Old Sword set?

Hello, I am new to this site although I may have been a member years ago...I wonder if anyone can id this two piece sword set I got in a trade some years back? I was told by the man I traded for it that he got it while serving in Iraq and he was told they are 18'TH Century Mughal Ceremonial swords. I did post on another site back then asking if anyone could verify and received a reply from an antique sword dealer with his store in Spain. He told me it was indeed a Mughal set from the 18'th century and it was Wootz steel which he said is a form of Damascus. He also informed me Wootz was not allowed in the U.S. for over 150 years, so it was at least that old. I am a knife collector but not much on swords. I do not ever take an opinion of only one person as gospel, so if anyone here has any information about these, I am very thankful for any help. ...Well I cannot figure how to post pictures so if I figure it out I will. Sorry.

Not sure if registered members can attach images directly. Easiest way is to use a photo hosting service like imgur.com. Simply upload your images and post the IMG codes in your thread (depending on how you're accessing the site, they might not be ready to find...from my phone, I click on Links & select BB Code; from desktop, hover over image, click Get Share links, then select BBCode)

While we wait for pic - without which no questions about the sword(s) can be answered - I'd venture to say, that AFAIK wootz is not illegal - cant see, why it should be.

While we wait for pic - without which no questions about the sword(s) can be answered - I'd venture to say, that AFAIK wootz is not illegal - cant see, why it should be.

Agreed on that point. Both Pendray and Furrer have made it in the United States for years (or at least Pendray did prior to his passing).

Hello, I am new to this site although I may have been a member years ago...I wonder if anyone can id this two piece sword set I got in a trade some years back? I was told by the man I traded for it that he got it while serving in Iraq and he was told they are 18'TH Century Mughal Ceremonial swords. I did post on another site back then asking if anyone could verify and received a reply from an antique sword dealer with his store in Spain. He told me it was indeed a Mughal set from the 18'th century and it was Wootz steel which he said is a form of Damascus. He also informed me Wootz was not allowed in the U.S. for over 150 years, so it was at least that old. I am a knife collector but not much on swords. I do not ever take an opinion of only one person as gospel, so if anyone here has any information about these, I am very thankful for any help. ...Well I cannot figure how to post pictures so if I figure it out I will. Sorry.
I look forward to seeing the images. Not all damascus is wootz, of course, and for many Eastern craftsmen it was/is just called watered steel.

Zieg

Back