On Randall knives

It potentially ties in with my retirement date, so something to look forward to ;)
Glad you said "potentially" as when you get there, many are not ready to retire or want to. I really don't care what Scotty has to say any more. He should have sent it back to the Captain and got a refund..... end of story rather than bad mouthing Randall when his experience does not reflect 90%+ of the buyers and users of Randall knives.

Of course!
I have gone for a plain Model 1-7, no changes from the catalogue. 7" carbon blade, double brass hilt, stacked leather handle with Duralumin butt cap.

Can't go wrong with that. Super classic choice.:thumbsup::)

I have two nice ones inbound from Nordic Knives in March, April. I am patient but 5 years is a bit to long for me.:D

Of course!
I have gone for a plain Model 1-7, no changes from the catalogue. 7" carbon blade, double brass hilt, stacked leather handle with Duralumin butt cap.

Beautiful. As classic as a RMK can come. Good things come to those who wait, and this 1-7 is good; very good.

Zero customer service? Why does he have to answer questions? Didn't he tell you to send it back? (for repair or replacement I assume)
Yes zero. Why? Because his company built the knife that's why. Sending it back was not an option as I do not trust the dealer.
Answer me this. If you buy something.....anything that is hand made, and it comes with major flaws you are not gonna contact the maker? Spare me. All you guys on here know damn well that if you got a handmade knife from any maker and it came with obvious flaws you'd be burning up the makers phone line wanting to know why your knife is a mess.

You are wrong. It’s none of your business “Why”. No company tells you “Why”. You send it back it comes back right. That’s good customer service.

The way you speak to people is important. Especially if you think you're owed something. I'd bet my left nut that Randall wasn't the one that initiated the rude behavior lol.

Next time try swallowing your pride before calling a company, you might get better results.
Now you have one nut left. Care to wager again? Michael Randall lost it when I questioned numerous issues with one of his knives. He couldn't handle the truth that one of his blades was a poor excuse for a knife.
Swallow my pride for asking questions? Nope. It wasn't me that built an embarassing knife....his company did.

You are wrong. It’s none of your business “Why”. No company tells you “Why”. You send it back it comes back right. That’s good customer service.
Nope. Yes it is. Says who? What kind of companies do you deal with? Let me ask you this. Lets say you go out and buy a brand new Corvette. One month later the motor blows up. You are not gonna question Chevy as to WHY that happened? Or maybe you buy a pure breed dog puppy, and it dies a couple months later. You aren't gonna call the breeder and ask WHY? Like I've said numerous times...I don't trust the dealer, and didn't want to send it back. I figured I'd just sell it on down the road at a later date.

Nope. Yes it is. Says who? What kind of companies do you deal with? Let me ask you this. Lets say you go out and buy a brand new Corvette. One month later the motor blows up. You are not gonna question Chevy as to WHY that happened? Or maybe you buy a pure breed dog puppy, and it dies a couple months later. You aren't gonna call the breeder and ask WHY? Like I've said numerous times...I don't trust the dealer, and didn't want to send it back. I figured I'd just sell it on down the road at a later date.

In the case of the Vette...they're not going to be able to answer that question until they can examine the car, i.e., send it back.

You think Chevy will tell you what was wrong with the engine? Lol!

They’d give you a new engine and send you on your way.

You didn’t give Randall the chance to make it right. But you want to bash them. We all understand.

Glad you said "potentially" as when you get there, many are not ready to retire or want to. I really don't care what Scotty has to say any more. He should have sent it back to the Captain and got a refund..... end of story rather than bad mouthing Randall when his experience does not reflect 90%+ of the buyers and users of Randall knives.
Did you not see the part where the "Captain" sent my knife in the wrong wrapping paper, loosely wrapped in old newspaper, the sheath wrapped in nothing, and I never received a receipt, or a bill of sale. I don't trust that alleged captain. Oh.....and for the record I've never cared about what you have to say.

You Randall fan boys are boring me as there is no reasoning with you people. I'll never win this pissing match. Keep buying Randall knives, and when they come with flaws like mine had refer back to my original post. ;)

Yes zero. Why? Because his company built the knife that's why. Sending it back was not an option as I do not trust the dealer.
Answer me this. If you buy something.....anything that is hand made, and it comes with major flaws you are not gonna contact the maker? Spare me. All you guys on here know damn well that if you got a handmade knife from any maker and it came with obvious flaws you'd be burning up the makers phone line wanting to know why your knife is a mess.
If you weren't going to accept his fix, then why did you contact him?

You sound unhinged.

Randall did the best they could do. Stanaback is a major dealer, he probably has dozens, if not 100s of new and used Randalls going through his hands yearly. Randall has no idea what specific knife you got. Randall ships between 4000 - 5000 knives annually, so it's not like it would be easy to figure it out from a basic description either.

