"Old Knives"

I, for one, am looking forward to seeing you again, Duncan!!

I tasted the pleasure of meeting up with a few knife folks today at our local, monthly, knife club meeting! We welcomed a new member who has been gleaning the world of second hand goods, and I gave him the price of two modest breakfasts for these three;
An Eye Witness Lambfoot, a Tina left-handed Budding and Grafting knife with folding Spud, and a Poyet-Coursolle 9 cm Laguiole about which I know nothing!! The research is a fun part of this collecting activity, good or mediocre!!
View attachment 1229109
An instant collection ! The Candy Man :D:p

https://www.bing.com/search?q=the+candy+man+song&pc=MOZI&form=MOZTSB

Charlie

thanks for the info and the photos. I’m very impressed with this one I’ve got. I’m gonna get another and get it recovered in something fancy.

Joe

So...I'm scrolling through pictures on "the bay" (for purely education purposes, of course ;)) but couldn't pass by 100 year old pick bone without tossing in a modest bid. I tried to resist, but it was calling to me.

I'm now the owner of this 3 3/8" Howard Bros penknife.
Goins lists a Howard Cutlery Co. Germany (c.1885-1905) trademark used by C.B.Barker, but no "Howard Bros." I found one mention of it in the 15th edition of Official Price Guide to Collector Knives by C.Houston Price and Mark D. Zalesky. It also gives the dates of 1885-1905. I don't know if there's any relation.

It's been banged around and the main blade has been sharpened down some, but both blades have lots of life left and snap like a baby gator. When I was looking at the pictures, I planned to fill the chipped out section with some epoxy, but now I think I might leave it be for now.

KbAZceK.jpg

Bjt6FzU.jpg

RW7n8ZS.jpg

The tang stamps on the two blades are not exactly the same:
lA1w3ms.jpg

fm33NaD.jpg

I'm very pleased with this edition to my Centenarian collection. :):thumbsup:

Last edited:
So...I'm scrolling through pictures on "the bay" (for purely education purposes, of course ;)) but couldn't pass by 100 year old pick bone without tossing in a modest bid. I tried to resist, but it was calling to me.

Goins lists a Howard Cutlery Co. Germany (c.1885-1905) trademark used by C.B.Barker, but no "Howard Bros." I found one mention of it in the 15th edition of Official Price Guide to Collector Knives by C.Houston Price and Mark D. Zalesky. It also gives the dates of 1885-1905. I don't know if there's any relation.

It's been banged around and the main blade has been sharpened down some, but both blades have lots of life left and snap like a baby gator. When I was looking at the pictures, I planned to fill the chipped out section with some epoxy, but now I think I might leave it be for now.

KbAZceK.jpg

Bjt6FzU.jpg

RW7n8ZS.jpg

lA1w3ms.jpg

fm33NaD.jpg

I love that Rachel, I picked up a German pen knife for many of the same reasons you brought this one into the fold:thumbsup: In the past, all would appeal to me but the chipped bone, but not any more. It's part of it's story and affects nothing function wise. My recent pen doesn't have missing bone but missing history that I've been able to piece together and hope to post tomorrow:) That's a very neat knife:thumbsup::cool:

I agree, I do like to pick up a knife like R8shell has posted, look over the Knife, study the age and the care that it has had, I really Really appreciate a knife that is so old and had loving sharpening throughout it's life - that to me tells of a person who has probably not had more than one or two knives in their life - and the knife was probably with them for a good 50 years +.
That in itself ..... is pretty cool.

Rachell's "Old Knives Home"!!! A worthy addition!!!:)
Thank you. This one doesn't really need much rehabilitation. I've filled in broken covers with epoxy before, but in this case I would hate to remove any of its character. As far as I can tell, the chip is stable, though I could paint the edge with some thin superglue if it looks like a crack might spread. Anyway, it's going in my pocket tomorrow. :):thumbsup:
I love that Rachel, I picked up a German pen knife for many of the same reasons you brought this one into the fold:thumbsup: In the past, all would appeal to me but the chipped bone, but not any more. It's part of it's story and affects nothing function wise. My recent pen doesn't have missing bone but missing history that I've been able to piece together and hope to post tomorrow:) That's a very neat knife:thumbsup::cool:
Thanks. I look forward to seeing your new addition.
I agree, I do like to pick up a knife like R8shell has posted, look over the Knife, study the age and the care that it has had, I really Really appreciate a knife that is so old and had loving sharpening throughout it's life - that to me tells of a person who has probably not had more than one or two knives in their life - and the knife was probably with them for a good 50 years +.
That in itself ..... is pretty cool.
It's been said before, but don't you wish these knives could talk. (sometimes they kinda do: "C'mon...no one else is bidding, and I wanna go home with someone who'll appreciate me...") :D

