One and Done

As of now, three suits me well. I have one that I grab for each occasion. Going to work? Grab the RAT. Nice dinner with the wife? Opinel. No need to think about those choices. But say it's the weekend and I'm running errands? Ahhh, that's where the EDC choice remains. I actually have sold my collection off already, and right now that void is being filled by a good ol' SAK. But as capable as the SAK is, I still want a more robust locking blade, a real workhorse.

No fixed blades for me. That would be my preference, for sure, but legally I am restricted to folders.

You can hardly go wrong with any Spyderco in the 2.8”-3.2” blade size. Large enough for most things but still lots of control. I have a Para 3 in S35VN and it would not be a bad one knife choice. It andvand a Para 2 also in S35VN are my EDC. The Native 5 blade shape looks even more ideal to me. The Delica has proven popular over decades.

The handle shape and lock type may be deciding factors that narrow your search. While I like the Para 3 compression lock over a liner or frame lock, it is not ambidextrous. The lock back is. So if I were buying that size I would really look at the lock backs such as Native 5 and Delica if being ambidextrous is important to you.

"One and done" is generally my mindset. I hate having several knives (or watches, multitool, flashlights, etc.) just sitting around. I've had several knives over the years and sold them off after trying them for a bit, just finding what I do and do not like.

When it comes to an EDC knife, my taste seems to change every year or two. What I've figured out is that, except for cutting food, I have no NEED for a blade longer than 3", and 2.5" seems to be about perfect for everyday tasks. However, I really want to have a full grip preferably without using a 50/50 choil (and I really enjoy using my folder in the kitchen). So larger knives make more sense for me.

As of right now and since the beginning of April, my "one and done" knife is a Cutlery Shop exclusive HAP 40 Endura 4. If I ever need to move to a location with restrictive knife laws, I may chop the blade down to the legal length and just keep carrying it. I'm hoping to keep carrying it for at least a full year as my main knife.

As I'm typing this, I'm thinking of buying a coated LC200N Pacific Salt/Endura if ever produced... And I really want to try a Yojimbo if they make it bigger and give it a backlock and Emerson opener... :rolleyes:

As much as I want a "one and done" knife, I'm probably not there yet. :D

As of now, three suits me well. I have one that I grab for each occasion. Going to work? Grab the RAT. Nice dinner with the wife? Opinel. No need to think about those choices. But say it's the weekend and I'm running errands? Ahhh, that's where the EDC choice remains. I actually have sold my collection off already, and right now that void is being filled by a good ol' SAK. But as capable as the SAK is, I still want a more robust locking blade, a real workhorse.

No fixed blades for me. That would be my preference, for sure, but legally I am restricted to folders.

Nice!

What SAK are you using?

And the lights? And watches?

We sound exactly alike! I was a one knife guy until about age 43(I'm about to be 50) My one knife, a bucklite was lost or stolen, went several years without any real knife, maybe one in the tackle box. Came across another bucklite in a flea market, found these forums doing research on the bucklite, and the rest is history. I now have a huge collection just by looking for "the one". I "think" I have some valuable ones based on auction prices, but I've only sold 1 knife ever.
I'm pretty frugal in all other areas. I'm a very avid hunter and only have one of each basic needs guns/one deer rifle(1969 Marlin .30.30, 1 shotgun , a 1956 Remington 870, 1 .22 a 1906 Marlin lever action that was inherited from my great grandfather., 1 cva muzzleloader, and one pistol that had belonged to my great grandfather made in 1906, and one bow. I'm attached to each gun and couldn't imagine going deer hunting without my Marlin .30.30 due to all the history I have with it. So I don't know why knives are different.
I started adding up what I spend on knives(which is embarrassing)and the last 3 years, I have managed to spend less and less each year. When I buy a knife, it's because I have the money and at least it means that times are good and at least I haven't put any of them on a credit card and kept most in good condition in boxes so they could be sold if I had to.
Like you, I'm trying to find one edc that will last a lifetime and look better with age, and then quit actively looking at knives that are for sale online and auctions. But still buy an old one if I stumble across one in person that was a good deal and collectible.

I should also add that this Para 3 would be my only "EDC" knife. I do have others that fill specific roles (custom Opinel mod for formal occasions, and a RAT 2 in D2 for work). And yes, that's the same philosophy I use for my watches and other items - I usually have work, dress, and EDC. Different items for different roles, but I still only have to grab the one that I need for that specific use.

i cant tell you what to get, dont have the full experience to say one way or the other.

for me, its one EDC - dress, work, or daily - currently thats a Spyderco Domino - has been for about 18 months. I dont see that changing much anytime soon.
prior to that I carried a couple of knives for about 1/2 year each, trying them out.
before that, it was a buck 174 for 10 years plus.

i've got other knives, for other things - mostly specifics, like hunting, backpacking, fishing, certain tasks around the house, etc (example, I have a sak i like to use when working on electrical stuff at the house, and a fixed blade I like when carpentering) - but just one EDC.

but i still like knives - like talkign about them - learning about them - seeing whats new - what others use, and use them for - etc.
so I'm here - talking about knives, with no plan to purchase a new one at the moment. although, i think my next upgrade will be a fixed blade for hunting, but I'm highly leaning custom on this one, so it might be a while.

do what makes you happy - but don't ever say your done :)

Nice!

