On Strike

Unfortunately when its in the banks hands it is no longer about workers, an american product or anything that means anything to the average person. Its simply dollars and cents. They want there money and if it means selling or auctioning off the company they will do what's in their best interest. Does anyone know if there is someone working in house from the bank, that would not be a good sign. In the case of Schrade, the bank was Wachovia, and everybody knows what the end result was there. Schrade died with a large backlog of orders and fairly modern equipment. They also had a name for themselves in the market. All that made them more desirable to be pieced off at auction. Maybe the condition of the building and equipment at Camillus will favor a sale at least that would keep the company alive to some extent. I'm sure many of the companies that were interested in Schrade are still out there and possibly interested. Good Luck to all, both production workers and management, your in this together and you may hold the key to keeping the company alive. While a sale is difficult with a union, especially one on strike, a company without skilled workers is even more difficult to sell.

The building and machinery is greatly outdated (with the exception of maybe 4-5 pieces of equipment) and has little value, relatively speaking. If someone was to buy Camillus Cutlery, it is my understanding that a new owner would not be obligated to continuing on with a union. They could rehire former union employees at whatever wage was agreed to.

So, if you have a losing hand, how do you pull an ace out of the deck? Any ideas?

Answer: You don't. Don't kid yourself into thinking that there is any possibility of a happy ending here. There is none. The closest you'll get is when one person squeezes the last dollar possible out of Camillus and hauls his butt back to Florida never to be heard from again.

knifeworker said:
The building and machinery is greatly outdated (with the exception of maybe 4-5 pieces of equipment) and has little value, relatively speaking. If someone was to buy Camillus Cutlery, it is my understanding that a new owner would not be obligated to continuing on with a union. They could rehire former union employees at whatever wage was agreed to.

Don't kid yourself into thinking that there is any possibility of a happy ending here. There is none. The closest you'll get is when one person squeezes the last dollar possible out of Camillus and hauls his butt back to Florida never to be heard from again.

The information is incorrect. The system is stacked towards the union. If someone buys the company, they get the union. If someone buys pieces of the company, start a new company and hires the old workers.....they get the union, whether the workers want them or not.

there is no happy ending, but it doesn have to be a disaster. When a situation gets this far the bank is in control. The strikers are wasting their time picketing the company....if the company is broke, the company has no choice; the bank calls the shots. The best thing for the striking workers to do is to go picket Bank of America and get some attention there. There is always a workable solution, if the bank is willing to listen.

HunterH,

No news! Wish I had some news for you. Sorry. We did have a rally support picnic this week with food and beverages and money donated by other unions and people who care about us. To those, we say thank you!

Knifeintheheart,

In regards to the union being carried over to a new owner, that's definitely not my understanding of the matter so I guess its a draw. Keep in mind, this is an unfair labor practice strike. The union is picketing right where we should be. Furthermore, I doubt the bank instructed management what to pay their employees. I will agree with you that there is always a workable solution. But to have that, both sides need to talk. Needless to say, that is not happening. Its also my understanding that the federal mediator tried to talk to management and they wouldn't even talk to him.

[Rant mode on] Then you have a "non-union employee" writing a letter to the editor of the local newspaper who hasn't been with the company more than two years and doesn't have a clue as to the big picture but feels free to spout off "facts" that she has heard so they must be true. Some of us have been employed more years by Camillus than she has cups of coffee a day.[Rant mode off]

Knifeintheheart,

In regards to the union being carried over to a new owner, that's definitely not my understanding of the matter so I guess its a draw. Keep in mind, this is an unfair labor practice strike.

I am sorry. I thought this was about pay and benefits. What were the unfair labor practices that you are alluding to?

I've NEVER heard anything good of Bank of America. Due to friends and acquaintances' bad experiences with them over the years I have always avoided them.