Kind of like Rachel, this was one I wasn't hunting but popped up on my browsing radar. I peeked a little closer and liked what I saw. An advertising knife with what I felt was a cool shield. I often times google fu the company to see if they're still in business. This company was in business for over a 100 years that came to an end in 1967. A blanket and felt company that eventually merged with Orr Felt, a company that may be familiar to Schrade knife fans.

The knife company is quite murky in regards to it's history. All this knife is stamped with is SOLINGEN GERMANY. The other knives I've found that are just like this one bare an arched tang stamp LUBOTCO which was a German Cutlery Company. I can find no info on them offering up dates or any other info. That said, this is a wonderful knife. Pretty full blades that are rock solid and get sticky sharp, fantastic jigged bone covers, steel/iron bolster pins (Common in German Cutlery Companies) and just a really neat pinned shield. The blades have a very pleasant snick sound when closing. It measure 3 1/4 closed.

I'm glad I took a chance as I really enjoy this fine little slicer:thumbsup::cool: So ANY additional info would be neat if anyone has anyo_O I stumbled across the info I did gather from another favorite knife site of mine:)
z7R5xk.jpg

hntv0I.jpg

SJ63aD.jpg

VOGoVV.jpg

iLfH8v.jpg

aMpA1c.jpg

Thanks to all of you who posted such nice comments on my Honk Falls Jack—much appreciated!!

r8shell wonderful old or antique folder that exudes history and does speak through you with your passion for it:thumbsup::)

Paul terrific advertising pen knife! Wonderful advertising shield, nice jigged bone handles, pocket friendly single spring, great size and condition—what’s not to like:thumbsup: Thanks for including some history of the company advertised. I love this stuff!

Here is a antique single blade Jack with the tang stamped Belmont Cutlery Co. It has this unique bolster design that I have not seen before and drew me to it. Has beautiful nicely grained and figured Cocobolo handles. It is 3 & 1/2 inches closed. There is some blade loss but it is very snappy with no lateral blade movement when fully open.

Goins shows two listings for Belmont. One, is Belmont c 1880-1883 sold by E.C. Simmons in the 1880’s. The second Belmont Knife Co, c 1920-1930 a trademark used by E. Morris. E. Morris in Detroit MI was primarily a razor and shears producer according to Goins.

I am more inclined to believe (maybe just wishful thinking) that this was a “house” brand of E. C. Simmons and if so probably produced by Walden Knife Company. In the 1880’s many of the Simmons pocket knives were produced by Walden.

If anyone else can “shed more light” on this Jack it would be greatly appreciated!

thanks
2E2B07F1-EFF9-4851-B3AB-C6A8C61BAEA1.jpeg FA8FE615-60FB-40C5-82D3-FA037B76FDA3.jpeg

Paul- Nice to see that Solingen without the phone shaking about lol!:):thumbsup:
Beautiful bone- when you stop and have a look at that bone Jig Work- Whew!
Isn't it interesting- or maybe I just find this in my on weird Words...that the Older Sheffield's and Solingen's, they sharpen to absolute scary scalpels, I cant comment so much on the very early American stuff as the ones I have I don't want to sharpen so much as in preservation!

Style Man, Style! There's been a few Belmonts passing through lately- for a wee bit of an Elusive Stamping! Luger my friend- That as our good friend Charlie has said - has got it going on!

