One handed openers or switchblades

To : ALL

I was just curious, forumites, what was your personal
preferance, manual or auto. I like my Spyderco's as
there's no springs to break or wear out. Plus an
earlier posting in these forum(s) buy a "grunt" decried
the failure of his Benchmade AFO ( that was issued to
him yet ! ). How do the rest of you feel about this ?

"...and let him that has no sword sell his robe and
buy one..." Luke 22:36

A.E.T.

I think that one handers make more sense for two reasons: first, manual one handers are legal in all the U.S. jurisdictions I know while switchblades are illegal in most U.S. jurisdictions; second, manual one handers have far fewer parts and therefore most less subject to failure. A good lockback, integral lock, or liner liner ought to work well for years while an auto's spring will eventually break.

Most one handers today can open just as fast or faster (Emerson Wave) than autos. That being said I still like to have an auto just for cool factor.

Manual one-hander have way less chances to open unintentionally in your pocket and make you a harm.

Legal issues aside, a manual is just more safe and reliable than an auto. Keep it simple and do it well.

Paul

Manual folders are much, much faster to open, especially under stress. Autos are cool because of the "gadget factor".

Well, this is a bit of a mixed bag:

I think overall manuals are better because they are safer, less complex, and also tend to be stronger. They are also undeniably CHEAPER (by alot). Manuals make far better work knives and of course are legal most everywhere, but Autos do have a "cool" factor about them as well as being better for individuals who carry a folding knife for defense (i'm not talking about punk kids, but LEOs and such).

I however don't really buy into the cult of the "defense knife" and especially not the "defense folder" - to me knives are tools through and through, and are only to be used as weapons in a desperate emergency - so whenever I buy a knife my primary focus for it is as a work knife, in which case - i'd pick a manual everytime.

With all the manual one handers available today, I have no use for an auto opener other than owning one for the cool factor. If I had limited use of my hands due to a disability, I could see the need for one. I feel that the more springs and coils or other gizmos you throw into the knife, the more it's prone to mechanical failure which is why for heavy use, I'll take a well made lockback or linerlock one hander any day over a button lock auto opener.

I only own one handers with the exception of two very cheap autos. For use I would always choose a good one hander. You can get several hgih quality one handers for the price of a quality auto. Now, do I think that honest, law-abiding people should be allowed to carry an auto if they desire? OF COURSE. It would be nice to have that option. As of right now I would not but an auto even if I could afford it and I loved it because I would not spend the money on a knife I could not carry.

I have to go with the balisong here. ;) It's a strong lock (IMHO the strongest on a folding knife, but I could be wrong). Easily opened or closed with either hand. Will not open when you don't want it to. Plus, they're a lot of fun to play with! :D (That last one is the best reason)

One handers:
a) it's outlawed in Canada
b) it's simpler
c) with some creative design, even a one-hand-opener can open as fast as a switchblade. ie. the Carson flippers present on his designs from CRKT and probably from himself (I don't have money for customs :( ), and knives like Kershaw Scallion/Chive. Although those kershaw has a torsion bar to aid in opening, I'd believe that even without the bar one could open it like the Carson flippers and flick them open easily.
Autos tends to be under more scrutiny, and if you do mind what other thinks, an auto may give you more of "the look" when you use it.

I fully understand and support the interest in and collection of auto knives as I do the interest in and collection of any knives.

However, I don't recommend someone actually carrying one. I consider them unsafe because they can and have opened inadvertently in pockets, injuring the owner. Also operating them is slower than operating a well balanced one hand opener if the user applies some practice to the one hand opener. By the way, some autos have safeties that lock them closed to resolve the inadvertent opening problem. These are obviously even slower. Finally autos are more complex mechanically and can and do fail more often than one hand openers.

I imagine people carry them simply because they like them, hopefully not because they think they represent a better solution to their purpose. I have no problem with that. I just don't recommend it. Take care.

One-handers IMO are better and more reliable than autos. As has already been mentioned, more things to go wrong with an auto. Also the legality factor.

Personally, I am mad that bali-songs are illegal to carry. If they weren't I'd carry one every day. After all, once open, whether an auto, manual one-hander, Speedsafe, bali, or slipjoint, a knife is just a knife.

Jim

Originally posted by Sergiusz

"Manual one-hander have way less chances to open unintentionally in your pocket and make you a harm."

Segiusz, did you mean a HAREM guard(eunuch)?

phantom4

I like auto's, the only problem is that they are illegal here, and most other places. For that reason I carry a one hand opener as my EDC. As far as the reiability of autos in every day use, I also agree that their are more parts to break, and easier to fail under stress. If I were allowed to carry an auto I would probably choos something like the LCC. It is dual action, so if the spring breaks I still have a reliable liner lock. It is also highly unlikely that it would open unintentionally because of the awkward mothion needed.

Erik

Switchblades (autos)

Why?

Click

Snick

Thwack

And, of course Ker-thwack...

If I need failproof reliability for heavy use situations I'll take a fixed blade. Otherwise nothing's cooler than the snap of a quality auto...

:D

Phantom,
I had in my mind the artery in man’s groin what runs exactly across the area covered with front pocket.
But you are right also...

You guys are right...no need at all for an auto...they're illegal where I live too. That being said, I just ordered a nice, new Amphibian auto (it won't have that ungodly fat thumbstud on it). And I know MT will take care of it if the spring breaks. I'll probably just carry it here on the farm for utility use. Every knifeknut should have at least one auto, just for that THWACK! :D

You're gonna be stoked. The Auto Amphibian is my EDC, works awesome. Like the Emerson Wave feature, but surely it would tear up my non-denim pants bypracticing the opening.

Back