Old Pocket Knife Boxes

Hey Dimitri!! Welcome to the other side of the tracks!!
Nice boxes!!

Thanks for the welcome Charlie!:)

Here is a box you can appreciate;)

empire.jpg

I do appreciate it, Dimitri! It is different than the two that I have.
It is interesting that Empire had variations in the artwork. It could be an indication of a long and prosperous business, IMO.
Thanks!

The box in the upper left with the green label was used from 1876-1890. I have also seen this label in White. Note the letters "A" and "B" in the upper corners, this stood for Beardsley and Alvord the owners of Empire. The address is marked West Winsted. As mentioned the factory is small.

The box in the lower right was used from 1891-1920`s. Note the lack of the letters "B" and "A" in the upper corners. Also the address is still West Winsted.
The factory is much larger.

empire.jpg

This box was used from the 1920`s till they closed in 1930. Note the absence of the "A superimposed over the B" in the center of the box, also the address is now listed as Winsted only.

There is another box with the West Winsted address that is different from those shown, sadly I do not own an example of it, yet.

Hope I did not bore everyone with these minute details:yawn:

Dimitri

The box in the upper left with the green label was used from 1876-1890. I have also seen this label in White. Note the letters "A" and "B" in the upper corners, this stood for Beardsley and Alvord the owners of Empire. The address is marked West Winsted. As mentioned the factory is small.

The box in the lower right was used from 1891-1920`s. Note the lack of the letters "B" and "A" in the upper corners. Also the address is still West Winsted.
The factory is much larger.

empire.jpg

This box was used from the 1920`s till they closed in 1930. Note the absence of the "A superimposed over the B" in the center of the box, also the address is now listed as Winsted only.

There is another box with the West Winsted address that is different from those shown, sadly I do not own an example of it, yet.

Hope I did not bore everyone with these minute details:yawn:

Dimitri

Far from bored!! Rapt is apt!!:D:D

Thanks for the history lesson Dimitri. Welcome to the forums.

Thanks for the welcome Navihawk!

Eric and Charlie,

Glad you are enjoying the history of these old boxes;)

Here now is a photocopy of the only other variation of an Empire box that I know of.
e.jpg

It dates from 1890-1920`s the big difference on this one is the lack of a photo of the knife factory.

Dimitri

Charlie, that's an old NYK box!! Beautiful! I think I have one just like it somewhere here, I'll have to look for it tomorrow. Here's one they supplied to Worthington, I like how they put their major customers' names on the box, really gives it a professional touch. They'd have definitely won me over if they offered me that option:

NY Knife  Co Worthington knife and box .jpg

NY Knife  Co Worthington knife and box pile side .jpg

And here's an old Saville with that classic New Orleans pizzaz:
Saville Cutlery Box.jpg

Eric

Thanks for the photos Charlie and Eric. I guess that answers the question "should I save the box"? Eric, the NYK Co. box outdoes GEC. On the bottom it says 'always in stock' something GEC can't claim.

Nice boxes, Eric!:thumbsup: It's sweet to have the ad knife that matches the retailer's (?) info!!
There must have been hundreds of box label variations for NYK packaging. Here are some group pictures I have shown before. Note, a non-NYK Waterville box.
Boxes 1.jpg Boxes 2.jpg Boxes 3.jpg Boxes 4.jpg

So much depth in each box ! Graphic art heaven. Keep them coming

Right on Gev! I can't keep the Schrade, Empire and the Diamond Edge boxes from blinking in my brain:eek: Thanks for the treat Charlie!!

Very nice and beautiful condition boxes with gorgeous color too Eric:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for bringing this thread back up, Charlie. I find this sort of thing fascinating! :thumbsup:

This thread is an example of the old saying "They don't make them like that anymore" not being a cliche or some misty eyed nostalgia either.:cool:

Beautiful stuff!:thumbsup:

Despite the Photobucket pillaging:mad:

Back