Old Timer Repair

Hey Everyone,

This is my first post on here so please bare with me. This question could be in the FAQ but I really am not sure.
So I had two knives (USA made schrade old timer 330t's) that had broken pivot pins. I was able to repair one by drilling a hole through the bolsters and using the new holes for my pivot pin. But before I get too far down the road on my second knife... Is there any way to rebuild it using the key hole/swinden key? Or is the only way is to drill through the bolsters? I'm not sure if i can rebuild the pin to utilize the key hole. If it is possible to buy the parts somewhere that'd be even better! I'm trying to rebuild to be as close to the original build as possible. Thank you in advance for your helpful feedback!

I would post pictures, but i'm still trying to figure that out too!

Since you really only need to post a couple pictures for now you should use this https://postimages.org/ It's the easiest there is.
Just upload your picture, hit the blue icon at the hotlink for forums to copy it, then paste it here.

Now to your question, I don't know of any way you can get a new swinden key to put in it because it's an inferior system and they're always just drilled through if they get loose.
And unless it's sentimental I wouldn't worry too much about keeping them original because schrade made so many OT's and they're definitely available.

My childhood 34OT had no snap in it's sheep's foot blade which also say waaay high, but I failed to drill through it to turn it into a single blade slipjont so I turned it into this friction folder.

Last edited:
You definitely want to fix it right, that video is a good one!

Welcome to the forum:)

I don't believe I have ever seen a successful rebuild using a new swinden rivet, other than the method posted above using new pins and drilled bolsters. I'm sure someone somewhere has the skill and equipment to replicate that swinden rivet, but I don't recall seeing it shown anywhere.

IMHO the Swinden Key was a defective design.
I know it was one of the reasons Buck dropped Schrade and contracted with Camillus on the 300 series before they started making them in house.
The Swinden Key is not as strong as a pin.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts! I used that video for my first build and it turned out great! I had a rookie mistake and didn't do a deep clean on the liners and blades while it was disassembled! But I'm being more thorough on my second repair! I'm glad I had the same thoughts about the swinden key as everyone else does! Once again thank you for your help, I'm happy to be part of the community!

Back