Old utensils

As a curiosity does any one know about these two older utensils. The first is a large cleaver, very large probably weighs about two and a half to three pounds I'd guess. Tried to weigh it but the scale was unsuitable. It's a quarter of an inch thick at the spine and has wood handles. The blade is 9 inches long and 4 inches in height. Lots of patina but no rust. Has "Biddell" stamped on the blade of it with the numbers 900 9" beneath. I suppose it was used originally for dismembering large animals. I bought it at a swap meet about ten years ago for cheap. I'm mostly interested in the age of the tool and the Biddell company.

The second is a large fork. Marked on the handle "Dexter" usa , High carbon steel, and the number 28914. Looks to be as old as the cleaver. Lots of patina but no rust. It's fourteen inches long and probably weighs a pound and a half. I've had this fork for about 30 years and it looks the same now as it did when I got it. I can't remember how it came to me however. As the cleaver I'm more interested in the actual age of it.
Thanks for any information.

Dexter Russell still lists the 14” 28914 forged broiler fork in their catalog, though today it’s #28914MF, they also list the same style forged broiler fork in 12” and 22” lengths. These are standard meat folks in the foodservice industry, commercial grade, you’re typically not going to see them in a home chef carving set.

I can’t help you on the cleaver...1/4” stock w/a 9” blade...That’s a big cleaver. I have my wife’s Grandfather’s Foster Brothers #238 cleaver, it’s 1/8” thick w/a 8” blade and it’s a beast; her Grandfather was a German trained butcher who came to the US during WWI before the US entered the war, he settled in Northern California and made sausage for a living...

KR

Last edited:
Thank you kniferep. Yeah the cleaver is a beast. I gave fifteen bucks for it at a swap meet, just couldn't pass it up. Laying on a table with a bunch of junk around it.

Google Briddell not Biddell . They were the maker and made lots of old cleavers.

Those heavy duty forks are a must for barbecuing heavy cuts.

Last edited:
spideyjg, I just looked again and it is BRIDDELL, not BIDDELL. Thanks for the heads up. I do use the large fork for holding down roasts and joints while carving. You push that big fork in and down and nothing is moving or sliding.

Don't stick forks in your meat when grilling, lets the juices out. Use tongs.

Back