What SAK are you using?

And the lights? And watches?

The SAK is an Evogrip 11. I was curious about the inlays on the scales, and I really like the large Phillips driver instead of the corkscrew. The only thing it's missing to be perfect is scissors.

As for watches, I like field watches. I've got a Seiko SNK-805 for "daily" wear, a Bertucci A-1S for work, and a Citizen BM8180-03E that I want to put on a nice leather strap for formal wear.

Lights? I haven't gotten too deep into that realm of EDC. I'm happy with my LED Solitaire.

The SAK is an Evogrip 11. I was curious about the inlays on the scales, and I really like the large Phillips driver instead of the corkscrew. The only thing it's missing to be perfect is scissors.

As for watches, I like field watches. I've got a Seiko SNK-805 for "daily" wear, a Bertucci A-1S for work, and a Citizen BM8180-03E that I want to put on a nice leather strap for formal wear.

Lights? I haven't gotten too deep into that realm of EDC. I'm happy with my LED Solitaire.
Congrats and thanks for the answer.

Evogrip 16 is the SAK for you. I´m a fan too of the "Evogrip World". I have a 10 (the corkscrew can hold a cigar) and a s18.

I´ll give some options that I think will suit you well.

Based on what you said I thought in something MADE IN USA, below $200 and "not so big" blade.

The order is ore or less on decreasing price
My choices would be: ZT450CF, ZT770CF (my EDC), Para 3 Maxamet, Para 3 52100, Old Native 5 s35vn.

I went nearly 10 years without buying anything new----then in 2014--15ish I started acquiring more through 2018---haven't bought anything since June 2018 except for a couple of $20 cheapies.

Have been looking again recently but still haven't pulled the trigger---maybe after next month after I get plates on the second vehicle(car tags here very expensive as they zap you with property tax every year).

The para3 qualifies as an all around workhorse knife.
Solid construction, thick blade, beefy pivot, reliable lock, full liners... but question your steel choice. M390 and its cousins are a little fragile for my use, and don't live up to the rest of the knife.
If stainless is a priority, then so be it, but I'm seeing the rex45 version.

I’m not saying that I’ll never buy another knife, but I’m not looking anymore. I have maybe 30 knives, and I find that I EDC my green Endura 4 99% of the time.

Single Blade:
Buck 110 or Buck 112 (if you want something a tad smaller) in a nice belt sheath. The factory nylon sheath can be worn vertical or horizontal.
You won't notice the weight on your belt.
A 110 or 112 has been on my belt pretty much every day since 1969.

Multi-Blade:
Large or Medium Stockman
Trapper or Moose
Barlow
Canoe
Peanut or Pen Knife
To be really different a Rough Rider large Sunfish.

(Rough Rider/Rough Ryder because they are a good knife, easier to find, and don't cost your first, second and third born plus two arms and three legs, like one from GEC or Case will/does.)

Even if you wear a suit, a Sunfish does not "print" in your pants pocket.

Be aware that the small Sunfish/Elephant Toenail generally have a super hard pull on the secondary blade. Vice Grips were needed to open the secondary on the one I had.

I'm with you on this.... I having different knives for different purposes and just like guns there is no "one for all". I wouldn't want to clean fish with a giant bowie or break down a pile of boxes with a small sebenza.... not that you couldn't do it but those are the wrong tools for the job at hand.

I will also say that have the newest item is a societal problem. We see Instagram and try to keep up with the Jones's. I know I have 3 Olights that I just had to have for work and instead i use a cheap home depot light and my Olights are sitting on my nightstand.

I just bought my first damasteel blade and thought it was my last higher end production knife... then after 6 beers last night i bought a liong mah Lanny. I've wanted it for a while but didn't plan on buying it..... now it's in the mail. I'm hoping it will be my last knife, it fits that perfect size for me: 3.25" blade 4.5" handle, all premium materials M390, Titanium and perfect action. I intend to use it for a long time so I'm ok with it, just gotta pay down my credit card now Haha.

Long story short, buy what you want but have a couple different knives at least. You don't need a drawer full, just a select few for different occasions. Enjoy!

Last edited:
I'm not "done" buying knives yet but that aren't many knives that I'm compelled to buy anymore.

The ones that I still "really " want are those listed in my signature. Anything else I buy I could really do w/o but I'm still buying some just to keep "busy."

However, I am "done" buying guns, rifles and shotguns. Got more than enough of those already. LOL! ;)

I'll never limit myself to "just one more". I have a lot of "collector" hobbies. Lights, knives, guns, patches etc... Life's too short to say no more collecting...

If you want to quit then you're going to have to get off the internet. The reason that you are never satisfied is you keep seeing other people that seem more happy with their stuff, or got it cheaper etc. It plays on your insecurity. ( I know this because I suffer from it to)
One way I do differ though is the hunt and finding a deal is my fav part of the process. I think i'm addicted to that "finding treasure high" lol

Back