Old tanto

Status
Not open for further replies.
You will never prevent me from calling out the abuse or mistreatment of of an antique sword. What was done to the sword in question was wrong! Period, end of story! That is not proper restoration. If you don't feel it worth restoration, fine. But don't ruin it, preserve it as is.

BTW: I don't care what you think!

Where are you three brainiacs when someone needs assistance identifying or has questions regarding a Japanese sword. Next time someone asks, one of you feel free to jump right in and provide translations and answers. Otherwise STFU!

Depending on the level of "cleaning" it can likely be corrected by a good togi. Ive seen some hack jobs fixed to the point you couldnt even tell.

I mean no offense, but as a long time Nihonto student and collector, by polishing the hilt fittings (fuchi/kashira) and attempting to polish and etch the blade, you have removed any collector value to the item regardless of whether the tang (nakago) is signed or not. At least you didn't clean that.

Rich
The Japanese Sword Guide
http://www.japaneseswordindex.com/nihonto.htm

You people are unreal. Seriously. Unreal. Blatant disregard and respect? Where do you get off? Appalled by my photos? What...my photography is THAT bad? I thought some would enjoy the post......man....did I make a mistake. I should have known better. Some people on this forum (the whole forum) act as if they're some sort of god.

Clearing brush/dismounting tires? I am simply left jaw dropped by the comments here. Un freaking believable.

I paid $150 for this thing, which looked like total crap when I bought it, and you people are acting like I sawed a Masamune in half because I had a chop saw laying around.

Please, if all you want to do is trash me for making it look decent, please refrain from posting. Please.
:) Please do not lump every member of this forum together . We are all individuals and often have passionately opposing viewpoints and opinions . But if you insist on getting all riled up if some members disrespect you , it will be difficult to find happiness here ! ;)

I enjoyed your pics and take no offense in what you have done . It'd just an old knife (to me) that you have made better for your use and appreciation . It's not a religious icon or a national archeological treasure ! I would probably be stabbing or slashing at something with it to test it's worth as a weapon . That's probably why it was made ! If it's a good tool , then it is worthy of respect but never of worship . YMMV . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I liked your pics and think it looks great. It is your sword and you do what you want with it, period. Don’t worry about those couple of people who got all sweaty over your post.

The various insults and personalities aside as philisophical point does anyone think that because some one happened to have purchased Rembrandt that they are perfectly justified in having it " improved" by say adding some neon colors or perhaps painting over that woman in the corner?

The various insults and personalities aside as philisophical point does anyone think that because some one happened to have purchased Rembrandt that they are perfectly justified in having it " improved" by say adding some neon colors or perhaps painting over that woman in the corner?
:eek: Yes . Seriously , YES ! Otherwise you end up in world that does not recognize the concept of private property . I'm not saying I favor defacement of art . But, If I own an object , what exactly should that mean if not that it is mine to do with what I please, within the law ? :confused:

WOW! just WOW! I can not believe you said that it is ok to paint over a Rembrandt simply because you own it. See post #25

Using memes and pictures to replace intelligent conversation is a questionable tactic at best, but using them to insult others is a bad choice regardless of how you feel about the subject matter.
Discuss the subject or topic with the same respect you would ask others to show you. This is good advice for all here.

Thread is fini

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back