Once again I designed a knife without knowing what it’s good for

redsquid2

Красивы Поросенок
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I sit with pencil and paper and I draw knife profiles and sometimes I just draw what I think looks cool but I don’t think about what it would be good for. Case in point is in the picture below. Blade is 3 3/8" long and .101" thick.

2mtQdys
51510780922_7f1b3a9d49_b.jpg

What do you think? Now that it is ready for a handle if it had a handle what would you do with it?

Last edited:
Its ok. God designed me not knowing what I'm good for either. My ex-wife would tell you I'm good for nothing, as would my father.
😂😂😂

I had a vague idea that it would be used for fishing, but it certainly does not look like a fillet knife.

How about a shank for a high profile prisoner?

I like the profile, lots of belly.

I would reconsider your choice of guard however. A knife that small lends itself to getting your hand close to the blade, and that guard would prevent "pinching up" towards the ricasso with your thumb and forefinger .

Looks like you're setting up for a through-tang handle, so I would suggest something that tapers down significantly towards the heel of the blade.

I like the profile, lots of belly.

I would reconsider your choice of guard however. A knife that small lends itself to getting your hand close to the blade, and that guard would prevent "pinching up" towards the ricasso with your thumb and forefinger .

Looks like you're setting up for a through-tang handle, so I would suggest something that tapers down significantly towards the heel of the blade.
Thank you for your feedback. Are you talking about a guard that is longer from top to bottom, or maybe narrower as you look at it from the top. I could make a kind of notch on the sides of the handle, right behind the guard. I just hate to toss the guard, since it took me so long to make it.

Last edited:
Yup, small Puuko for sure, reduce the size of the guard or narrow it a little, but do keep it. I was thinking a good handle In a traditional Scandinavian style that would be comfortable for carving. Maybe like a Helle handle.

Last edited:
I sit with pencil and paper and I draw knife profiles and sometimes I just draw what I think looks cool but I don’t think about what it would be good for. Case in point is in the picture below. Blade is 3 3/8" long and .101" thick.

2mtQdys
51510780922_7f1b3a9d49_b.jpg

What do you think? Now that it is ready for a handle if it had a handle what would you do with it?
As long as it does cutty cutty things and pokey pokey things, I’d say it’s a successful knife. Looks like a very handy pocket fixed blade.

Back