On Strike

People please the entire media is the devil! there is one that is said to be fair and you choose to pick on the only one. Like i said I dont agree with half of what the media say's and even much less of what either politician say's but there are things that are important to me and i am uninfluenced by any persons beliefs i just agree or disagree. And that is how i vote... Learn to think for yourself!

There's a lot of this going on.....the owners run the company into the ground, provoke a strike and then blame the workers.

In most cases their refusal to invest capital in the operation proves they intended all along to file for bankruptcy and walk away with the money they made off the labor of the employees for many years.

I'll never understand why they are allowed to do it and why people are naive enough to fall for it and blame the workers.

Rosconey you have some strong points.I am think all sides are going to lose. Very sad day ror all.

With all the talk about layoffs and strikes and unfair pay it has me prompted to share some personal experiences concerning illegal's and their impact on the common worker. For years i did subcontract jobs and was able to charge in excess of $2,500.00 for 10 hour jobs untill other companies saw an opportunity with illegal immigrant's and began to hire them and pay them $200.00 for the same ten hour job! they could take the contract's and still profit a pretty penny by paying these illegals. They were from France, poland,russia and yes mexico. It forced me into working triple hours and dealing with many more contracts just to make the same amount of money and it also cost many jobs as contracts having two people were cut down to one with little more pay. The entire time i did my part to make sure they were caught in the act of this illegal slavery which they were, but it changed the way business was conducted in this manner as no one is willing to pay old prices for what they were getting from the illegal's for much less. About two years ago i did a demo at CNN in Atlanta and the place was overrun with mexicans doing cleanup and gopher jobs and the only english they could speak was No Speak English! Witnessed similiar at Georgia power. And it is much worse in Alabama where there are only two INS agents and i believe Ga. has 13? There are cities overrun with illegal's from mexico and they seem to find jobs paying good money. I do believe that it is true that there are many Americans that do not want these jobs though some of them pay quite well, but i can gaurantee you that there are at least just as many Americans that do want them!

http://news10now.com/content/all_news/central_new_york/?SecID=86&ArID=68409

Camillus Cutlery strike continues
Updated: 6/2/2006 6:37 PM
By: Staff

The strike at Camillus Cutlery continues for another week. Seventy-eight union workers began striking in mid-May after rejecting a contract offer from the company.

Workers say the company wants to cut wages, paid vacations and holidays and make employees pay more for health insurance. Camillus Cutlery says the cuts are necessary because the company faces a severe financial crisis.

Union workers say they are frustrated with the negotiation process.

Camillus Cutlery strike continues

The strike at Camillus Cutlery continues for another week. Seventy-eight union workers began striking in mid-May after rejecting a contract offer from the company.

"Absolutely nothing has changed, the company refuses to negotiate with us at all, with the union. They refuse to talk to the committees, so nothing has changed," said striking worker Hazel Seeber

The union turned down a contract proposed last month.

The factory remains open and supervisors are filling in for the missing workers.

std11670...I was an LEO and have now manged commerical real estate in NYC.....pricing like yours - $2,500 for 10 hours work is what has hepled create the problem today. If I need a Otis or Schindler elevator repairman for elevators it is billed at $275 an hour ??? Electicans go for $225 per hour......GREED !!! Pricing like this has forced management to look elsewhere. We are all living your puinshment for over pricing work for years......

UPDATE!

No news! The company refuses to sit down with the union and negotiate. Word has it that replacement workers will be brought in Monday morning.

Rumors are that the bank is looking for a broker to sell the company and reopen it under a new name. That would mean, at the very least, it would be non-union, lower wages and benefits. A reduced workforce would be definite. Many customers will find other suppliers. That, we understand, has already begun.

I was afraid of this. So how does the union plan to help the dislocated workers? Will they continue to offer strike benefits, help them find other jobs with comparable pay and benefits, and relocate? Will they "allow" the workers who choose such to the option of dropping out of the union and taking new positions in the reorganized company? Will unemployment benefits apply, or will it be considered a quit or firing for just cause?

I really don't understand how the union really expected any other outcome, or did they?

Codger

Codger, the workers really had no other option.

Most of them probably hoped for a miracle settlement, unlikely as that was.

Now they will try to find other jobs or start their own businesses.

They are not alone.....this is happening to people all over the country every day.

But.....if that's the way this goes down, I'll never buy anything made by Camillus again (no matter what they change their name to).

tom19176 said:
std11670...I was an LEO and have now manged commerical real estate in NYC.....pricing like yours - $2,500 for 10 hours work is what has hepled create the problem today. If I need a Otis or Schindler elevator repairman for elevators it is billed at $275 an hour ??? Electicans go for $225 per hour......GREED !!! Pricing like this has forced management to look elsewhere. We are all living your puinshment for over pricing work for years......
YOU ARE WRONG! My pricing included six American workers on each job! Not two illegals trying to do the work and then taking their $200.00 straight to western union and sending it back to their country! Who do you support? The american worker and the American economy or would you rather save some money and get unexperienced workers and support a foreign economy while putting americans out of work in the process? People are blindly doing this when they buy imports which i am also guilty of DARNIT'! I have a few too!!! And is that not one of the reasons -the main reason camillus workers are on strike? Not enough money! If these companies have the money to pay then they are the greedy ones when they elect to support illegal aliens and foreign economies just to pocket extra money! The prices were very conservative when dealing with smaller companies, while larger companies paid even more but they all were supplied with genuine american labor.

I'm going to report to the mods that last post of yours Knifemaker.

You should not post management's e-mail address and encourage unsolicited e-mails from the public. That is pretty much asking people here to perform a denial-of-service attack for you, against the management of Camillius.

Not cool and probably not even legal.

Jax

reminds me of the time gomer was yelling at barny fife "citizens arrest,
citizens arrest..." i had to laugh

GlassJax said:
I'm going to report to the mods that last post of yours Knifemaker.

You should not post management's e-mail address and encourage unsolicited e-mails from the public. That is pretty much asking people here to perform a denial-of-service attack for you, against the management of Camillius.

Not cool and probably not even legal.

Jax

JFC! Who do you think they want to sell to? Non members of the public :jerkit:

GlassJax,
If you read my post, I said "Whether you are for or against what is going on at Camillus". My goal was to let Camillus know that you care about Camillus Cutlery and the knives we produce. Nobody here or anywhere, I presume, wants to see another American manufacturer go down the tubes.

Mods,
If you deem it necessary to delete my previous post, I understand and apologize. No harm intended.

Thanks!

Then for fair exposure, since everyone here seems to be left-wing leaning types, please post the union president's e-mail, so I may correspond directly with him.

It's the union killing the company, IMHO, not management.

Jax

Back