Old thread, new forum - A new place to post random ideas.

That is perfect. That dye job looks beautiful. I can never get that even of a dye job.

Not to keep posting the same pics, but this photo was taken in doors in the light tent, the previous one was taken out doors. So far the trick for me was to keep the tent out of direct sun light a that eliminated almost all of the ceiling reflections from the light tent. This photo was also taken with no additional light just in a shady spot on an inclosed three season room. I think the quality of the photo is getting to be pretty close to the out door photos. The blade appears less reflective and less blue from the ski compared to the out side photos. And, yes, John I have been fooling around a bit with fluorescent lighting similar to what Coop recommended in his photography sticky. I would clime you guys to look at these last two photos and compare them and let me know what you think. If any of you have any good ideas I'm all ears.

IMG_0246.jpg IMG_2334.jpg

Last edited:
The dye job is a bit blotchy Tim, I let the sheath dry for a few days before dying it that may have been part of the problem. A leather guru in the sheath forum ( I can't remember who ) said saddle tan was one of the hardest colors to get a clear finish on that may be part of it also. I think I'm going to take a small piece of the same leather and moisten it with some water first a little then see if I can get a better more uniform dye job. Although I don't mind some darker antiqued looking spots on either though. If I come up with some better results I'll post them.

Wow Scott!!! :eek: That is an amazing package right there!!! :cool: :thumbup: Someone's going to be a very lucky duck!!! :D I love how that turned out!

Not to keep posting the same pics, but this photo was taken in doors in the light tent, the previous one was taken out doors. So far the trick for me was to keep the tent out of direct sun light a that eliminated almost all of the ceiling reflections from the light tent. This photo was also taken with no additional light just in a shady spot on an inclosed three season room. I think the quality of the photo is getting to be pretty close to the out door photos. The blade appears less reflective and less blue from the ski compared to the out side photos. And, yes, John I have been fooling around a bit with fluorescent lighting similar to what Coop recommended in his photography sticky. I would clime you guys to look at these last two photos and compare them and let me know what you think. If any of you have any good ideas I'm all ears.

That is up there with the best that I've seen. Absolutely freaking gorgeous and that polish is simply amazing.

I'm a big fan of the different tones on the leather it adds to the overall package. That color is very difficult for me I always seem to end up with streaks and then I usually get it to dark when I try to correct them. My wife has an airbrush that I have thought about trying sometime. I've seen a lot of really nice dye jobs done with them.

Scott,
Both look good.
Now that you have them together, I like the top one better, seems the colors show better, and you don't have the blue sky reflection on the blade that shows on the bottom one. The leather sheath looks more natural in the top one. But I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Just got the sheath done for this knife last night it's western diamond back rattler, the sheath also has a kydex panel in the back to prevent cutting through the sheath by accident. The sheath is also lined with pig skin to prevent scratches on the blade. The Bowie I think I post this here before but anyhow at the risk of being redundant here it is again. It's blade is CPM 154 and is 9" long. And before I forget let me know what you think of the new back ground, if you think it's too busy or what not.

IMG_2334.jpg

Last edited:
Scott that's gorgeous.

As far as your question about the background goes. I love me some maps, but I think the old background made everything pop more. It might just be that the two circles draw my eye away or bisect the knife too much. Although, that knife could be sitting on a crime scene photo and still look incredible!:thumbup:

I like the look of the stone tile also but I noticed the knives were getting small scratches from the tile, and the tile wasn't always big enough to take the photos on. I have to take photos at more acute angles sometimes to get the pics to look good without reflections, but one thing is for sure the map is easier to carry inside and outside than a bunch of tiles if I want to do indoor and outdoor photos.lol

The more I look at it the map may be a little too green.

Gorgeous knife and sheath!! I keep staring at the sheath, just memorized by it, snakeskin just sets it off!

Last edited:
Scott everything just screams Perfection! That is an absolutely gorgeous combination, great work.

I completely missed your post about the stone tile Scott. Next time your in a Home Depot type store, look at the vinyl floor tiles. I think you can get them in 18" squares and a lot of them have a nice stone finish. Here's a picture of the ones I covered my workbench with (which they work great for by the way), they were on sale for around a buck. Might be something to look into. I've got to go to the big city today, I might stop by and have a look again.

A quick cellphone pick under crappy fluorescent lights with an awl to show contrast. In the right light they can look nice and warm.

This was my grandpa's awl, whenever I use it I think of the joke "One day Son, this Awl will be yours":D

Vinyl tiles, I never thought of that, I'll have to take a look.

"Wife asked for a new vinyl floor, I don't think this is what she expected"
Funny_Memes_wife-asked-for-a-new-vinyl-floor_16207.jpeg

Vinyl tiles, I never thought of that, I'll have to take a look.
I picked up a couple of 18" at Home Depot, $2.90 a piece. This one is pretty dark but it makes lighter colored handles pop. Now if I can get all the reflections out of my lightbox. Cell phone pic.

(Shipping Thursday Mack)

This lighter one seems to work better for darker stuff.

Last edited:
I picked up a couple of 18" at Home Depot, $2.90 a piece. This one is pretty dark but it makes lighter colored handles pop. Now if I can get all the reflections out of my lightbox. Cell phone pic.

(Shipping Thursday Mack)

This lighter one seems to work better for darker stuff.

I was beginning to wonder if anyone was home. :)
That grain is insane.
no hurry. Do I have your paypal info?

(responded to you guys over in the Drawing Board thread, I don't want to soil Scott's workbench)
Great thread by the way Scott, keep the pictures coming!:thumbup:

Back