Old thread, new forum - A new place to post random ideas.

That is gorgeous, Scott.
AEB-L I assume?

That is gorgeous Scott, nice spacer layout, what are the materials? I love the way that leather contrasts with the red, looks great.

Thanks guys, steel on this is cpm154 HRc-62 with Cryogenic treatment from Bodycote. Handle materials are brass guard and spacers, leather washers, red paper Micarta and red G-10 spacers.

Scott, she's a beauty, as always. I'd suggest you consider bending the tang down starting at the guard, dropping the handle at the butt. That makes for a more useful, ergonomic cutting tool. Once, handling a bunch of Randall Made knives, old and new, I had an epiphany and immediately called the Randall Shop. Getting Gary Randall on the line, I expressed my understanding of why the knives made during his father's tenure were so sought-out as working tools; the dropped handle put the cutting edge in better alignment with the item being cut.

Specifically, the dropped handle relieved much of the stress on the wrist, forearm, elbow, upper arm, and shoulder - vs. a straight handle to blade aspect, which exacerbates the stress on said body parts. There was a moment of silence, then GTR dead-panned, "We don't make them like that anymore.", then hung up. Needless to say, I was quite tickled a few years later when the 'new' #4-6 Fighter was released...

4-6_FTR2.jpg

Your'e right Sheldon about the butt of the handle being positioned down from spine of the blade, the knife in the photo has pretty decent curve starting about mid way down the handle and gently drops the butt down by about 3/16". It's very difficult to see in the photo because of the angle I have to photograph the knife at to keep the lighting right. To keep the light right I'm taking the photo at 45-60 degree angle and i think it's missing the curve of the back of the handle and showing the much flatter side view of the handle. I took another straight on 90 degree photo to show what I'm talking about, but this how the lighting is when I take a photo like this.

IMG_0178.jpg

These are incredible Scott, that Musk Ox really sets that one off.

Spectacular does not do them justice Scott. Absolutely amazing.

IMG_0386.jpg

Finished up 3 more Scagel style knives, now time to start the leather work. A 4" B&T with the musk ox spacer, a 4 1/4" dropped hunter with mammoth ivory spacer and a 6" trailing point hunter ( My take on the Scagel boat scraper knife). The boat scraper knife also features a mammoth ivory spacer.

Note to self : JPEG / medium / most compatible / large
( This is the largest file I can post on BFC )

Last edited:
Those are incredible Scott, the boat scraper blade is absolutely beautiful. I had to look up the background on that, pretty interesting story.

Finished up 3 more Scagel style knives, now time to start the leather work. A 4" B&T with the musk ox spacer, a 4 1/4" dropped hunter with mammoth ivory spacer and a 6" trailing point hunter ( My take on the Scagel boat scraper knife). The boat scraper knife also features a mammoth ivory spacer.
View attachment 1056720
Those are absolute beauties, a trio of treats!

Those are incredible Scott, the boat scraper blade is absolutely beautiful. I had to look up the background on that, pretty interesting story.
Yep, that’s how Bo Randall got started making knives.

Back