To all that care. It looks like Camillus Cutlery will not survive too much longer. All of us gave a lot of good years, with a lot of great people. Management and co-workers alike. Sorry to see a company with so much history come to a end. In many ways a big chunk of our lives will disappear. I took pride in sharpening the knives that many of you bought. I became a part of what Camillus Cutlery stood for when I started in 1977. The best of the best in all that I could do in making a quality knife. I won't be writing again, good luck to all.
HunterH, Vickie Hinds
Camillus Cutlery

Considering that the strike has continued now for a month and ten days, I can hardly say I am surprised at your statement. There are echos there from the sentiments I have received over the past few years from the former Schrade employees. I wish you the best in the future, and hope, if this is indeed the outcome, you and your friends find the transition bearable. I've heard it said that God does not close a door without opening another, but sometimes he makes us wait in the hall.

Codger

...but sometimes he makes us wait in the hall.

I love it!

Unfortunately, I believe Vickie may be correct. All signs and word from the "inside" is not good. No plans, no goals, just waiting for the fateful day. If it does happen, at least we can start to move on with our lives. When you work with people for close to 30 years, you become very close. Sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes not. However, in the end, you still shared over half your life with the same people and it is a life that is tragically coming to an end. Those with far less time may not understand this but believe me it does leave an empty feeling inside. In the small "family" we had, everyone touched everyone else's lives in some way. When all is said and done and the signs are put away and everybody goes their separate ways, the memories of the good times we shared will remain.

Vickie, if you read this, take care and I wish you the best. Remember, there is life after Camillus.

I am just so very sorry to see all of this happening. I am a glass-half-full type person, so I am hopeful for all.. the company, you employees, the management, we customers... that things might work out.

My best wishes to all of you.

Phil

part of my own affection for and interest in Camillus knives is that I carried one in wartime; several generations of military men can say that. My steel companion was a jet pilot's model.

Probably get tired of hearing this, but what's the current strike situation?

I too hope that things work out. I carried a Camillus all through Vietnam, the military electrician's knife. It was issued to aviation mechanics in the Marine Corps. I still have it, and can still shave with it. Great knife!

I hope things turn around for Camillus, no matter how bad it looks now. As someone once said, "The ballgame isn't over until the fat lady sings."

Best wishes to the workers of Camillus and to the company,
Dale

management is still working. One engineer let go, financial advisor resigned. Company lost Cold Steel customer. Lost mooremaker, case, etc. Not much left although they have about 10 temps working.
Strikers will be recieving unemployment next week. Many want to move on with their lives. Strikers are sick of waiting for things to happen! Lots of rumors in the air but not many facts!!!!! Company may have only foreign products. Owners themselves probably don't know what they want!!!!
Nice to know that there are others that are still interested and would like to give you some good news, but so far there has been none. There has been no negotiations between company and union. Probably won't be any. The bank holds the lives of the owners and strikers in the hands. Strikers lack confidence with all those involved.

Well, if everything I hear is true, the bank will take over Camillus Cutlery this week. That could be good or it could be the end. All depends on what direction and how much money the bank is willing to put on the line. Looks like the clock is ticking. Wish us luck!

I do wish all of you the best of luck.
Thanks to the internet, I've been following things in your local paper.
Phil

Hey knifeworker how ya doin???? I went to a job fair today at Hand held products in Skaneateles. They make scanners for bar codes. Talk about night and day between the two companies!!! The building has airconditioning, fitness room, and is so clean that I had to remind myself that this was a factory.If I had to go back, this is definitely a place to be. I had a interview and tour. A free t-shirt and stress ball. They definitely act like the employee is really important. They have three shifts. You can go online to check it out at www.handheld.com
Though you may want to talk to me in person for some important info first.
I hope things work out well for you also.

In the most recent Blade there were 2 articles about the Camillus factory and the strike.

Having read this thread the version the authors presented in Blade seemed very one-sided.
They blamed the union for the current situation while admitting the impact of the cheap foreign competition too. Nothing was said about the banks or the lack of modernizing the equipment.
They also praised the CEO and hoped the company will survive.
Of course, Schrade "survived " too, isn't it?
There are still knives made labeled "Schrade", isn't it?:grumpy:

It is sad.:(

Back