On Randall knives

There was a time when some of the very best knives around for practical purposes (hunting, fishing, camping) were the Randall Made Knives. In particular, the 01 steel Randall. It took a little work to get the right bevel and edge but they got sharp, were easy to keep sharp, they were (are) tough, good looking and comfortable to carry and handle (I usually ordered the sheath without the stone pocket).

They remain rather scarce, expensive, they keep the same collection and as far as I know the same steels (01 and some type of SS). However, I don’t follow the forums regularly so I don’t remain current with what’s what with current knife affairs. In any case, I wonder: are Randall knives as popular as they were? I hardly see them mentioned here. If they are not, why not. Are they still using 440C and ATS-34 stainless steel? Are they mostly collectors knives now?

Thank you for your comments. I still use a Randall occasionally, and I hold them in high esteem.

Hello, I don't currently own a Randall but have owned a few 18's and 14's over the years. I do believe they are still quite sought after by some folks still. There is also a Randall forum here on BF also where you can look around and chat with other Randall owners.

There is a 14 for sale I believe here on BF as well, so they are still being bought and sold and traded. I'm not sure of the quality these days but maybe someone will chime in that has purchased one recently with more info. Well good luck and have a good one.

The wait time is still 5+ years from Randall and many months from Randall dealers (you'll pay more).

My first Randall was in 1966 so I've been following them for more than 50 years. IMHO they have gone from a much sought after combat and outdoor knife to a highly sought after "safe queen" collectible. 50 years ago there was little competition but now in the "golden age" of knives there hundreds of other choices, some better at a lower price point and available overnight. It is still my opinion that you can't beat the Model 1 Fighting Knife for a fighting Bowie that is easily carried.

They are still using O-1 carbon steel. Since I don't care for stainless, I can't recall what they use.

There was a time when some of the very best knives around for practical purposes (hunting, fishing, camping) were the Randall Made Knives. In particular, the 01 steel Randall. It took a little work to get the right bevel and edge but they got sharp, were easy to keep sharp, they were (are) tough, good looking and comfortable to carry and handle (I usually ordered the sheath without the stone pocket).

They remain rather scarce, expensive, they keep the same collection and as far as I know the same steels (01 and some type of SS). However, I don’t follow the forums regularly so I don’t remain current with what’s what with current knife affairs. In any case, I wonder: are Randall knives as popular as they were? I hardly see them mentioned here. If they are not, why not. Are they still using 440C and ATS-34 stainless steel? Are they mostly collectors knives now?

Thank you for your comments. I still use a Randall occasionally, and I hold them in high esteem.

They aren't talked about much because they cost entirely too much for what they are, are difficult to acquire* and frankly, there are so many knives out there now in steels that are flat out better in virtually every objective category (99.9999999999999999% of which have the big advantage of being actually easily available) that buying Randalls just don't make much sense if you need a dependable, hard use blade.

When they start making knives in 3V that don't take four years (or paying a dealer for an off-the-shelf model) to get in hand, get back to me. Until then, I'll pass.

I should mention that they do have their fans, and I'm sure they're decent knives. I've held a few at knife shows and they're ok for what they are. However, when I head out into the trees, I have a CPK FK2 in D3V at my side. That's just me.

* a multi-year wait? Hard no, and hell, I live here in the same town as them!!

They aren't talked about much because they cost entirely too much for what they are, are difficult to acquire* and frankly, there are so many knives out there now in steels that are flat out better in virtually every objective category (99.9999999999999999% of which have the big advantage of being actually easily available) that buying Randalls just don't make much sense if you need a dependable, hard use blade.

When they start making knives in 3V that don't take four years (or paying a dealer for an off-the-shelf model) to get in hand, get back to me. Until then, I'll pass.

I should mention that they do have their fans, and I'm sure they're decent knives. I've held a few at knife shows and they're ok for what they are. However, when I head out into the trees, I have a CPK FK2 in D3V at my side. That's just me.

* a multi-year wait? Hard no, and hell, I live here in the same town as them!!
You make a great point. A CPK is hard to beat in all respects. Thank you.

I agree with Quiet in terms of getting one. I think they are too expensive for what they are. But many people still love them. I have a few that I will probably sell at some point which I purchased in years past. They remain unused and never sharpened. I'm getting to the point in my life with knives that I really need to make a decision regarding them..... I still love them, but I don't buy them anymore. From an "expensive" knife point of view, Randall's started me on the path I now tread.

I agree with Quiet in terms of getting one. I think they are too expensive for what they are. But many people still love them. I have a few that I will probably sell at some point which I purchased in years past. They remain unused and never sharpened. I'm getting to the point in my life with knives that I really need to make a decision regarding them..... I still love them, but I don't buy them anymore. From an "expensive" knife point of view, Randall's started me on the path I now tread.
Same here. I had a US Divers made in the USA divers knife when I was a teenager and lost it on a diving trip. By then all similar knives were made in Japan, and I wanted to replace the old knife with another made in the USA divers knife. After a long search, WAY before the internet, I found the Randall #16. And it’s been down hill ever since.

You make a great point. A CPK is hard to beat in all respects. Thank you.

Yessir. I DO feel that I should make a final addendum on my post above, in that I was a bit hasty and overlooked one major reason why Randall still has its fans: that classic design language. For many folks (age being irrelevant), those designs and materials call back to a simpler time, and as a general and generally huge fan of knives, I can understand and respect that reasoning. I can tell you that I personally would not pay what Randalls cost either from a dealer, or on secondary, but that shouldn't discount them as being worthless objectively. I'm sure there are countless folks out there who will only carry a Randall-Made knife, and be well served by it. I went back and read my post, and felt it came off as a bit too dismissive. They were industry titans at one time, and that should be respected.

Yeah they are super nice knives but they are a tough sell for the typical user. There is a good sub here in the collectors area about them.

I know I see a few every year at the annual fall gun show (coming soon) and it's the same ones in the same glass display box year in in year out.

I believe Randall uses 440B for their stainless steel. Spyderco's has Randall knives in stock at their factory outlet. Gorgeous blades.
yep thats what I've always heard. 440b for stainless on Randalls.

id own many if the wait wasnt so long. the dealers who stock some never seem to have the models I want so I have none so far......

yep thats what I've always heard. 440b for stainless on Randalls.

id own many if the wait wasnt so long. the dealers who stock some never seem to have the models I want so I have none so far......
Spyderco's Factory Store in Golden has quite a few -- check the website.

I received one this year after the long wait and am happy with it. I went with a 1-6 with stacked leather handle and single hit. I don't think the price was bad at all...think it was $350...with a high quality leather sheath- I don't think it's bad at all. I had never even handled one before and once I got it in hand understood why it's called an all purpose fighting knife- the balance is just amazing. I'm happy to have an american classic in my collection.

Last edited:
Just checked one large on-line auction site, there is page after page of them at crazy prices from dealers. They can't be that hard to get.....

I've wanted a Randall knife for years, the waiting is what I can't handle... 5 years is a long time. Earth could be struck by I gigantic meteor in the intermittent time, would probably buy from a stocking dealer, but nobody seems to carry a cattleman with a border patrol handle... I just wound up working with a custom maker here to do something similar, and lost the useless choil in the process. Plus I got it a lot faster.

Back