One Knife Life

I’m also down to only user blades that fit roles. I am the same with firearms. I am the same with clothes. I am a minimalist by nature. I just struggle with things sitting around collecting dust. If I only used 1 knife and saw no need for any others, then I’d own only one knife. Wouldn’t bother me at all.

I'm considering venturing into owning one knife only.
Madness, shear madness.
I tried that for a while in the "One Knife For A Year Challenge" thread. Hahahaha I couldn't get through a month. I started buying knives and modding them just for the thread challenge.
Failure after failure. Fixed blades, folders.
I'm weak.
Speaking of Benchmade this 710 in M390 is the closest stock (not modded) knife I came up with. My Christmas present for 2016.
I thought "Aaaaahhhhhhhh FINALLY ! This 'll do 'er (I hadn't seen the knife in my past expeditions into the knife online stores).
but
the execution wasn't there and the knife, though I really like it generally, has some character flaws (not a reliable pivot drop . . . depends on grip force and ambient temp . . . and the tip is so close to the outside of the handle it can snag on stuff and open)
IMG_4760.JPG

as far as modded knives . . . in this case use bold type with lots of exclamations and some flashing neon lights . . . we are talking MODDED (I ground the blade nearly half as thick as it was and from the crazy stab 'em blade to a full flat) . . .
well THIS IS THE STUFF RIGHT TCHEER !
I could be happy with this as the only EDC.
. . . still . . . i have a few others that I like to carry from time to time . . . and the Ti Lite (XHP) really calls for a belt pouch . . . I don't like it with a clip and it is a thick handle so not the best in pocket (although I say : thick handle :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: )
IMG_3720.jpg

Last edited:
I'm considering venturing into owning one knife only. For a little while now I've been enjoying owning two knives--one off duty EDC and one work EDC. Well I've just changed jobs and got off the ambulance. My work attire has changed to scrubs, and my knife is a lot less exposed to bodily fluids, as in probably never will be. With these changes I've now been EDCing my Benchmade Bugout all the time, and my Benchmade custom Griptilian has been sitting around idle. It's only been one week, and I am in no rush to make a definitive decision. However, I am currently pondering selling the Griptilian and trying out one knife only living. If something were to happen to my Bugout, I do own multitools with knives on them that could fill the role until I could purchase a new Bugout. Do any of y'all only own one knife currently, or maybe have in the past for a significant amount of time? What were your thoughts and experiences with it? Any other comments or advice welcome.

Don't do it. Sooner or later you will get bored with the Bugout, and wish you never sold the Grip. Plus there are sooooo many sweet knives out there right now. Variety is the spice of life baby!

I can get behind the one knife idea, but please...don't make it a friggin bugout..
I don't know why it irks me so much, it's like people on a Exotic Car Forum who keep suggesting a base model Honda Civic, cause it's light, reliable and gets good gas mileage, yeah there's nothing wrong with a Civic to commute, but how can be enthusiastic about it? o_O:D And stop arguing it's light and the steel is so great and the axis lock. S30V is middle of the pack these days given how many knives come with M390, light is meh, it's made of plastic, of course it's light and there are plenty axis lock knives. I just don't get the rave it gets.
giveup.gif

(And it's all in good fun really, carry what suits you and what you like best. :thumbsup:)

I can get behind the one knife idea, but please...don't make it a friggin bugout..
I don't know why it irks me so much, it's like people on a Exotic Car Forum who keep suggesting a base model Honda Civic, cause it's light, reliable and gets good gas mileage, yeah there's nothing wrong with a Civic to commute, but how can be enthusiastic about it? o_O:D And stop arguing it's light and the steel is so great and the axis lock. S30V is middle of the pack these days given how many knives come with M390, light is meh, it's made of plastic, of course it's light and there are plenty axis lock knives. I just don't get the rave it gets.

LOL! I am firmly on the flip side of this coin. Stop arguing that it's light, great steel, axis lock, etc? Those are GREAT arguments.

I got a bunch of knives, and I also find that I am carrying the Bugout just about 99% of the time these days.

As a knife enthusiast, I would HATE the thought of paring down to one knife. But if I were forced to do so, the Bugout would be right up there with the top choices, and would probably be the one I ended up with.

