"Old Knives"

My grandfather passed away and left me this old knife. I know nothing about it and any info you have would be appreciated. It has “GB” on the blade and no other markings. It appears to be made out of a horn or antler.

Image Gallery:
https://imgur.com/gallery/EnnofyU

Thank you!
HWWpZel.jpg

IY8OdVa.jpg

ER24g8C.jpg

I took the liberty to repost your pics because some people don't like to click an unknown link. Unfortunately I don't know anything about the knife, other than it looks to have French or Spanish influences. Maybe African from one of the French colonies. Hopefully someone can shed some light on it.
Also to post pics from imgur copy the url from imgur and then once here click the icon I have circled in this screenshot, paste the url in the window that opens;):thumbsup:
3j2yeEA.jpg

The likeness to the Laguiole Knife is quite strong - perhaps even stepping towards Spanish styled Clasp knives . The photos are far from clear enough to tell anything about the initials on the Blade if Maker or having been added later on.

To circle back on this one... I was thinking maybe it was Winchester made? I saw this model #3929 (below) in my Price & Zalesky and my Bingham looks identical only without the shield. The Bingham model is #3299. My first thought on the Bingham bone was that it looked either Remington or Winchester, any thoughts?

View attachment 1277568

bingwhit-1e-jpg.1276198

I have nothing to add about the jigging but wow that is one heck of a knife. That is just about my idea of a perfect EDC knife. I carry a leatherman micra almost exclusively for the nail file/hook for digging grease out of my fingernails. I wish we saw more nail tools from the slipjoint manufacturers left today. They were certainly popular in yesteryears.

Yes, I was told by - Jarkko Haukkala / Iisakki Järvenpää Osakeyhtiö, that "it is original Iisakki Järvenpää product". Pretty cool, I say :cool: :)
I'm just impressed that they care enough to get back to you when you ask them a question, they helped me out a couple times in the past too... great people! :):thumbsup:

These Finnish knives always makes me think that Theoden or Eowyn would have one their belt.

David - I read the books and saw the movies. You are right!!! :D

DELETED PHOTOS - NOT OLD KNIVES :( So back to the pertinent topic. :thumbsup:

Kevin, veitsi_poika veitsi_poika , your old Jarvenpaa is a real beauty! I especially love that blade shape :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Nice Knife there Herder matey. Absolutely stunning Bone

I have just received quite a rare ( and very big ) Camillus Knife - ( along with many smaller Sears Knives) I will get a little more information from my friend whom sold me the knife as to what the Camillus experts said about the knife so I can post this with the Photos.

Very unusual blade and very cool! And the sheath is obviously original. I love your knife. Casein handle/pommel?

If it is "casein" - I have just learned from a correspondence with Jarkko Haukkala of Iisakki Järvenpää Osakeyhtiö , that this material is called "galalite handle. Galalite is old material made from milk protein called kasein. It was quite popular material between 1920´s to 1960´s." Apparently they still have some in stock but is, these days, reserved for specialty knives.

Back