Old Pocket Knife Boxes

Really enjoyed seeing the knives, boxes and labels shown so far :thumbup:. A couple more...

A nice Wosty whittler.
DSC03263.jpg

A non-too fancy M&Y all metal penknife.
DSC03262.jpg

Mick

Still have a hand full of these older 1/2 dozen quantity dealers 'Case XX Bradford, PA. Cutlery' two part knife boxes from when I was a half owner in a local hardware store in north Florida back in the day..

How old is that Case box?

CaseStone.jpg

This is a sharpening stone that belonged to my grandfather. My best guess is mid-70s because inside the cardboard box is a plastic box that the stone actually lives in. But I really have no clue about the age.

The stone was never used.

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone collecting just knife boxes (without the knife inside)...but that would explain people selling knife boxes on the bay...

Here are three out of a possible six I*XL skeleton knives with original box. Circa 1910

Joe

2ebwqpv.jpg

sw3jn8.jpg

sl4qrr.jpg

Last edited:
What a great thread! Another truly interesting, if not overlooked, facet of collecting old pocketknives.

How old is that Case box?

CaseStone.jpg

This is a sharpening stone that belonged to my grandfather. My best guess is mid-70s because inside the cardboard box is a plastic box that the stone actually lives in. But I really have no clue about the age.

The stone was never used.

Man that is very :cool: there, Psychopomp. Hows about showing pix of the actual stone/hone??.

And to answer your question:

The box is either very late 1970's and more likely 1980's.. Great contribution in any case. :thumbup:

~ ~ ><> ~ ~

Here is a Fight'n Rooster box from 'old cuz' back in the day. You hardly ever see these anywhere anymore!.

15ozcrd.jpg

Anthony

A non-too fancy M&Y all metal penknife.
DSC03262.jpg

Mick

What era would that all metal be from Mick?

Also I think I notice the price in the 'old' money 48 shillings/florins 2.40GBP? Is that per knife or per box do you think?

What era would that all metal be from Mick?

Also I think I notice the price in the 'old' money 48 shillings/florins 2.40GBP? Is that per knife or per box do you think?

Hi willgoy,

Assuming that price relates to the knife and the rest that were once in the box, and I think it does, I reckon those knives were £2-8s-0d (writing that brings back memories :rolleyes:) (2.40GBP) per dozen, made in the 1950s-60s era, not entirely sure though ?. I guess these boxes would have been kept on stock for years, that M&Y one could be 30 or 40 years older than the knife ?.

Mick

I guess these boxes would have been kept on stock for years, that M&Y one could be 30 or 40 years older than the knife ?.

Mick

Take a look on the bottom of the box, many times the date the box was placed in stock was penciled on the bottom.

I have many of them that are marked in this manner.

Dimitri

Here's the LaBelle Barlow I mentioned in post #28. Sorry; it took me a while to find the picture. Secretarially challenged.
Couldn't believe it when a friend came up with that envelope!
LaBelleWEnv.jpg

Charlie, that LaBelle combo never ceases to amaze me! :eek::thumbup::thumbup:

Great to see ya Miller Bro's!

Eric

Back