1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

One for me, unfortunately....

Discussion in 'Knife Maker's Gallery' started by Phillip Patton, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Phillip Patton

Phillip Patton KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 25, 2005
    Well, this blade was going to go to Les Robertson, but as I was polishing it, I discovered a small slag inclusion in the steel. So I decided to put a micarta handle on it, and make it my new personal bowie. :frown:

Steel: 1084

Hardness: 59-60

Blade length: 9-3/4"

Total length: 15-3/8"

Blade thickness: just under 1/4"

Handle material: natural micarta

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

2. Phillip Patton

Phillip Patton KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 25, 2005
    Although it's natural micarta, one side looks almost maroonish in color. It's not just the picture. :)

3. t1mpani

t1mpani

Jun 6, 2002
    I wish my "mistakes" looked that good. Great lines on that one! :thumbup:

4. mohd

mohd

Jun 3, 1999
    This is some knife that I would love to have :thumbup:

Phillip, what's the blade width? My guess it is about 1 7/8" :cool:
    BTW, are the fittings made from nickle silver?

Thanks for showing it.

5. willrise

willrise Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Love It
    Love Natural Micarta

6. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    Looks good to me. I always get a chuckle at the idea of a "natural" synthetic material though:D Too bad about the slag. Thats kind of unusual if you are using the Aldo.Mace 1084.

7. WILLIAM.M

WILLIAM.M Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 14, 2006
    You Should Get A Second Opinion!!!!

Send It To Me---I'll Test It For A Year---or Two!!!

:)

Great Looking Knife

Dr.Bill

8. Redsnake1997

Redsnake1997 Gold Member Gold Member

May 26, 2005
    Looks great to me Phillip...

Do you have any close-up pics of the imperfection you're referring too? Glad to see you didn't sell this one if it's not up to your usual quality and standards.

9. psycho78

psycho78

Jun 17, 2006
    You're one of my favorite knifemakers ever Phillip. I love that knife!

10. Chosen-frozen

Chosen-frozen

Jul 30, 2005
    Even with the inclusion (Sigh...don`t you hate the things you can`t control in the shop?) that`s beautiful work. What does something like that retail for?

11. Larry Hensley

Larry Hensley

Dec 31, 2007
    Looks Great Bet you wouldnt have any problems selling it

12. Fred.Rowe

Fred.Rowe Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

May 2, 2004
    I feel your pain. But then again, you can't have too many knives; even one thats not quite up to your standards for sale.:D

Fred

13. bennett

bennett

Sep 22, 2005
    Well - you could do worse:D I wouldn't worry about it too much - that knife could still turn heads! I, for one, always enjoy looking at your knives - you do good work.

14. blgoode

blgoode

Oct 3, 2003
    Heck yeah!! I am using a natural micarta handle for one I am making myself:thumbup:

15. Keith Montgomery

Keith Montgomery

May 9, 2000
    Phillip, it looks like you got yourself a darn nice knife.

16. Phillip Patton

Jul 25, 2005

Your guess would be just right. :) :thumbup: The guard is 416 stainless. Much more durable than N/S, and a lot more pleasant to work with.

I think "natural" in this context just means they didn't add any color to the micarta.
    Yep, I was using the 1084 from Aldo, and boy, I sure hope this is a rare problem. :mad:

I don't think it would show up in a picture.... It's hard to see if the light's not just right...

Thank you to all of you for your kudos. I just wish this knife were sellable. :p Oh well. I did use it to chop some oak, and it held up just fine. :thumbup:

Chosen-Frozen, I'll email you or PM you the price for a similar piece without the inclusion. :)

17. Redsnake1997

Redsnake1997 Gold Member Gold Member

May 26, 2005
    PM sent Phillip...

18. fishface5

fishface5

Feb 3, 2001
    that's one sweet user!!