"Old Knives"

I could have used that for the last half hour cleaning the yuk out of the bottoms of my boots. I used a screwdriver, but that horseman's knife would have made a more elegant tool. I have been trying to come up with an idea for a halloween costume. A British fox hunter with a knife like this, quirt, tall black boots and red livery would be right smart.

Stag Joseph Rodgers Horseman's Knife, as found !!
View attachment 1220835 View attachment 1220836
Man Charlie!!! Just WOW!!!
bvN6G0.jpg

N5FbvSu.jpg

55f0g8F.jpg

Pinched your pics to bring this over to this page Charlie, the thing I absolutely love about these Great Old Sheffield and German Cutlers is the way they used their magnificent examples of Stag - hafted thin and Bark to the very edge, if you look at the Awl- it is near flush with the Stag.
That Colour of that Stag- this is something that must be appreciated! as time alone has made this Hue and that adds a monumental amount to this beautiful knife!

Last edited:
N5FbvSu.jpg

55f0g8F.jpg

Pinched your pics to bring this over to this page Charlie, the thing I absolutely love about these Great Old Sheffoild and German Cutlers is the way they used their magnificent examples of Stag - hafted thin and Bark to the very edge, if you look at the Awl- it is near flush with the Stag.
That Colour of that Stag- this is something that must be appreciated! as time alone has made this Hue and that adds a monumental amount to this beautiful knife!

Yes!!! :)

Thanks for bringing that picture over, Duncan, and for the assessment Neal!!:)
Lets me look at it again "in pictures"!!:D
That knife has actually seen little use!! Rodgers proportioned that "spey" blade on the small side to double as a pen-sized blade I think!!:rolleyes:

Also made me realize my yellow background is getting dingy, so I threw it in the wash!!:)
First time since I got it years ago!!:eek:

I personally would not clean Brass Bolsters - Brass look way better Patina’d
So too does the Steel!
The Blade play might be harder to fix as you cannot Peen a singular Pin as I see there are two pins in the Bolsters? So this meaning that you can’t re- peen the pin I am unsure.

Paul, I was looking at that last week- I think between 1916 to 50's my friend! Has the same shield as Bokers at that same time frame interestingly enough. ;)

I bought this old seaman's knife from Tallinn, Estonia from an antiques shop. I wonder what I should do with it? There is some blade play in both directions, but not much. It is semi-sharp and feels like a solid, usable knife. Should I clean the blade and the brass bolster and how should I do it?

L5W9QyU.jpg

Knife has interesting lines, Looks like a good user. You may be able to remove the side to side blade play by gently squeezing the bolster end in a vise. Use a softer wood on either side of the bolster to allow the pin to move and to protect the brass from the vise jaws. Do not squeeze so much as to lose the snap. If the pin protrudes from the bolsters you can peen it and then using very fine automotive sandpaper sand it back flush. I do not think that up and down blade play can be easily fixed as it is likely the result of wear between the tang and the blade runup at the tang? I would not clean the patina off the blade. Cleaning the bolster and cap would be up to your personal preference.

Back