The best they could say is send it in or return for a refund.

You Randall fan boys are boring me as there is no reasoning with you people. I'll never win this pissing match. Keep buying Randall knives, and when they come with flaws like mine had refer back to my original post. ;)

Yeah, no. This still sounds like a YOU problem, not a Randall problem.

Did you not see the part where the "Captain" sent my knife in the wrong wrapping paper, loosely wrapped in old newspaper, the sheath wrapped in nothing, and I never received a receipt, or a bill of sale. I don't trust that alleged captain. Oh.....and for the record I've never cared about what you have to say.
Wrapped in the wrong paper......
4lAle1bt.jpg

You bought one knife that was never supposed to leave the factory in the first place from an apparently shady and unscrupulous dealer. You had the chance to send it back, why didn't you? Instead, you argued with the owner of the company about wanting to know why it was made the way it was. Why would you even care? Randall would have taken the knife back without question (that was the offer apparently) if you had not started a fight with the guy and refunded your money or replaced the knife. Then, instead of just returning the knife, you turned around did the same thing to the next owner of the knife. You knowingly sold a defective and substandard Randall to somebody for the same price as a knife that had no flaws. What does that say about you?
Not hand made....no more so than any other semi-production knife anyhow. Hand finished more like.
This is a hand made knife...made by one guy in his shop. He makes every part one piece at a time and assembles them into a knife.

wyBZO81h.jpg

This is a hand finished semi production knife, made the same as all the others pretty much, put together from standard parts by a craftsman in the Randall shop. Big difference....the quality is there but can't come close to the above knife that was hand made and hand finished by a single set of hands.

kMhCYT2h.jpg

When you have a shop full of people putting knives together its probably fairly easy for one or two employees to sneak out parts that have been rejected by the QC process and make a few lunchbox specials to sell to unscrupulous dealers or unknowing collectors. Its not at all surprising that this could happen and in no way should one questionable knife be used to condemn the whole of Randalls knifemaking history.

Wrapped in the wrong paper......
4lAle1bt.jpg

You bought one knife that was never supposed to leave the factory in the first place from an apparently shady and unscrupulous dealer. You had the chance to send it back, why didn't you? Instead, you argued with the owner of the company about wanting to know why it was made the way it was. Why would you even care? Randall would have taken the knife back without question (that was the offer apparently) if you had not started a fight with the guy and refunded your money or replaced the knife. Then, instead of just returning the knife, you turned around did the same thing to the next owner of the knife. You knowingly sold a defective and substandard Randall to somebody for the same price as a knife that had no flaws. What does that say about you?

Not hand made....no more so than any other semi-production knife anyhow. Hand finished more like.
This is a hand made knife...made by one guy in his shop. He makes every part one piece at a time and assembles them into a knife.

wyBZO81h.jpg

This is a hand finished semi production knife, made the same as all the others pretty much, put together from standard parts by a craftsman in the Randall shop. Big difference....the quality is there but can't come close to the above knife that was hand made and hand finished by a single set of hands.

kMhCYT2h.jpg

When you have a shop full of people putting knives together its probably fairly easy for one or two employees to sneak out parts that have been rejected by the QC process and make a few lunchbox specials to sell to unscrupulous dealers or unknowing collectors. Its not at all surprising that this could happen and in no way should one questionable knife be used to condemn the whole of Randalls knifemaking history.

Damn well said.

Just ordered my son’s graduation present. He’s 12 haha. But he’ll be presently surprised in six years when I hand him that Model 1-7.

On another note, the #14 grind model 12-9 is quite possibly the finest knife I’ve ever laid eyes on. But from the little I’ve read it seems like it’s just too much knife. As far as self defense goes (vs either man or beast) where would the model 12-9 rank? Obviously it’s no F-S dagger and it’s a lot longer and wider than what one would need (ie kidney shots, skinning a deer, putting mayonnaise on a sandwich etc). Is there an actual use for this knife or is it just really nice to look at? My guess is that if I can’t envision a use for it then I don’t really need it. Never stopped me before though.

Just ordered my son’s graduation present. He’s 12 haha. But he’ll be presently surprised in six years when I hand him that Model 1-7.

On another note, the #14 grind model 12-9 is quite possibly the finest knife I’ve ever laid eyes on. But from the little I’ve read it seems like it’s just too much knife. As far as self defense goes (vs either man or beast) where would the model 12-9 rank? Obviously it’s no F-S dagger and it’s a lot longer and wider than what one would need (ie kidney shots, skinning a deer, putting mayonnaise on a sandwich etc). Is there an actual use for this knife or is it just really nice to look at? My guess is that if I can’t envision a use for it then I don’t really need it. Never stopped me before though.

Too much knife? Nah. I think it's just about perfect for almost any task a knife is used for.

Your boy will be thrilled...one day!

Back