"Old Knives"

Dave, I think your knife was recovered at the factory. The rounded, domed pins look correct for the peachseed era, but wrong for the pickbone, which should be flatter and not domed.

Dave,
My guess is the back handle was replaced, and the front pins got polished in the repair person's touch-up!! He/She might have even spun them! From left field!!:D

Thank you for helping me out with the Schrade Bone Charlie- I find myself asking lots of questions, and putting things out there for thought- as we would while sitting around a nice big table with out knife friends- sharing a Beer and discussing Knives.

With me doing this - I am pretty much there at the Table when writing this down - and placing these thoughts onto Bladeforums discussions, unfortunately - when a person reads such things- they come across entirely different as compared to pronunciations and varying tones when actually spoken - so it rather looks like a madman has got hold of Duncan's Keyboard - on quite a regular basis it seems.

Dave my friend, that's a nice Knife, and a great example of the two beautiful variations of Bone that Schrade offered, Charlie did you come to the conclusion that the Pile side had been replaced as it is Peachseed - being the later Bone than the Mark Side Pic Bone? Apologies in advance if this is a very obvious question.

I had no idea this little knife existed until I recently found it buried deep in a box of my mother's keepsakes. It is only 1 7/8" long. It has no markings anywhere, but I think I can date it pretty closely. The saying around here is "read the knife", and in this case I can literally read the knife - my mother's maiden name initials (FEL) are scratched on one side. It's not the sort of thing my mother would have ever done, but it's exactly the sort of thing my father would have done. (He was very intelligent but not exactly subtle.) I figure she kept it all those years because it was a gift from him while they were dating. They were married in 1934 after dating for a couple of years, so I'm pretty confident in dating the knife 1932-1934.
Qo6EjRY.jpg

5GE3El6.jpg

It has half stops, and has good snap after I cleaned and oiled it. I think it's MOP but I'm keeping it in isolation just in case. I'm just enjoying a newly discovered memory.

(Sorry for the poor photos, but I was trying to make sure the "engraving" showed up.)
NICE Headwinds, the sentimental part always gets me:thumbsup: priceless in my book and I do think PEARL do to those rose, blueish green hues:cool:

NICE Headwinds, the sentimental part always gets me:thumbsup: priceless in my book and I do think PEARL do to those rose, blueish green hues:cool:
Thank you for the kind words. I hope you're right about the pearl - I finally gave up trying to capture the full range of its colors in a photo but the ones I posted give some idea. I'm no expert on really old knives so I appreciate your input!

https://ibb.co/y04s6R5
Ok so i dont know if this is the right place for this, i found what i believe is an old fixed blade leatherman. Bought it from an estate sale for $5. There was an LE visable on one side of the blade. Soft steel, seems pretty old the ivory was pretty beat up was cracking and chipping apart. i wet sanded and buffed/waxed ganna be my carry. Just wanted to find out a little more about it. I couldnt find anything like it on google. Any info would be greatly appreciated

https://ibb.co/y04s6R5
Ok so i dont know if this is the right place for this, i found what i believe is an old fixed blade leatherman. Bought it from an estate sale for $5. There was an LE visable on one side of the blade. Soft steel, seems pretty old the ivory was pretty beat up was cracking and chipping apart. i wet sanded and buffed/waxed ganna be my carry. Just wanted to find out a little more about it. I couldnt find anything like it on google. Any info would be greatly appreciated

I don't think that's a leatherman.

Here is a lovely, hefty, 3 3/8" knife stamped "SIMMONS/HDWE Co/GERMANY" on the three cutting blades, with a stylized hornet stamped on the back of each blade. The file and the scissors are unstamped. The stamps on each of the blades have minor differences. Sellens says that E.C. Simmons sold these from 1883 to 1917. Levine gives a date of circa 1890s. Goins does not have a listing for this exact stamping, but does give dates for the hornet stamping of 1890 to 1915. The previous owner posted this in the Simmons/Keen Kutter thread, but I don't believe it has been posted in this thread. The Keen Kutter thread disappears into obscurity pretty quickly after a posting.

RIMG1890.JPG RIMG1891.JPG RIMG1881.JPG RIMG1882.JPG RIMG1883.JPG RIMG1885.JPG RIMG1888.JPG RIMG1892.JPG

Back