On a budget; 420 grade or 430 grade SS?

Hi, I am not experienced in knives or steel grades. I only discovered that there were different types of SS recently. I need a knife set but have very little money, so 400 series it is. Between 430 grade and 420 grade, which would be the better knife set? I read that 430 grade has higher chromium so it should protect more against rust correct? Yet the 420 grade has less chromium but is priced higher?
Please excuse my ignorance. I just need some advice please c:

go to a restaurant supply store and look at the knives they have. find something that is the size you like and has a comfortable handle. don't worry about the steel, especially on a tight budget.

430 (also called 18/0 steel) is more for spoons, forks, butter knives. It is a ferritic steel that is not hardenable by heat treating, so it is not good for cutting blades that need to hold an edge and be resharpened. Also used for automotive trim and cabinet handles.

420 is martensitic steel that can be heat treated, and is used for knife blades. 420HC and its equivalents can be used to make decent budget knives. 420J2 is lower end, though still better than 430.

420 will be adequately rust resistant for kitchen needs but is not quite as corrosion resistant as 430 (which is why no one worries about throwing their stainless flatware in the dishwasher, whereas you ideally should not do the same to cutlery-grade steels).

Last edited:
There are many well made budget kitchen knives sets out there or even just piece together a set from a few affordable knives. You really only need about 4-5 kitchen knives to do everything you need in a kitchen IMO. A chefs style knife, a santoku style knife, a longer combination carver/bread knife and a smaller utility knife like boning style knife. Those 4 styles/types of knives will do about any task you need in the kitchen IMO.

There are many sub$100 complete knife sets out there including a knife block that would suit your needs on your limited budget. Also, are you in the US?

OP, what is your budget of "very little money". What are we talking about? I can send you a link for a very functional full set of forged kitchen knives with a block for $40.

If you can take care of things, you can get a $10-14 Old Hickory 7" butcher knife in carbon steel, and be set. Just need to put an edge on it, and wipe dry after use. Easy to maintain and sharpen, and cuts great. I used for a few years before I got a "real" Chef's knife in 52100. Still use it, and have a few because of the value and performance.

Back