Older JK's

Like that medium sized tactical knife, I would chose 1/8 thickness, be a good all around knife.

How about this Vic Climber for which John crafted canvas micarta scales:

DSC_8593.JPG

DSC_8595.JPG

DSC_8596.JPG

He also re-scaled this Buck 110:

DSC_3697.JPG

DSC_3699.JPG

DSC_3704.JPG

best

mqqn

What "older" thread would be complete without......

SCANDUCKIE

The idea behind the scanduckie was to make a small pocket blade that could be gripped edge down or edge up and used as a slicing tool. It features a scandi grind, from back when JK first started doing them. I put finger grooves in the top and bottom to accommodate a three-finger grip in either orientation. The concave thumb-ramp features notching, making that area great for use on a fire-stick.

I also had John put holes in the handle so it could be tied to a stick for gigging/spearing fish etc.

Today - I would perhaps ask for the knife in satin, have the butt end rounded and champfered to use as a pry-bar, and carry it in a small kydex pocket sheath.

DSC_8611.JPG

DSC_8612.JPG

Anyone else have ideas how to improve the usefulness or look of the Scanduckie?

best

mqqn

I got the old budget hunter. My buddy is learning how to work with leather so he is making a pocket slip for it. I will post pictures as soon as i get it back. It might have to go to its father for a spa treatment though.

Okay, sorry it took so long, but I'll start with the pics now! I'll have to add them over a few days but here's a couple.

I already had some JKs that my dad gave me but here's the first one I bought right from John:

LTUGO9n.jpg

Here's a couple of smaller ones:

vKQyCCN.jpg

I think this one is a bit of a rarity, not sure:

T2cZABc.jpg

Here's a larger one, one of the thicker ones I have:

OyNbh4t.jpg

A really large one!

7pRd55S.jpg

I'll confess I don't really know what this one is or what it was designed for. Seems like a sheep's foot or Wharncliffe:

Ps0KA4U.jpg

As soon as I get a chance I'll photograph and upload another batch.:)

First picture is a Proud Supporter Knife
Second picture is a Hiker`s Backup and E.W.O.K.
Third picture is a Hunter`s Hatchet
Fourth picture is an Anniversary Knife
Fifth picture is a Hudson Bay (ultra rare brown two tone garolite handles)
Sixth picture is a New Hiker Variant

What "older" thread would be complete without......

SCANDUCKIE

The idea behind the scanduckie was to make a small pocket blade that could be gripped edge down or edge up and used as a slicing tool. It features a scandi grind, from back when JK first started doing them. I put finger grooves in the top and bottom to accommodate a three-finger grip in either orientation. The concave thumb-ramp features notching, making that area great for use on a fire-stick.

I also had John put holes in the handle so it could be tied to a stick for gigging/spearing fish etc.

Today - I would perhaps ask for the knife in satin, have the butt end rounded and champfered to use as a pry-bar, and carry it in a small kydex pocket sheath.

DSC_8611.JPG

DSC_8612.JPG

Anyone else have ideas how to improve the usefulness or look of the Scanduckie?

best

mqqn
Needs yellow micarta scales

Wow, I figured we would have seen more than that! I know there are a lot more JK's out there than that! I guess I will have to get some of mine together too! Things are just still in a mess since we moved some of our stuff down here! Looks like we still have about two more Pods to bring down but, not all at one time!

ft

Back