrageously gorgeous!

I always call the Bone on your Pruner Schrades "Early PeachSeed", and the bone on your absolutely stunning EO Jack simply "Peachseed", it would be great for Charlie to view this- and PLEASE forgive me as I remember a conversation about Schrade Bone- and yes there talk of Basketweave, but also - Just what would be THE proper naming of the earlier Bone on Paul's Hawkbill? - if in fact it is earlier ( which I think it is ?).

Paul your comment on when the Bones Changed? I wonder if they coexisted in manufacture for a time - or there was a sudden stop for the one so the Peachseed could continue from then on - really interesting.

Nice full blades on Both!, Beautiful bone on both - and to think these two are near hitting getting a Letter from the Queen to congratulate them on hitting a 100!

I'll give ya a $50 for my friend the both them - Hey no need to thank me matey- I'd help you out anytime you know this.

Thanks Duncan, I never thought of the different bone co-existing as I assumed one replaced the othero_O but you may be right:thumbsup: and on the $50.00 offer, DEAL!!! my friend, honestly, I would've taken $40.00;):D

Wonderful Schrade folders Paul! That Hawkbill has that great post Pickbone pre Peachseed jigged bone:thumbsup:. I call it divot or scoop jigged bone. I think Charlie postulated that this variety or style of jigged bone may have been produced on the George Schrade jigging machine. This style of jigging is also found on NYKC folders. I have several with this same pattern on Schrade and NYKC knives. Maybe the George Schrade jigging machine was at work on these style jigged bone handles?

Last edited:
I totally agree Lloyd and Sir- wonderful insight so thank you for sharing - there is SO much to learn about Jog work, who used what machines- who hand jigged by Hand? Just a huge thing all on it's own.
As Lloyd has said the New York Knife Co, and Divot Bone of Schrade look very similar, this got me thinking to the two other companies that share similarities as NYK Co and Schrade- I say this only because when you look at the actual jigging into the bone is similar, please don't get me wrong I am not suggesting that these companies have the exact jigging at all, it's just at times I will see a very nice early Challenge- and my very first thought is " NY"? and then once you start looking at it you find different - I am not sure if any one else finds this, so I just thought I would do the line up to structure what are similar in nature of Bone handles to Paul's beautiful examples.
Clauss, (Case ):
RtTsmi1.jpg

Challenge:
IcJHfak.jpg

tOlHEa7.jpg

Slight differences in these two New York Knife Co's:
gZ2G39x.jpg

Hq5pjhX.jpg

Schrades Divot
9mPLBUU.jpg

OBHkvbE.jpg

If you remember that Real neat and well Loved Sears & Robuck I posted the other day ( shown below ), while I was tippy-toeing around the place I found this to go with it.....

hLTVGaK.jpg

ZoZIEaR.jpg

1yobM1a.jpg

G68TwlN.jpg

Once again the slightly worn Pen Blade - Man what a knife! I just really love this old Beauty!
JTm1Xbh.jpg

Charlie I think that catalog was 1930.
That what someone else had stated anyway!

I’m looking for the address - I might order a few @$1.59 each - depends on the Shipping price though. :D
This sparked my curiosity, so I looked it up heres what I found .
A study in the Monthly Labor Review from 1936 attempted to gather and analyze wage data of unskilled and semiskilled laborers in 1935. In total, theaverage entrance rate for common labor was $0.45 an hour, with a low of $0.15 and a high of $0.95.
Copy and pasted from Google, at the average of $0.45 an hour it would take 3.5 hours labor to buy the $1.59 knife. At $14.00 an hour I would make $49.00 in 3.5 hours, that would get me a Case delrin barlow, or a amber bone Texas jack. I chose those as they're the closest to Sta-Sharp in that price range. So really its about the same as its always been, disregarding inflation.

Wonderful Schrade folders Paul! That Hawkbill has that great post Pickbone pre Peachseed jigged bone:thumbsup:. I call it divot or scoop jigged bone. I think Charlie postulated that this variety or style of jigged bone may have been done on the George Schrade jigging machine. This style of jigging is also found on NYKC folders. I have several with this same pattern on Schrade and NYKC knives. Maybe the George Schrade jigging machine was at work on these style jigged bone handles?