Last edited:
Wow Lloyd, what a UNIQUE bolster, something I've never seen before:cool: I've seen some old Belmont knives before but none in as good condition. as yours. My knife buying habits change like the seasons, new, old, fixed, folded and so on but in the end it's the vintage knives and this thread that is my favorite when it comes to this wonderful hobby. You my friend always post wonderful and interesting knives, thank you for that and for the kind compliment towards my old advertising knife:)

Paul- Nice to see that Solingen without the phone shaking about lol!:):thumbsup:
Beautiful bone- when you stop and have a look at that bone Jig Work- Whew!
Isn't it interesting- or maybe I just find this in my on weird Words...that the Older Sheffield's and Solingen's, they sharpen to absolute scary scalpels, I cant comment so much on the very early American stuff as the ones I have I don't want to sharpen so much as in preservation!

Style Man, Style! There's been a few Belmonts passing through lately- for a wee bit of an Elusive Stamping! Luger my friend- That as our good friend Charlie has said - has got it going on!
Thanks Duncan, you know that I can't help myself when it comes to sharpening an old knife:oops: If I had my way, the Mona Lisa would have a mustache:eek::p:D
5wHBYS.jpg

Last edited:
Kind of like Rachel, this was one I wasn't hunting but popped up on my browsing radar. I peeked a little closer and liked what I saw. An advertising knife with what I felt was a cool shield. I often times google fu the company to see if they're still in business. This company was in business for over a 100 years that came to an end in 1967. A blanket and felt company that eventually merged with Orr Felt, a company that may be familiar to Schrade knife fans.

The knife company is quite murky in regards to it's history. All this knife is stamped with is SOLINGEN GERMANY. The other knives I've found that are just like this one bare an arched tang stamp LUBOTCO which was a German Cutlery Company. I can find no info on them offering up dates or any other info. That said, this is a wonderful knife. Pretty full blades that are rock solid and get sticky sharp, fantastic jigged bone covers, steel/iron bolster pins (Common in German Cutlery Companies) and just a really neat pinned shield. The blades have a very pleasant snick sound when closing. It measure 3 1/4 closed.

I'm glad I took a chance as I really enjoy this fine little slicer:thumbsup::cool: So ANY additional info would be neat if anyone has anyo_O I stumbled across the info I did gather from another favorite knife site of mine:)
z7R5xk.jpg

hntv0I.jpg

SJ63aD.jpg

VOGoVV.jpg

iLfH8v.jpg

aMpA1c.jpg
That is a wonderful knife, thanks for showing it. It's funny how new advertising looks tacky, but once it's antique or vintage, the nostalgia factor makes it the coolest thing. :cool::thumbsup:
Thanks to all of you who posted such nice comments on my Honk Falls Jack—much appreciated!!

r8shell wonderful old or antique folder that exudes history and does speak through you with your passion for it:thumbsup::)

Paul terrific advertising pen knife! Wonderful advertising shield, nice jigged bone handles, pocket friendly single spring, great size and condition—what’s not to like:thumbsup: Thanks for including some history of the company advertised. I love this stuff!

Here is a antique single blade Jack with the tang stamped Belmont Cutlery Co. It has this unique bolster design that I have not seen before and drew me to it. Has beautiful nicely grained and figured Cocobolo handles. It is 3 & 1/2 inches closed. There is some blade loss but it is very snappy with no lateral blade movement when fully open.

Goins shows two listings for Belmont. One, is Belmont c 1880-1883 sold by E.C. Simmons in the 1880’s. The second Belmont Knife Co, c 1920-1930 a trademark used by E. Morris. E. Morris in Detroit MI was primarily a razor and shears producer according to Goins.

I am more inclined to believe (maybe just wishful thinking) that this was a “house” brand of E. C. Simmons and if so probably produced by Walden Knife Company. In the 1880’s many of the Simmons pocket knives were produced by Walden.

If anyone else can “shed more light” on this Jack it would be greatly appreciated!

thanks
View attachment 1233481 View attachment 1233480
I've never seen a bolster like that before. What a nifty design element. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

KbAZceK.jpg

Bjt6FzU.jpg

RW7n8ZS.jpg

lA1w3ms.jpg

fm33NaD.jpg

I really enjoy your pictures of your Centenarians my friend . How many do you believe that you have now ???? I do not believe that I would epoxy in the missing piece either , therefore it stays Original as Received . Carry it in good health r8shell r8shell .

Harry

Back