Old School:New School Challenge

jaz322

Gold Member
If you own an old school fiddleback, for example, with makers mark older than the current “Fiddleback by AR,” and a new school fiddleback in the same model….post pics of them together and share your perspectives.

If you own an old school fiddleback but don’t have the current model to compare it with, here’s your “challenge” .....GET YOU ONE!

@Fiddleback Outpost created a great comparative thread for their woodsman here.

Last edited:
I wish I could participate. Maybe I'll get a hold of a true old school model someday. Now I'm just looking forward to some cool pics!

I have gotten together an impressive collection of the old ones over the years out of embarassment. LOL. Once the move settles down, give us a reminder, and Iĺl bring them in for Phil to post. Some of the knives underwent great change. The Bushfinger, the Woodsman and the Hunter all at once. The Nessmuk also comes to mind. And the EDC, which became quite a few different knives.

2v2JsKK6oxurAoi.jpg

2v2JsKKMWxurAoi.jpg

2v2JsK1wqxurAoi.jpg

2v2JsK1CdxurAoi.jpg

2v2JsK1GrxurAoi.jpg

2v2JsK18jxurAoi.jpg

2v2JsKpbWxurAoi.jpg

Two examples of early runts in 01 tool steel on top and a 2018 model in aeb-l stainless. Notable differences in the earlier models include:
  • More belly on the handle bottom.
  • Shorter handle.
  • Makers marks are not etched into metal.
  • Hard edges on guard.
  • No liners.
  • Single vs ‘standard’ pin configuration.
  • Longer blade.
  • Handle on one of the older models is fat and round, while the other has flat scales. The fat and round scales are typically not seen in today’s models; however, the shop still makes the thinner, flat scales on occasion.

gSU1cnV.jpg

C6lCbgs.jpg

NESSMUKS
Two early examples in 1095 when Andy was still ironing out his nessmuk design, and a 2018 model in A2 steel. Notable differences in the earlier models:
  • Mill finish on the flats (vs induced ‘spalting’).
  • Shorter handles.
  • No thumb ramp or finger guard.
  • Wood liners.
  • More rounded handles.
  • Non-standard lanyard tubes.
  • Various pin configurations.
  • No makers mark.
  • Less consistent handle shaping (handle shaping on the new ones are $money$)
sou2c0Y.jpg

cXTmxYj.jpg

NESSMUKS
Two early examples in 1095 when Andy was still ironing out his nessmuk design, and a 2018 model in A2 steel. Notable differences in the earlier models:
  • Mill finish on the flats (vs induced ‘spalting’).
  • Shorter handles.
  • No thumb ramp or finger guard.
  • Wood liners.
  • More rounded handles.
  • Non-standard lanyard tubes.
  • Various pin configurations.
  • No makers mark.
  • Less consistent handle shaping (handle shaping on the new ones are $money$)
sou2c0Y.jpg

cXTmxYj.jpg

OF NOTE: Earlier models don't even come close to passing the "poop" test.

Jazz, that green handled Runt has a corby bolt as the front pin. That was a phase I went through in my making. Might help you date it. I hate them now.

That old school Bushfinger has me feeling some kind of way. I absolutely love the shorter, curvier handle with the (seemingly) same length blade. I also love the smaller guard. Gorgeous knife!

Back