"Old Knives"

What a great old example Charlie.

I like the Stove Pipe Kicks that followed my posts - Augie’s S&M and the Sheffield’s - Charlie’s possibly as well being so early?

I’m a bit happy right now, having picked this up today, courtesy of black mamba black mamba !! Jeff, I think you’ve created a monster....

FB8-B0141-064-A-4-C98-A8-CF-EED41-C1-E6-E1-A.jpg

Today I received a couple of used knives (as if I need more carry choices). The 881 is pretty decent but it has one thing which bugs me in my pickiness for unadulterated knives. Somebody really butchered the front side main swedge with unnecessary sandpaper work. I am in the process of cleaning that up the best I can. The other two blades have their nice crisp and distinct factory swedges. Nearly full blades and good snap and bone. If it wasn't for the sandpapering on the main blade this one would rival the really nice used 861 I got a while back.

IMG_6990.JPG
IMG_7024.jpg

This other one will only require sharpening. It has nice patina and is good to go. Tight, solid, and with firm springs but is a tad slow on the closing. Keen kutter branded but the same knife as the above SW 881. Waterfall celluloid handles; having waterfall in hand I now understand the name. The base color looks like something that would glow in the dark but throughout there are these little green tinted lines that flow around and when you look at a different angle new lines appear and previous ones fade. It gives the material a live flowing feeling, much like a waterfall. Really cool. Hard to describe without seeing it. I am liking celluloid more and more, so many interesting colors it can come in.

IMG_6992.JPG
IMG_6993.JPG

I hope you all don't mind my rambling, sometimes you just have to yack about stuff. :)

I did what I could with the butchered swedge on the 881 and it's satisfactory now. Distinctive again, like it originally would have been. Don't sandpaper old knives folks, unless you gotta fix previous adulterations that are too bad to live with. ;)

View attachment 1283368
Nice restore Paul, some people shouldn't be allowed around abrasives:eek::D

Nice knives both Cal and Paul. Cal I have seen it mentioned that one shouldn’t worry about walk and talk with Lockbacks - as they are not a Slip Joint - would you agree on this my friend?

Here it is Charlie, it has an assortment of different grit belts. The Ken Onion uses a little wider belt than the original. It doesn't show well but the belt on the K.O. is wider than the original but the K.O. allows you to use both sizes where you can just use the narrow ones on the original.

It comes with a guide but I remove mine. I also have a Platen attachment for it and it uses the same width belts but longer:thumbsup: The K.O. Worksharp is about 8" in length, so albeit small it will accomplish some large tasks like my mower blades:) the head also swivels forward so I can do my spade shovels as well.
x99fDQ.jpg

I don't often get a knife old enough to post in this thread. However, I just got this Fairmount Cut Co, supposedly from the 30's. I believe it was made by Camillus. I liked the handle covers and of course I love serpentine Jacks. Pretty happy with this one, it's in excellent shape and well-built.

Back