One essential piece of gear

I’m curious: what is one essential piece of gear (that is not a knife) you carry as part of your EDC? Who makes it?

I will say flashlight, and I tend to use it as much or more than I use my knife. Other EDC items that get used a lot are ink pens and cellphone.

Ok, I probably should have been a little more specific. Guns, phones, and knives are not what I’m looking for. I’m looking items you carry that aren’t these.

Well, I carry a 1/4" to 3/8" adapter in my watch pocket. It seems to be the tool that goes missing out of toolboxes more often than any other tool. So no matter where I am, I always have one if I need it.

Something to write with, sharpie and/or bic most likely but sometimes something a little fancier like a pentel or zebra.

Flashlights are normally close by if not in my pocket, especially in winter. My pocket organizer is a slipjoint, flashlight (thrunight), and pen. If I'm pocketing a fixed blade (my 24/7 model) then I carry an O-light baton

I have more than one. There are several tools that I never leave home without.

I carry these tools attached to my boots, and if I ever take them out to use them I put them right back after, so I know they are always there. Since I always wear my boots when I go out, I know I always have the tools with me. I don't have to remember to take them with me or load myself up before going out. I wear my jeans outside my boots, so my tools are always concealed from view.

In pic 1 (left boot) there is a AAA flashlight (Olight i3T EOS) and a stubby adjustable wrench (7/8" jaw).

In pics 2-3 (right boot) there is a Leatherman P4 in the little pouch, 6.5" adjustable pliers, and a Wiha micro bit driver full of specifically selected bits.

Every now and then I have a need for these items away from home, sometimes a vital need. I was out a few days ago and unexpectedly needed the flashlight in the middle of the day. If I go out at night I carry a light in my pocket, but never in the middle of the day. So having the light on my boot really paid off. Just one incident of many regarding my "boot carry" stuff.

EDIT: I have also added a pair of wire cutters. They originally had much longer handles, but I cut them down. They have come in handy.

tabQufw.jpg

qLiy5Lf.jpg

wbPfyoI.jpg

Wire cutters. Same boot as the flashlight and wrench.

1oXL9Ci.jpg

Last edited:
I have more than one. There are several tools that I never leave home without.

I carry these tools attached to my boots, and if I ever take them out to use them I put them right back after, so I know they are always there. Since I always wear my boots when I go out, I know I always have the tools with me. I don't have to remember to take them with me or load myself up before going out. I wear my jeans outside my boots, so my tools are always concealed from view.

In pic 1 (left boot) there is a AA flashlight (Klarus P1A) and a stubby adjustable wrench (7/8" jaw).

In pics 2-3 (right boot) there is a Leatherman P4 in the little pouch, 6.5" adjustable pliers, and a Wiha micro bit driver full of specifically selected bits.

Every now and then I have a need for these items away from home, sometimes a vital need. I was out a few days ago and unexpectedly needed the flashlight in the middle of the day. If I go out at night I carry a light in my pocket, but never in the middle of the day. So having the light on my boot really paid off. Just one incident of many regarding my "boot carry" stuff.

0ofymW1.jpg

qLiy5Lf.jpg

6PFBoCh.jpg
What knife do you favor?

I would say my wristwatch and my phone. My phone is white Apple iPhone XR with white Star Wars Stormtrooper themed case made by Otterbox. As for my watch, depends on the mood, clothing, and activity. Most of the time it is Citizen Promaster Land PMD56-2951, moderately sized yet very durable field watch with NATO strap made by Crown & Buckle. My other two favorite everyday watches are Lum-Tec Combat B and Casio G-Shock GW-3000M-4AER.

What knife do you favor?

For a while now I've been carrying two Cold Steel Ti-lites, one 4" stuck in a section of bicycle innertube on my belt, and a 6" in an under arm rig (made myself). Both knives have been modified.

I always wear a jacket when I go out, so my knives are not visible to the public.

AmIJGph.jpg

Back