Old Timer 6OT and 7OT?

afishhunter

Gold Member
Were either ever a standard production with a 1095 or other carbon steel blade, or, like the Buck 110, did they always have a stainless steel blade? (excluding dealer SFO's)

Both my pre-2000 6OT, and 7OT have the "Schrade +" tang stamp. :(

All the early 4-pin 7OTs were non-stainless. The first 3-pin 7OTs might be non-stainless but I would not be sure until I tested them. No 6OTs were non-stainless. Too bad you can't PM back and forth.

the first 3 pins were non-stainless i have a couple of examples. have the 4 pin and two three pins, one carbon and one stainless. looked at my only 6OT and it was stainless also. also looked at my 9OT and it was stainless too.

Last edited:
Were either ever a standard production with a 1095 or other carbon steel blade, or, like the Buck 110, did they always have a stainless steel blade? (excluding dealer SFO's)

Both my pre-2000 6OT, and 7OT have the "Schrade +" tang stamp. :(

codger posted lots of great 7OT "Cave Bear" info here:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/7ot-cave-bear-research.482888/

It discusses 1095 vs stainless blades and years of production.

I've owned most versions of the 7OT over the years. Right now I only own one. The general rule that knives stamped "Schrade" are carbon and knives stamped "Schrade+" are stainless applies to the 7OT pattern. You will have no trouble getting an example with your choice of blade steel. Just watch for the plus sign.

I have one 7OT and it is definitely not stainless. I love it. Awesome knife!
My current example is an early 4-pin 7OT that's borderline display-quality. My original plan was to remove the scratches and polish it back to factory condition. It would also make a great user knife and I've been fence-sitting regarding my next steps. Your enthusiasm towards your carbon 7OT makes me want to put mine on my belt!

Here's a pic of my 7OT with a 1978 "South Carolina" Christmas set and what has to be the most appropriate stone to sharpen any 7OT with the "heart of a beast". My scanner messed up the colour of the blades. All three knives have blades that look as bright as the centre knife. There's no patina to speak of on any of them.

gqFu5lf.jpg

fGze1ti.jpg

Om8iiHB.jpg

eC8Ez9U.jpg

Last edited:
Here's mine. Plenty of patina. It rides on my hip most days. Love it.

my edc is a close cousin the LB7 stainless blade and mostly the same size only a bit heavier. it goes next to my billfold in my back pocket. have carried one since they first came out.

my edc is a close cousin the LB7 stainless blade and mostly the same size only a bit heavier. it goes next to my billfold in my back pocket. have carried one since they first came out.
I carried a 7OT every day in Jr. High to 2014, when I bought my first 110.

How, is a mystery, since the 7OT allegedly wasn't brought out until 1978 ... 4 years after I graduated from high school, and 9 or 10 years after I started carrying one in 1968 or 1969....

I "know" it wasn't a 110, since (a) the 110 never had saw cut Delrin covers, (b) never came with a brown/tan "Schrade" sheath, like the 5 inch lock back I had starting in 7th or 8th grade, and (c) I couldn't afford a 110 on my paper route money in 1968/1969.
(I had a small route; maybe 50 - 60 papers, and over half of my "customers" had a yearly subscription paid direct to the news paper.)

I recently purchased a US made 6OT still in the plastic packaging off of ebay. The packaging clearly identifies it as the 6OT Cave Bear. Most of the references I've seen on the 6OT call it the Golden Bear, with the 7OT being called the Cave Bear. Did I get a fogery or did Schrade use the terms Cave Bear and Golden Bear alternately? I know the Schrade company changed back and forth on numerous things about their knives over the years. Just wondering what the discrepancy is here. Any thoughts?

Have a great day!

Single Bolster (barehead) or double bolster? If single bolster, it's possible they put a 6OT in a 7OT package.
Wouldn't be the first time something was put in the wrong package.
For example, I've seen "high end/high dollar pre-assembled collector" models (with a clear plastic stackable one car display case) of a blue and white two-tone 1957 Chevy Convertible in a factory sealed and labeled "Pink 1959 Cadillac Convertible" box/package.

Last edited:
Thanks fishhunter. I thought about that, and maybe something like that happened. It is a barehead, single bolster knife with the sawcut delrin handle. It is a 6OT. The package is clearly labelled "6OT Cave Bear." I would post a picture if I knew how.

Back