Old what i think to be a roofing hammer?

My grandma was throwing these away because she said they were junk. Well I have an issue with letting things with obviously hand used history be sent to the landfill. Can any of you much smarter than me on the subject peeps help a sista out :)

Also i dont know how to post pictures on here so im using one i found on ebay looks exactly like this except mine doesnt have a plumb inprint. It has no writing at all. The handle appears to have been originally red.

I cannot see your image, you could try using a site like Flickr or imgur as a host, then right clicking on the image, selecting "view image" then copy/pasting the link in here

We're happy to help but we'll need to see a photo. Another easy site to use for image hosting is postimage.

Very few roofers use the side pins as shingle exposure guides which is generally why they are absent. Red paint is handy for finding the tool when it accidentally slides off a roof, especially on construction sites with sand and dirt and debris laying around, or in retrieving it from out of a manicured hedge. Staplers and air nailers have pretty much displaced roofing hammers.

Thanks Steve for posting his photo. I used one of those for a number of years. DM

I find they are usually pretty cheap at swap meets, flea markets, and the such. I buy all i see and clean them up and give to friends to throw in their trucks or cars for emergencies. While you cant chop down a tree or it would take forever. They come in handy in an emergency situation.

That is interesting. I had forgotten about these. I have never used a shingle hatchet, personally, but have seen then around old places. Aren't those "holes" for screws that hold a blade or something?

Back