"Old Knives"

Haven't posted in a while. But I have been lurking around admiring all the wonderful knives. It seems to me that we have been seeing a lot of Junior cattle knives in a few threads lately. tongueriver tongueriver beautiful Schrade MOP being the most recent. I recently was gifted this Schrade made Maher&Grosh junior cattle knife. I am assuming it is the 8563. I had to give it a light cleaning as it had some rust on all the blades. Some created some light pitting. The blade etch is lightened but is still visible. I was hoping somebody might be able to give me a timeframe as to when this might have been made. This one will probably see some pocket time. Just a wonderful little knife. IMG_6430.PNG IMG_6428.PNG IMG_6429.PNG IMG_6427.PNG

Great knife Jerome!

That particular blade combination was not shown or mentioned in any walden catalogs, only the 856 was but that had a clip and spey. Build certainly looks like a 50's SW knife. I would imagine m&g ordered the spear and pen combo as that's the only variant of this from the walden era I've seen.

Jerome, here's an 856 that may have been built around the same time as your variant. Similar dark peachseed bone and the overall build looks very similar. The older peachseed bone usually had a tan/brown color but sometime in the 50's it changed to a darker brown with a bit of red tint. It got more red from there. The ''case'' red peachseed bone schrades are some of the prettiest knives they made in my opinion but not many are that color.

IMG_6027.JPG

This old knife popped out of my mailbox today!! The details of this Binghamton Cutlery knife just shout Empire Knife Co, from the turn of the last century!! A dogleg jack in black wood is a quintessential knife from the late 1800, very early 1900 period. Thick wood and chunky bolsters, a "wrap-around" pen spring, and an arched tang stamp are some of the details seen from that period!
It's relic-ey appearance belies its wonderful "survivor" condition, snappy, and still sharp from one of the last owners!! A drop of mineral oil, a good wipedown, into my pocket and I am a walking chapter of American cutlery history!!:D
Bighamton 1.jpg Bighamton 2.jpg Bighamton 3.jpg Bighamton 4.jpg
Thanks, Mike!!

Picture props: Hand-rolled Carico Lake gem-grade Turquoise beads from Nevada, and an as found, ghoulish pebble of natural aggregate!:cool:

This old knife popped out of my mailbox today!! The details of this Binghamton Cutlery knife just shout Empire Knife Co, from the turn of the last century!! A dogleg jack in black wood is a quintessential knife from the late 1800, very early 1900 period. Thick wood and chunky bolsters, a "wrap-around" pen spring, and an arched tang stamp are some of the details seen from that period!
It's relic-ey appearance belies its wonderful "survivor" condition, snappy, and still sharp from one of the last owners!! A drop of mineral oil, a good wipedown, into my pocket and I am a walking chapter of American cutlery history!!:D
View attachment 1243165 View attachment 1243166 View attachment 1243167 View attachment 1243168
Thanks, Mike!!

Picture props: Hand-rolled Carico Lake gem-grade Turquoise beads from Nevada, and an as found, ghoulish pebble of natural aggregate!:cool:

Charlie, What a Wonderful, Wonderful knife!!!! I am sure all of us would love for that one to "POP" out of our mailbox.

Thanks, Jerome and Duncan!! These handles are thick: it's almost like a short length of steel dowel in my pocket - but warmer to hand!!

View attachment 1243165 View attachment 1243166 View attachment 1243167 View attachment 1243168
Thanks, Mike!!

Oh, that's a cracker Jack! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back