Once and for all: Respirators that pass the seal tests with beards?

I have a short trimmed beard and use a 3M 6900 Full Face Large. It passed the tests.

Same here. Works great.

Also, for simple particulate use I use a 3M N95 mask at work which passes the OSHA test with my short trimmed beard. I don't think I'd use one in the shop though, just for comfort's sake...

I am interested in what tests you use to conclude that a mask is safe. I work in a research area where my guys have to process equipment that can carry pathogens or have carcinogens/ debris, etc...

Every year they have to go to be fit tested for the appropriate mask. We are told that the guys have to have everything completely shaved that will touch the perimeter of the mask or they will not pass and it is not safe.

They use a dummy mask with a nipple on the end and it is hooked to a machine by airline tubing. The machine puts off a saline vapor and the entire unit is hooked to a computer.

There are multiple tests that they have to take IE:Turning head side to side, up and down,leaning forward, speaking, etc... Each of the tests lasts a few minutes and you get a pass or fail for each section.

I have seen guys go through 5 or 6 masks until one passes the testing regime. Funny, there is a metal guard at the nose area of the mask and it is very specific how you mold it to the face. It needs to be done from either side of the nos and not pinched from the top or the seal is broken.

Sorry to ramble I was just curious as to how you guys determine proper fit. It seems to be quite a science in my industry.

In the Military we do the same test. We are required to be shaven at all times. But other than for grinding its for chemical mask fit, which if the seal is bad then you know what. Probably not because a beard wouldn't work but for the best and more reliable ability to seal properly.

Another necropost I am still confused as to what the problem might be? I mean how many seals actually have beards? I guess a walrus has a moustache..../.

Opened up shop talk and first thing was this post. I opened it out of curiosity and never even looked at the dates at first. I will gladly be the seal otter walrus ass clown of the day.

This is seriously cracking me up...........................

There is probably a reason firefighters don't have beards but I could be wrong (it happened once before:) If you are serious about getting a good seal - quickly, easily and under all facial muscle contortions, get a razor and use it regularly.

That is the only TRUE way to get a 100% seal. At work beards are forbidden. We go through extensive seal testing every time our masks are due for exchange.

But are you allowed to keep a play beard at home?
That is the only TRUE way to get a 100% seal. At work beards are forbidden. We go through extensive seal testing every time our masks are due for exchange.

I worked in a refinery where it was mandatory to shave for emergency respirator use. We had a painter who had problems with rules like that so he shaved a sealing surface and grew this massive neck beard. It looked horrible but I had total respect. So it's a option

Back