One for me

Well since the great kiln crash of 2010 I've been staying busy. I thought this was a good time to work in a few side projects that have already been heat treated. So I finished up the Soldier River hidden tang I've been working on.

srhiddentangon.jpg

srhiddentangoff.jpg

srhiddentangtop.jpg

Black canvas micarta "guard" with stainless steel and red g10 spacers. Nickel silver pommel with a steel pin.
This sucker absolutely ate up the belts.:11: I went through one and a half blaze 36 grits, two 120's and two 400's. Just on the handle.:eek:
Needless to say it was a pain. But I kinda like it and the next step is a kydex sheath and then to the woods we go.:D
It's got a few finish issues but the ones I make for myself always do. I know that the finish is gonna be toast the first time I use it anyway so I don't spend much time on it for myself.
Like? Hate?
Thanks for looking,
Iz

I'll put my Blackwater up against it anyday. :)

Damned good looking blade dude. Let me know how she does. I like the looks of it, very much. Nicely done.

-JP

Sweet looking knife Iz I can see why you wanted it for yourself. Now take it out and put it to good use .

looks nice. i'm just wondering why you went with a steel pin in the nickel silver pommel. wouldn't a nickel silver pin be strong enough for that use? just curious.

She's a beaut Iz!!

Hows the balance?

Thanks, Tony. I was surprised that it's actually a little handle heavy. With the blade length and fairly small handle I thought it would be the opposite. It balances just in back of the first set of spacers.

looks nice. i'm just wondering why you went with a steel pin in the nickel silver pommel. wouldn't a nickel silver pin be strong enough for that use? just curious.
Fixer,
Yeah, I think the ns pin would be plenty strong. I just didn't have any in stock.:eek: So steel it was!:D

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the kind words. The below post will have my initial impressions on the knife.
Iz

I battoned through some gnarly old hedge post sections yesterday morning.
I really like the extra length for that. I carved a few feathers after that to see how it felt. I'm not to pleased. I was afraid I got the handle to small and I was right. Not in length but in height. It fatigues my hand some trying to control the longer blade with less handle mass. It also makes it harder to control striking the firesteel with the longer blade.
I'll take note of that if I do any of these in the future.

5054328739_c50cb58c36_z.jpg

Last night I made a basswood bow drill set with it. Everything was pretty comfortable while doing that.
5058069705_f420bd2d9c_z.jpg

After that I carve some shavings from the basswood just to see if I could get used to the handle a little more.
5058069793_a8189ef6c9_z.jpg

The small size is manageable for me since I have girly hands but it does take some getting used to. It takes a whole lot more hand strength than my other knives which fatigues my hand faster. But like I say, the next one will have a bigger handle.
So far I'm liking the knife. I think I'd love it if I hadn't screwed up the handle size. Live and learn eh?
More beatings to follow soon I hope.:thumbup:
Iz

Sharp looking knife Iz.

It's great and a little unusual to see a maker openly criticize his own product.
In today's throwaway world it's good to see such attention to quality, keeping the end user in mind.

Kudos to you.:thumbup:

Sharp looking knife Iz.

It's great and a little unusual to see a maker openly criticize his own product.
In today's throwaway world it's good to see such attention to quality, keeping the end user in mind.

Kudos to you.:thumbup:

Thanks, Mike. I figure if I don't like using something then I can't say it's the be all end all.
I appreciate the kudo, brother.:thumbup:

Thanks, brother J. You can try it out for yourself anytime, man.
Iz

Great stuff buddy and I applaud your honest evaluation. To me the handle makes the knife, you can get by okay with a blade that isn't quite right for the job but if the handle is not bang on you will soon know it ! I have a few knives that live in the drawer and very rarely see any woods time just because the handles are not quite right and cause hand fatigue and hotspots !

Back