once more: relative sizes of some SOG fixed blade knives

OK, I added the SOG Bowie and the SOG Recondo into the picture. There are two pictures: different lighting gives an interesting look. (As things go, just yesterday I re-blued the Tigershark, so it will look a bit darker than in the post from a few days ago).

Bobby_B will once again work his IT magic..... he is the man with the time, tools, talent, training, and technology.

WARNING WARNING WARNING !!
the Recondo has been much modified !! If you have a weak heart or are wearing a Pacemaker and would be offended by home-brew modifications to a SOG knife, well, you are hereby and herewith and forewith forewarned !!

SOGs_more_1.jpg

SOGs_more_2.jpg

Cheers and Enjoy !!

Carl

Where are the pictures? Did you put them in the other thread?

patience ..... Bobby_B will incorporate the pictures soon......

Cheers,

Carl

Damn man. You got my eyes all ready for some awesome pictures and now theres no pictures yet. Come on hunter. Can't be teasin' us like this. hahaha.

Damn man. You got my eyes all ready for some awesome pictures and now theres no pictures yet. Come on hunter. Can't be teasin' us like this. hahaha.
See... they were there the whole time!!!
You just didn't look hard enough...

Seeing those blades with scratches and wearing makes me happy in my "special no no places." Have you had any trouble with the factory edge on the Recon Bowie as far as sharpening goes? The edge on mine has a good angle for the bottom half of the blade and then turns to almost a 60 degree angle from the middle all the way to the tip. I fear I'm going to have to redo the entire edge on the top half so that it will sharpen well. I use the Sharpmaker set and that angle doesn't do a damn thing on that blade. I love the knife, but it looks like sharpening it will be a serious pain in the a$$.

Dylside,

all my knives are users .... with a bit of abuse on occasion.

Re. the Recon Bowie: I use a $5 Smith's plastic thingie sharpener to get the edge, then use a mousepad strop to get the razor edge on my Recon Bowie.
The Smith's will reprofile the edge to whatever angle the little carbide cutters are set, but it works for me, it gets hair-popping sharp from tip to guard. That SK-5 steel is my favorite !!

Cheers,

Carl

New Pig: You have me beat on our SOG collection. I just picked up a Vulcan the other day. I like it. Pictures look good.

WARNING WARNING WARNING !!
the Recondo has been much modified !! If you have a weak heart or are wearing a Pacemaker and would be offended by home-brew modifications to a SOG knife, well, you are hereby and herewith and forewith forewarned !!

Cheers and Enjoy !!

Carl

I don't have a problem with "home-brew modifications" to an SOG:eek:. One of the things I like about these knives. Anyway, my latest Scuba/Demo. No, the photo isn't out of focus. That is the finish on that blade along with narrowing down the spear tip, smoothing the spine lines, and sharpening the top false edge down a little more. Click on the photo to see image actual size. BTW, I used your suggestions on using Neatsfoot oil on the handle.

http://www.myculpeper.com/photos/sd1.jpg

Carl,

Is this the "plastic thingy" you used to profile the Recon? What kind of strop do you use. I have plenty of sharpening stuff and I'm ok with all of it, but I'm always checking out other people's methods to see if anyone has a better system for certain steels. I can get my Recon really close to hair popping, but just not quite there. I fear the reprofile is going to be necessary. I had one of those Smith sharpeners somewhere. I'm just going to have to find it.

SAJIFFS.jpg

dylside,

yep, that's it !! I clamp it in the vise, cutters "up," then drag the knife edge across the cutters. That way I have a good solid grip on the knife, and can press hard downward on the knife edge to really make the cutters cut.
After dragging the knife edge through there a few times, I can feel the Smith's cutters really cutting all along the knife edge.

My strop: I have a mouse pad with a piece of leather glued to it (the leather is fuzzy side up). The mouse pad is duct-taped to the edge of my workbench. I rub lots of green microfine honing compound into the leather, then wail away to bring the edge to incredible sharpness. I use lots of the green stuff.
http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=fd23814ece8e943b0f39ca163252180a&Screen=PROD&Store_Code=toolshop&Product_Code=MS-GREENHN&Category_Code=TFA

I am seriously and severely sharpening-challenged, yet the above system/technique gets the job done very well for almost all my SOG's (not the BG-42 steel SOG's), my O-1 steel Randall, my many Kabar's, and my O-1 steel Hankins knives. Oh, and my Cold Steel Trailmaster.

Cheers,

Carl

dylside,

I just used the above setup this very afternoon to sharpen my "new" WWII-era Robeson-Shuredge USN Mark II USN (which happens to look just like a Kabar). There are now large patches of de-forested forearm typing this note.

Cheers,

Carl

Back