Omega Spring popped out of liner

buccilli15

Gold Member
Earlier this morning I noticed that one of the omega springs in my bugout had popped out of the liner. I was able to carefully, without any disassembly, push it back into place. All appears fine and I'm 99% sure the spring is not broken.

Anybody ever experienced an Omega Spring that popped out of the liner?

Brief history on the bugout:
I've carried it everyday for the past month, but have only used it maybe four times for general EDC. I'm not a fidgeter and don't flick my knives open at all. This knife has been opened/closed less than 30 times. It could have came from the factory like this, but I highly doubt it - I think I would have noticed it over the past month. The spring was actually rubbing on the blade, which is how I noticed it to begin with. Anyways, I'm dumbfounded..

SVbDgPe.jpg

A1348C05-618D-4219-9320-B2A453BE4991.jpeg I thought the Omega springs were located between the liners and the scales. If the spring can move far enough for the tail to pop out of the anchor hole, maybe the liner needs to be snugged up to the scale.

View attachment 1015429 I thought the Omega springs were located between the liners and the scales. If the spring can move far enough for the tail to pop out of the anchor hole, maybe the liner needs to be snugged up to the scale.

On all of my newer models, the Omega spring hole in the liner has been eliminated. It's replaced with a little slot; you can kind of see it in my pic above if you look closely. No idea if this played any role in my issue, just an observation.

Time permitting, I'm going to take off the handle tonight and inspect everything.

I have heard of that before, just can't remember when/where and for what knife but it seems to me it could have been the Bugout. I have had my Bugout for close to a year and have opened/closed it millions of times with nary a hiccup. Hopefully it won't bork on you again.

20181113_192908-2241x3984.jpg 20181113_193211-1494x2656.jpg Hmmm mine just popped out on my mini onslaught.

I'll snap a picture.

Edit..

Snapped it, now half of one spring is out of the knife and the other is still in at the axis thumb/finger post.

Gosh darn it! I knew some people had bad luck with springs, I was hoping I wasn't going to be one of them. I've only had the knife for a couple of months.

Last edited:
View attachment 1020212 View attachment 1020213 Hmmm mine just popped out on my mini onslaught.

I'll snap a picture.

Edit..

Snapped it, now half of one spring is out of the knife and the other is still in at the axis thumb/finger post.

Gosh darn it! I knew some people had bad luck with springs, I was hoping I wasn't going to be one of them. I've only had the knife for a couple of months.

Sorry pal.. Happened to me too..

I'll hand you 5 magic words:

Remembrance Stainless Steel Memory Wire

Sorry pal.. Happened to me too..

I'll hand you 5 magic words:

Remembrance Stainless Steel Memory Wire

Is this something I need to buy to replace the benchmades springs?

Edit

Oh thanks, I looked into it and I see what you mean. What guage wire do you recommend and what diameter spool?

Last edited:
Is this something I need to buy to replace the benchmades springs?

Edit

Oh thanks, I looked into it and I see what you mean. What guage wire do you recommend and what diameter spool?

The gauge is pretty much identical to the original spring. Here is a picture of the package I got:

ddLaKTQ.jpg

My spring broke exactly the same way as yours did.

Here is a picture of the ones I made(the original that didn't break at the bottom) and the tools I used. The one to the left is a wire cutter. No issues with them, works perfect. I know there are several guys who have installed them, never heard of a brake.

PAp3toN.jpg

Last edited:
Those rounded-nose pliers are the ticket! If I had a set of those, I’d have been making omega springs years ago!

Gotta find a set of those.

Those rounded-nose pliers are the ticket! If I had a set of those, I’d have been making omega springs years ago!

Gotta find a set of those.

Yeah, they are great. But I think I've seen a video where the guy made the bends just using objects, like pens, and bending the wire round those.

Back