One for me, unfortunately....

Phillip Patton

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Well, this blade was going to go to Les Robertson, but as I was polishing it, I discovered a small slag inclusion in the steel. So I decided to put a micarta handle on it, and make it my new personal bowie. :frown:

Steel: 1084

Hardness: 59-60

Blade length: 9-3/4"

Total length: 15-3/8"

Blade thickness: just under 1/4"

Handle material: natural micarta

1235-1.JPG

1235-2.JPG

1235-3.JPG

Thanks for looking!

Although it's natural micarta, one side looks almost maroonish in color. It's not just the picture. :)

I wish my "mistakes" looked that good. Great lines on that one! :thumbup:

This is some knife that I would love to have :thumbup:

Phillip, what's the blade width? My guess it is about 1 7/8" :cool:
BTW, are the fittings made from nickle silver?

Thanks for showing it.

Looks good to me. I always get a chuckle at the idea of a "natural" synthetic material though:D Too bad about the slag. Thats kind of unusual if you are using the Aldo.Mace 1084.

You Should Get A Second Opinion!!!!

Send It To Me---I'll Test It For A Year---or Two!!!

:)

Great Looking Knife

Dr.Bill

Looks great to me Phillip...

Do you have any close-up pics of the imperfection you're referring too? Glad to see you didn't sell this one if it's not up to your usual quality and standards.

Even with the inclusion (Sigh...don`t you hate the things you can`t control in the shop?) that`s beautiful work. What does something like that retail for?

I feel your pain. But then again, you can't have too many knives; even one thats not quite up to your standards for sale.:D

Fred

Well - you could do worse:D I wouldn't worry about it too much - that knife could still turn heads! I, for one, always enjoy looking at your knives - you do good work.

Heck yeah!! I am using a natural micarta handle for one I am making myself:thumbup:

This is some knife that I would love to have :thumbup:

Phillip, what's the blade width? My guess it is about 1 7/8" :cool:
BTW, are the fittings made from nickle silver?

Thanks for showing it.

Your guess would be just right. :) :thumbup: The guard is 416 stainless. Much more durable than N/S, and a lot more pleasant to work with.

jdm61 said:
Looks good to me. I always get a chuckle at the idea of a "natural" synthetic material though:D Too bad about the slag. Thats kind of unusual if you are using the Aldo.Mace 1084.

I think "natural" in this context just means they didn't add any color to the micarta.
Yep, I was using the 1084 from Aldo, and boy, I sure hope this is a rare problem. :mad:

redsnake1997 said:
Looks great to me Phillip...

Do you have any close-up pics of the imperfection you're referring too? Glad to see you didn't sell this one if it's not up to your usual quality and standards.

I don't think it would show up in a picture.... It's hard to see if the light's not just right...

Thank you to all of you for your kudos. I just wish this knife were sellable. :p Oh well. I did use it to chop some oak, and it held up just fine. :thumbup:

Chosen-Frozen, I'll email you or PM you the price for a similar piece without the inclusion. :)

Back