I totally agree Lloyd and Sir- wonderful insight so thank you for sharing - there is SO much to learn about Jog work, who used what machines- who hand jigged by Hand? Just a huge thing all on it's own.
As Lloyd has said the New York Knife Co, and Divot Bone of Schrade look very similar, this got me thinking to the two other companies that share similarities as NYK Co and Schrade- I say this only because when you look at the actual jigging into the bone is similar, please don't get me wrong I am not suggesting that these companies have the exact jigging at all, it's just at times I will see a very nice early Challenge- and my very first thought is " NY"? and then once you start looking at it you find different - I am not sure if any one else finds this, so I just thought I would do the line up to structure what are similar in nature of Bone handles to Paul's beautiful examples.
Clauss, (Case ):
RtTsmi1.jpg

Challenge:
IcJHfak.jpg

tOlHEa7.jpg

Slight differences in these two New York Knife Co's:
gZ2G39x.jpg

Hq5pjhX.jpg

Schrades Divot
9mPLBUU.jpg

OBHkvbE.jpg

Thank you Lloyd, the thought is interesting whether or not it/they were jigged on Geo Schrades machineo_O:)

Thanks also Duncan, I think of the similarities as well among many of the vintage knives, jigging, swage work, certain punches and the like:thumbsup: and Duncan, you have my paypal address, sooooooo???

Comparisons I did a few years ago. Four quadrants from upper left; three in each.
UL - Pick bone, UR Divot bone.
LL - Basketweave, LR Peachseed!
SchradeBone1.jpg
LL. Notice the basketweave angled cuts turn left and right at each row across!
This is all my terms, and not printed anywhere that I know of!!
There is a sort of Zig-Zag pattern to the rows of cuts on the first two noticeable!

Now that’s a great comparison between the Schrade Bone Family there Charlie- I wouldn’t mind just one of those knives my friend - Stunning! and I think your terms are pretty bang on.

Charlie are you in the know if they ( Schrade ) completely stopped Divot before running with Peachseed?

Was it in this order?

1st, Pic Bone
2nd, Basketweave
3rd, Divot
then, Peach Seed?

Wow Paul again those two are stunning - I can see just why you bought back that lovely EO Jack! Just beautiful.

This sparked my curiosity, so I looked it up heres what I found .
A study in the Monthly Labor Review from 1936 attempted to gather and analyze wage data of unskilled and semiskilled laborers in 1935. In total, theaverage entrance rate for common labor was $0.45 an hour, with a low of $0.15 and a high of $0.95.
Copy and pasted from Google, at the average of $0.45 an hour it would take 3.5 hours labor to buy the $1.59 knife. At $14.00 an hour I would make $49.00 in 3.5 hours, that would get me a Case delrin barlow, or a amber bone Texas jack. I chose those as they're the closest to Sta-Sharp in that price range. So really its about the same as its always been, disregarding inflation.
Thanks for putting the prices in perspective. I knew inflation obviously was the big factor, but I hadn't thought of approaching it the way you did, using income data. The 1935 prices are actually higher than I would have thought!

Now that’s a great comparison between the Schrade Bone Family there Charlie- I wouldn’t mind just one of those knives my friend - Stunning! and I think your terms are pretty bang on.

Charlie are you in the know if they ( Schrade ) completely stopped Divot before running with Peachseed?

Was it in this order?

1st, Pic Bone
2nd, Basketweave
3rd, Divot
then, Peach Seed?

Wow Paul again those two are stunning - I can see just why you bought back that lovely EO Jack! Just beautiful.
I think the basketweave came after the divot, Duncan.
Schrade, Walden and NYK shared a bone shop for a while!!
Schrade bought it out, then later it burned!!

I had no idea this little knife existed until I recently found it buried deep in a box of my mother's keepsakes. It is only 1 7/8" long. It has no markings anywhere, but I think I can date it pretty closely. The saying around here is "read the knife", and in this case I can literally read the knife - my mother's maiden name initials (FEL) are scratched on one side. It's not the sort of thing my mother would have ever done, but it's exactly the sort of thing my father would have done. (He was very intelligent but not exactly subtle.) I figure she kept it all those years because it was a gift from him while they were dating. They were married in 1934 after dating for a couple of years, so I'm pretty confident in dating the knife 1932-1934.
Qo6EjRY.jpg

5GE3El6.jpg

It has half stops, and has good snap after I cleaned and oiled it. I think it's MOP but I'm keeping it in isolation just in case. I'm just enjoying a newly discovered memory.

(Sorry for the poor photos, but I was trying to make sure the "engraving" showed up.)

Last edited:
Back