On Randall knives

Pipe dream? You amuse me. If you don't think beat up old Randall's can be found at garage sales, estate sales, and flea markets for pennies on the dollar you are sadly mistaken, and uninformed. Educate yourself. Do a little research, and see that these things are often being sold by people who have no idea what a Randall knife is. Especially one that is well used, beaten up, and has lots of patina. A classic case of being in the right place at the right time.

Educate myself? I ordered my first Randall when I was 17 back in 67. How may Randalls have you found at yard sales? Most people over value "Dad's custom knives" but almost everyone has heard of Randall.

Educate myself? I ordered my first Randall when I was 17 back in 67. How may Randalls have you found at yard sales? Most people over value "Dad's custom knives" but almost everyone has heard of Randall.
So what.
That's bullshit. Unless someone is big into handmade knives, combat knives, or is old enough to have been around in Randall's hey day no one knows what a Randall knife is.

Last edited:
Just FYI a Bo Randall made Bowie just sold yesterday on a popular website in Arizona for $22k. It sold on the first day of listing.

so clearly there is still a market for the older Randalls, at least.

I had never heard of Randall, but when I held my first one I knew it was special.

The 7 inch model 1 especially has a balance and liveliness that no other blade has. It’s almost intangible but it’s there.

Everyone should spend their money on what they want. Don’t want one don’t buy one. I don’t understand the animosity

I use tools daily and can feel quality when I hold it. Pliers wrenches screw drivers knives. The feeling is the same.

A quality tool makes you want to use it. A crappy tool may get the job done but you won’t enjoy it.

The wait list gets longer and longer, so I’d say Randall’s “hey day” is today.

Last edited:
Randall knives and their reputation will survive long after all of us are worm food. A great piece of cutlery history then and now.
My first Randall was a Model 1 which I got in 1965, preping for 'Nam. Still have it and it will go down under with me.
Rich

So what.
That's bullshit. Unless someone is big into handmade knives, combat knives, or is old enough to have been around in Randall's hey day no one knows what a Randall knife is.

Please refrain from using coarse language where it isn't allowed.

Yessir. I DO feel that I should make a final addendum on my post above, in that I was a bit hasty and overlooked one major reason why Randall still has its fans: that classic design language. For many folks (age being irrelevant), those designs and materials call back to a simpler time, and as a general and generally huge fan of knives, I can understand and respect that reasoning. I can tell you that I personally would not pay what Randalls cost either from a dealer, or on secondary, but that shouldn't discount them as being worthless objectively. I'm sure there are countless folks out there who will only carry a Randall-Made knife, and be well served by it. I went back and read my post, and felt it came off as a bit too dismissive. They were industry titans at one time, and that should be respected.
I agree with you on both of your posts. The designs are definitely 50-70 years old if not older and there is a place for that for some. I have some vintage blades that are that old and older but I personally wouldn't pay the asking price for a Randall. Based on the design and materials used it seems way over priced for what it is.

In other news... all this talk of these beautiful knives has pushed me over the edge. Randall 1-7 ordered.

I have come close a time or two. The only thing that has stopped me is that they are more collectors items than tools at this point. I like knives I can take in the woods and use hard without feeling guilty.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...:)

OnI8mho.jpg

In other news... all this talk of these beautiful knives has pushed me over the edge. Randall 1-7 ordered.
Congratulations, Ruari Ruari , I hope the wait is not overly long.

I see you hail from good old England, just out of curiosity, what is the Randall dealer situation in Europe? Or did you order from the US?

In any case, welcome to the madness :)

Congratulations, Ruari Ruari , I hope the wait is not overly long.

I see you hail from good old England, just out of curiosity, what is the Randall dealer situation in Europe? Or did you order from the US?

In any case, welcome to the madness :)
Thanks, I have actually been contemplating one of these knives for a few years now. This thread has really illustrated to me that it should be done!
Knives in the UK are not as readily available and are typically the same cost in £ (or more) as they are in $. If it costs $500, it will be £500 (approx $640!)
Taking all of that into account, I have purchased one from a US source, which means it works out cheaper, even with shipping and import.
Should be a few weeks to months, I wasn't prepared to wait years! Looking forward to having a piece of knife lore.

I had never heard of Randall, but when I held my first one I knew it was special.

The 7 inch model 1 especially has a balance and liveliness that no other blade has. It’s almost intangible but it’s there.

I agree. Even when you compare it to the multiple clones that have been made of it by so many other companies like Cold Steel, Bark River, Blackjack, etc. the Randall has a special intangible to it that makes it stand out. I have bought and sold many lesser knives but I still have a late 70's model 1-7 and model 16 and a more recent 1-8. I won't sell the older ones.

I agree. Even when you compare it to the multiple clones that have been made of it by so many other companies like Cold Steel, Bark River, Blackjack, etc. the Randall has a special intangible to it that makes it stand out. I have bought and sold many lesser knives but I still have a late 70's model 1-7 and model 16 and a more recent 1-8. I won't sell the older ones.

I think that is because you are holding a piece of history when you hold a Randall knife. On the rare occasions I have been allowed to handle one, I immediately think of young men going to war spending what was probably a week or 2 of their wages on a Randall to take with them.
Plus Guy Clark doesn’t write a song about just any knife.

Back