Older Japanese Sword ID help

Hello all!
Recent purchase from a LGS. Guy had no clue where he got it from but was selling it. Looked old so I picked it up. Just wondering if it is old and any info anyone would have about it would be amazing! I got another sword that I’ll be posting later. Thank you all for your help!

https://imgur.com/gallery/osv0dvd

The tanto is signed Kanetoshi.
Nothing is absolute and this is merely my opinion based on a few photos, as such my assessment is based on probabilities, opposed to absolutes,

Note that the following information is assuming that the mei (signature ) is legit.
There were many mei faked, though with this being an uneventful and possibly undocumented smith, the probability of this being gimei (fake) is low.

Occasionally the last character is read as Chika, but there are no Kanechika listed which use that character for chika, eliminating that possibility or, making the probability very, very low (there were undocumented smiths).

There are 2 smiths listed who used this combination of characters for Kanetoshi which were Sue-Seki smiths from the Momoyama period (late 1500's).
A few things seen in the blade coincide with that time period while others are questionable.
The Yasurime (file marks) seen on the nakago fits as does the hamon (temper line).
The jihada (grain in body of blade) on the other hand does not look like typical Sue-Seki hada at all, but more like a Shinshinto Muji hada.
I reiterate that I am basing this opinion on one less than optimal photo of a poorly polished blade.

I am including photos of a tanto from the same period and same area (Mino/Seki) in order that you can see the similarity of the yasurime and the difference in the hada.(see below)

Regardless of the age of the blade, the koshirae is later (newer). The crane menuki look to be pretty nice. The koshirae fittings look ok with the exception of the Tsuba(guard). I can't decide if the tsuba is a Chinese copy or simply very poorly made. The Kozuka-ana (small hole) is so poorly cut , it is the main reason I think Chinese copy. Either way, I don't think it original to this sword due to the improper fit. You can see where the seppa (washers) have been resting against the tsuba. They should not cover the engraving but lie inside on the seppa-dai. Also, the kozuka-ana doesn't appear to line up with the kozuka pocket on the saya (could just be the photo). The original tsuba was probably replaced with this one for whatever reason (think sell).

Tanto_Mino_Hori.jpg

Tanto_Mino_NakagoO (1).jpg

Attachments

• Tanto_Mino_Hori.jpg
    Tanto_Mino_Hori.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Tanto_Mino_NakagoO (1).jpg
    Tanto_Mino_NakagoO (1).jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 3
Pretty cool-lookin' koshirae tho.

Yes, I like the koshirae, aside from the tsuba and the missing uragawara. But, the tsuba could be changed and the uragawara replaced.

Yes, I like the koshirae, aside from the tsuba and the missing uragawara. But, the tsuba could be changed and the uragawara replaced.

Do you happen to know what the flowers / gear cog images mean?

My feeling is that they are stylized flowers, though I have never seen them depicted that way. I do not know their meaning or what flower they might represent. Would be interesting to find out.

I have no knowledge of Japanese edged weapons, but what is on the scabbard looks more like Sand Dollar, than a flower. John

John, that is reasonable and likely, now that you mention it :thumbsup:. It could be sand dollars and seaweed which would tie in with the sea theme of the tsuba, waves and chidori.

Geez, been a long time since I’ve been studying, I’ve owned and still own numerous Katanas, couple found in garage sales from us troops who then moved to Canada. You me was featured on YouTube from Aoi Art in Japan as they did a great service and polished for free. A Tanba No Kanu Yoshimichi an imperial smith with the Suguha Ba hamon. Unfortunately it had a fatal flaw so instead of being worth 20-25k it’s more like 1500-2000 for ascetics, but it’s beautiful.

Southern Comort clearly studies further than I have but correct me if I am wrong. There was a smith named Kanetoshi who forged gendaito during WW2? That may explain the changed fittings and the Hada. Having said that, it’s purely a guess, the tang looks older, the length of tang also supports older date but it was refitted. Plus I see no stamp. Often military swords were stamped with a star or

Back