Omega springs

Question? Who is going to be the first to come out with replacement omega springs .
Seems to me it would work . I might send my 940 in for replacement, but many wouldn't .

Jake.

Someone on the forum already offers replacement springs iirc. Also you can make your own. And Benchmade will replace broken ones if you send them in.

I contacted Wolff springs (they make the omegas for the new RSK) and they said they couldn’t sell in small quantities but I’m guessing a group buy could work if enough people were interested! They said minimum of 1000 springs.

Last edited:
I contacted Wolff springs (they make the omegas for the new RSK) and they said they couldn’t sell in small quantities but I’m guessing a group buy could work if enough people were interested! They said minimum of 1000 springs.
In the rare instance that an Omega spring breaks, most people would just send the knife in to Benchmade. I think a group buy for this would be very difficult.

I’ve had well over 100 Benchmades (all users) and never had or seen a broken omega spring. What are people doing to break them?
They're springs. They break.

My Kulgera broke it's first spring about 3 years after I bought it, probably around 2012. I probably opened the knife a few times a day to cut things. The second spring broke a few weeks later. Sent the knife in and Benchmade replaced the springs. It's been good for the last 7 years.

I’ve had well over 100 Benchmades (all users) and never had or seen a broken omega spring. What are people doing to break them?
I bought a lnib mini onslaught that looked the description. Within a month of ownership and not a lot of carry one of the springs broke. I don't know if age was a factor (2012) or what, but ya first benchmade I've ever owned and it needed to go for warranty. Good warranty experience and it came back minty, but I couldn't give you a reason why the springs broke.

I love opening and closing Axis locks and I do often just for the fun of it, but it seems to prematurely wear out the omega springs and cause them to break. Thankfully, it isn't difficult to make new ones and replace them yourself. I know people do it all the time, but I don't like the idea of risking losing my $100+ knife in the mail for a repair job I can do myself.

I broke an omega on my mini barrage flicking it open over and over. I was addicted to that assist!

My first Benchmade was a griptillian. I had it for just a few months when the omega spring broke, so I contacted the company. I was instructed that the only way to correct the issue was to send the knife back to have it looked at. I was disappointed enough at that point that I threw the knife in the trash and swore to never buy another..... a decade later I find myself trying some out because of the M4 steel and I am impressed! Who knows if the springs will last but the steel, action and grips are impressive.

I understand the concern about the springs breaking at an inopportune time, which is why I carry a fixed blade knife when hiking. But based on the 6 different Benchmade knives I've owned and used, it doesn't seem to be a common problem. Maybe I've just been lucky.

It could be a dangerous situation if the spring breaks when the knife is in your hand during hard use...the Omega spring is the main part that keeps the lock closed and locked in any axis lock knife. No spring no lock...
I never had a problem with broken springs, maybe some other folks had issues hence the demand for spare springs. I hope it is not a defect or a weakness in that lock system because the consequences could be painful. Lol.

With any lock you have an opportunity for failure. The axis is no different and sometimes a spring fails. The good news is that it is designed to be easily fixed. I've never had one break on me (knock on wood).

Even if a spring breaks, the other spring is enough to keep the lock engaged and not let it slip. The chance of both springs failing at the same time is incredibly small.

That’s why they never broke.

They break when a dude only carries one Benchmade every day all the time.

I think it's luck of the draw somewhat. My old man has one Benchmade that I bought him years ago. He only carries that knife and has for years with no issue so far (knock on wood). :)

Even if a spring breaks, the other spring is enough to keep the lock engaged and not let it slip. The chance of both springs failing at the same time is incredibly small.
This was my experience. When one of my springs broke, the second spring kept the lock in place. I was able to use the knife for about 2 weeks before the second spring broke.

Back