Once more... Mauls

I wish they sold basket weaves in the Pro line. I don't do any Sheridan carving, just stamping, so I have little use for stops and veiners and whatnot.

While this is probably a pointless question given our distance apart (unless they have a curriculum?), have you ever taken one of their classes Dwayne? I think some good classes would be an excellent idea for myself. I've got a couple of basics down, but can always learn new things.

Yes and yes! Every now and then an old timer gives up his time to teach a little and it is pure gold! Get to know your local manager and badger him until he asks a few of those really experienced leather workers to give a little of their knowledge over.

Its quickly becoming a lost art outside our sheath making world. It seems wide spread till you try to find someone like minded locally. Even here its slim to none in a city over a million strong. Most are very choosy who they pass it on to, and that is a sad thing. Yes, I met one on a chance visit for supplies, when he heard I was a pro as well he shut down till I left. Pissed doesn't even begin to describe it.

A few years ago I went to the estate sale of a man who had been a leather worker professionally for seventy some odd years and NEVER taught anyone, even his kids, what he had gained. Lost forever. What was left of his shop after the buzzards had flown in was still awesome! Most hand built, both shop and tools, separate rooms for each stage, and not a spot in there without leather dust on it!!! :p If it was not in a bad part of town I'd made an offer right there on the spot.

I think Dwayne pretty well nailed it. The true Old timers (of which a couple of us are rapidly becoming, huh Dwayne?:D) are the place to get information, instruction and advice based on years of experience. While I have never attended one of the LF/Tandy classes, my impression is that they might be able to teach you to be a hobbyist…….MAYBE.

That's the main reason I have those DVDs out there, so if someone is interested in the way I do certain things, there is a source that will outlive me.

As always, I'm ready willing and (able?) to share what I do know with anyone who is truly interested and motivated.

Paul

Yours is one source I'll never worry about losing. Ever. And its a comfort to know that. Chuck Burrows being the other that has done a really nice tutorial on DVD.

Others, not so much. Al Stohlman is one I wished we had this technology when him an Ann were at their prime. All we have is the written word and patterns that Ann published after Al's death. But. I have a small library of his work, and that of a few others in the field of sheath and holster making. Never discount the custom holster maker as a great source of information on fitting and finish. :D

I wish I lived near you Dwayne. I have next to no photography skill, but I know you've given thought to filming an instructional. Really wish I could help you with that because I cherish what you bring to the table.

Honestly, I feel like us upstarts are really blessed to live in a time where we can learn from you guys.

I wish I lived near you Dwayne. I have next to no photography skill, but I know you've given thought to filming an instructional. Really wish I could help you with that because I cherish what you bring to the table.

Honestly, I feel like us upstarts are really blessed to live in a time where we can learn from you guys.

This. I have said this many times. I think in this age, especially in regards to the knife making, it is extremely easy to find information on how to do something. The hard part is sifting through all the information to weed out the good from the bad.

Thank you, for all of you that are so freely giving of your experience.
Chris

I am very very happy to hear that the work and time of those that are willing and able to help are appreciated. :D Most of us dont have a whole lot of free time, that makes it all the more valuable and when its appreciated it means the world.

Anthony, It would be a hoot to have you here! A student who questions everything is both frustrating and gratifying. :) I had one of those last year in one of my classes, she drove me up one wall and down the other with constant challenges and questions. But the most memorable student ever, and one who blew me away with her last two projects. Simply stunning work out of one who only scribbled and never finished anything. I hope I get at least one like her this coming year. Your one of those that learns like her. Its a good thing. Though I wanted to scratch my eyes out on occasion. :p

Drove me up the wall, and down the other.

I haven't heard that since my mom last said it. Good memories. :)

I suspect I *might* drive you a little crazy, but truly I'm only interested in learning and helping where I can. Just by being a regular here I think it shows that we all share a common thread. I don't want to ever stop learning, and I'll never stop giving. I like to think my last name fitting. ;)

This is very interesting. I think some of the reluctance to share info in days past was a $$ thing. If I make my living at this craft (whatever craft that might be) and I give away my secrets than why am I needed? I have read of some of the old time California bit and spur makers covering their workbench when there were shop visitors. It was common with the horse too. You rode to the other side of the hill if you had to school your horse, so that others could not see what what you were doing. Even today I've read of Eddi Van Halen and Eric Clapton turning their back to the audience for some particularly artful riff. I'm glad we live in a time where this information is shared. It was dying out. Interestingly visitors to my shop seem to fall into two camps. Now not all visitors are fellow crasftmen like Anthony, most are customers. But it runs about 50/50 Why don't you make how to videos? to You don't want to give your secrets away.

Back