"Old Knives"

kPhzE8B.jpg

ws4IrIC.jpg

lR5Wt1r.jpg

2Sb2KxL.jpg

Very nice Camillus, Paul, great to find it in that condition!:thumbsup: Lovely bone on the 68 as well.
That Herrick teardrop jack is a fantastic knife, Rob!:thumbsup: Full blades (I really like the master blade) and beautifully jigged and coloured bone! That is the kind of knife I would love to have in my pocket. I wonder who made it?
Augie, I really like the shape of the clip blades on the bottom two knives in your second pic (muskrat clip?)!
Two nice additions to the thread, Mike!:thumbsup:
North Shore, congratulations on adding a grail knife to your Swiss Army collection.:thumbsup:
Nice old Russell, Travman.:thumbsup:

danno50 danno50 I don't have a good guess on who made it, someone more knowledgeable than myself may have an idea. Between the bone and the full blades I had to have it, she's nice and tight so I'm planning on putting an edge on it and use it. I really like master blade, nice thin tip, it'll make a great carry knife. Thanks Dan!

TheChunk91 TheChunk91 Love that Rogers bone Paul:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Travman Travman Nice Russell :thumbsup::thumbsup:

danno50 danno50 I don't have a good guess on who made it, someone more knowledgeable than myself may have an idea.

I am not that knowledgeable, I was waiting for someone else to take a guess first. But, here goes: it sure looks like Remington bone to me and I have seen Remington jacks hafted in the same fashion, with the bone stepped down at the bolster. However, I have never seen any reference as to Remington making knives with other stamps?

edited to add: Bone doesn't really look like Remington jigging (I should have dug out the one I was thinking of before posting).

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    325 bytes · Views: 1
Last edited:
So I received this knife tuesday only 2 hours after arriving home from cataract surgery. Naturally I couldn't see well but now that my vision is clearing up I see the remnants of an etch on the main blade, visble when the light is at the correct angle. Any way to bring it out without making it more faint? Flitz? You can't see it in this picture but every post is better with a picture. Will try to get a picture in daylight showing the etch.
BKDCzo0.jpg

Do NOT Flitz it my friend. You take away whatever remains of the etch. It is what it is when they get like that.
I have tried in earlier days on a cheaper knife in exactly your predicament- failed big time with the thinking that I would just very carefully remove the top film/ grime layer to expose the etch - equaled no more etch.

So I received this knife tuesday only 2 hours after arriving home from cataract surgery. Naturally I couldn't see well but now that my vision is clearing up I see the remnants of an etch on the main blade, visble when the light is at the correct angle. Any way to bring it out without making it more faint? Flitz? You can't see it in this picture but every post is better with a picture. Will try to get a picture in daylight showing the etch.
BKDCzo0.jpg

Do NOT Flitz it my friend. You take away whatever remains of the etch. It is what it is when they get like that.
I have tried in earlier days on a cheaper knife in exactly your predicament- failed big time with the thinking that I would just very carefully remove the top film/ grime layer to expose the etch - equaled no more etch.
Maybe just a wipe down with an oily rag?

Very nice Camillus, Paul, great to find it in that condition!:thumbsup: Lovely bone on the 68 as well.
That Herrick teardrop jack is a fantastic knife, Rob!:thumbsup: Full blades (I really like the master blade) and beautifully jigged and coloured bone! That is the kind of knife I would love to have in my pocket. I wonder who made it?
Augie, I really like the shape of the clip blades on the bottom two knives in your second pic (muskrat clip?)!
Two nice additions to the thread, Mike!:thumbsup:
North Shore, congratulations on adding a grail knife to your Swiss Army collection.:thumbsup:
Nice old Russell, Travman.:thumbsup:

Thanks Dan, If I remember right they are referred to as a California Clip. Old Western ad has them listed as California clip. They do make a great slicer.

Image 1-24-20 at 7.10 AM.jpg

Here's my best attempt to show the etch, you folks are probably sick of me posting this knife but i promise to make this the last post. There's two ovals, under 10X magnification the one on the right is "city" I can't make out the one on the left other than an E towards the center. Possibly a G at the beginning. I guess it's a lost cause, but it was fun trying to figure it out.
etBUVF8.jpg
7poATu0.jpg

And of course a full length shot:)
wSN3S32.jpg

There's two ovals, under 10X magnification the one on the right is "city" I can't make out the one on the left other than an E towards the center. Possibly a G at the beginning. I guess it's a lost cause, but it was fun trying to figure it out.
I think I see _ENTR_
Centre? Central? Gentry?

Paul my friend, that's a very nice Bone Camillus, you seem to be busy lately lol. I have a bunch I need to take photos of and post!

Rockman - great knife- GREAT Bone! just a fantastic Knife my friend.

I'll get the 10X on it in sunlight tomorrow, didn't have it with me when I took the pictures. I did a little research on nick names for Waco Tx, Geyser City was one nick name, but I agree there's an N in there so that's out.

I think I see _ENTR_
Centre? Central? Gentry?

Thanks Duncan!

Rockman - great knife- GREAT Bone! just a fantastic Knife my friend.[/QUOTE]

danno50 danno50 I don't have a good guess on who made it, someone more knowledgeable than myself may have an idea. Between the bone and the full blades I had to have it, she's nice and tight so I'm planning on putting an edge on it and use it. I really like master blade, nice thin tip, it'll make a great carry knife. Thanks Dan!

TheChunk91 TheChunk91 Love that Rogers bone Paul:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Travman Travman Nice Russell :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Rob, that Herrick is a fantastic knife, a knife like that rises to the top tier of any vintage knife collection.

As far as who made it, would be tough to say but one thing that stands out to me are the hammered steel pins. I have a few examples in my collection of this early type construction, a Camillus Timber Scribe and an early KeenKutter boys knife, some pics for comparison.

IMG_6564.jpg IMG_6562.jpg IMG_5875.jpg IMG_5871.jpg

After looking it over in better light I think it's either Centre or Center, there is a Gentry City out in the TX panhandle but I think Centre or Center is more likely a reference to Waco being in the center of TX. We will never know for sure but the mystery of some old knives is an attraction for me.

I think I see _ENTR_
Centre? Central? Gentry?

Thanks John, I appreciate your input. That's a fantastic timber scribe! The KeenKutter is a dandy too. I am a fan of the hammered steel pins as well and the steel liners are a plus.

Rob, that Herrick is a fantastic knife, a knife like that rises to the top tier of any vintage knife collection.

As far as who made it, would be tough to say but one thing that stands out to me are the hammered steel pins. I have a few examples in my collection of this early type construction, a Camillus Timber Scribe and an early KeenKutter boys knife, some pics for comparison.

View attachment 1271598 View attachment 1271599 View attachment 1271600 View attachment 1271601

KlXPmeC.jpg

This one is way out of my field but I couldn't pass it up for the price. It's just too cool. One of my dad's neighbors is having a garage sale and has some old military knives and swords. He told me this was serbian and he's had it a long time. It looks old and genuine as far as I can tell. It has a 1917 date and looks to have cyrillic letters. Only markings are on the handle, which seems to be aluminum. The sheath is wood wrapped in leather. Blade is about 8 1/2'' and handle is about 5''.

Does anybody know anything about it?

IMG_6728.JPG IMG_6729.JPG IMG_6732.JPG IMG_6730.JPG IMG_6731.JPG

Back