Old Randall Stag Handle Question

I am a bit curious if anyone knows the history of stag handled Randall Knives. Has Randall always used sambar stag for their handles or was there ever a time they used antlers from any north american species? I am just wondering because on a lot photos of their older knives I have seen the stag looks different.
Thanks

Very early, pre - 1943, there were some whitetail handles. Not many, mostly pre war. During WW2 95%+ were stacked leather handles. After the war, stag became a more common option and that was Sambar Stag.

The 1939 to 1942 catalog described stag as “fancy stag.” The 1942 to 1945 catalog described it as “decorated stag.” The 1945 to 1948 catalog described it as “stag horn (imported from India).” Since then the catalog has described stag as “genuine imported stag.” Sambar stag from India is commonly believed to be the best stag, therefore when the word “imported” was first used in 1945 may have indicated a change from domestic to Sambar stag.

Steve, good stuff from the catalogs. No stepping at all. I hope you are well. Are you coming to Blade in August?

view

So often the words Sambar Stag are thrown around and you wonder if it really is Sambar Stag. As noted the outside appearance varies.

With Randall you can tell it really is Sambar stag. Notice how dense the centers are and how small the pith spot is. Its obvious why it has always been considered a premium handle material. Really good stuff.

The top Knife is a Buck the bottom 3 are Randalls

Great posts Mitchell and Steve.

Last edited:
Yes indeed. Good point. The Hangas boys who enherited the Ruana business use elk antler, just as their Father and Grandfather did, but they only use thin slab inserts so they can get a few out of an antler. On the bowies which they make with full antler (not slab) handles they can only use antler from close to the skull. I made a pseudo puukko in a forging class with elk antler, and the pith has been a problem, but of course it is just a personal user knife so not critical.

I found a spike elk shed a few years ago that would have made a perfect beautiful knife handle, but the dog got to it..... Next spike I shoot I am going to keep the antlers for knife handles. Would Randall use a piece of elk antler for a custom knife if you sent it to them yourself? I would get it stabilized first.

You call and ask 'em. That said, other than the earliest RMK's, I don't recall seeing it used.

Back