You don't get the rave it gets? Understandable, as not everyone raves about the same characteristics in... anything really. But don't disparage someone else's enthusiasm toward their choice.

Oh, and the Honda Civic? It's a great commuter... light, reliable, and it gets great gas mileage. :D;)

I guess with my knives I'm one of those coal rolling lifted truck guys who uses it to go grocery shopping instead of hauling a house. Yeah I don't need a 3.5" + blade but dammit I like them and if it weighs 6 ounces? Who cares. My work pants have suspenders (<- Important detail right there :D)and my keys alone weigh more than that! :D

exposed to bodily fluids
yeeeah the Ti Lite would not be the best for that. If I had my drothers, and I may do it yet, I would put KreyEx handle scales on it like my Grail.
Grail ?
I mentioned I'm weak didn't I ?
Yes I'm sure we've been over that.
Mod, mod, mod . . . my life is a living hell of cutting and grinding . . . blades, handles . . .
WHAT !
am I a knife maker ? No ! I just can't find what I want off the shelf ! o_O:confused:
. . . wheeeoooo . . . thanks for letting me get that out . . . I feel a little more relaxed now.
:)
IMG_4253.JPG

Do any of y'all only own one knife currently,
Carrying only one ever is one thing.
. . . only owning one ? ? ? ? o_O:confused:o_O:rolleyes::mad::(o_O:confused:
you'er serious aren't you ? !
why . . . The Chef . . . my partner owns several folders . . . and she NEVER carries one.
? ? ? ? own only one . . .

Carrying only one ever is one thing.
. . . only owning one ? ? ? ? o_O:confused:o_O:rolleyes::mad::(o_O:confused:
you'er serious aren't you ? !
why . . . The Chef . . . my partner owns several folders . . . and she NEVER carries one.
? ? ? ? own only one . . .
Consider, in your case, if you were to only have one personality, instead of multiples, and it was the sane one. Wouldn't that make life simpler? :D I think that's where he is coming from.

I'm considering venturing into owning one knife only. For a little while now I've been enjoying owning two knives--one off duty EDC and one work EDC. Well I've just changed jobs and got off the ambulance. My work attire has changed to scrubs, and my knife is a lot less exposed to bodily fluids, as in probably never will be. With these changes I've now been EDCing my Benchmade Bugout all the time, and my Benchmade custom Griptilian has been sitting around idle. It's only been one week, and I am in no rush to make a definitive decision. However, I am currently pondering selling the Griptilian and trying out one knife only living. If something were to happen to my Bugout, I do own multitools with knives on them that could fill the role until I could purchase a new Bugout. Do any of y'all only own one knife currently, or maybe have in the past for a significant amount of time? What were your thoughts and experiences with it? Any other comments or advice welcome.

No, seek help quickly! But in all seriousness, if you are happy with one knife then that's awesome, I have a bunch of different knives for multiple purposes. And also because they are fun and I'm always on the lookout for the next one I want to get. I will say that I am pretty set for fixed blades, though, but I did not stop at one there either

Last edited:
This is like going to a beer forum and asking whether it is doable to drink only one bottle per month. Is it achievable? Of course yes. But why? especially given that there are so many good beers out there.

I think a more apt analogy is if you only drink one type of beer but drink as much of it as you want. I can use my one knife all the time, for any and all tasks. I just wouldn’t have a second one to do those tasks.

I think a more apt analogy is if you only drink one type of beer but drink as much of it as you want. I can use my one knife all the time, for any and all tasks. I just wouldn’t have a second one to do those tasks.
Or just quitting everything except water, you can survive by just drinking water, but there is so much more variety when it comes to thirst and keeping hydrated.
Brawndo_Social_Head.gif

hahaha
ever try to run in two directions at once ?
Or better said I just got whiplash before I could reach for my keyboard.
I don't know why it irks me so much,
I was like : WE ARE ON THE SAME PAGE; let me list the reasons the Bugout bugs me.
Then you had to add :
it's like people on a Exotic Car Forum who keep suggesting a base model Honda Civic, cause it's light, reliable and gets good gas mileage, yeah there's nothing wrong with a Civic to commute, but how can be enthusiastic about it?
Of course you realize when that car came out Road and Track said : This is the MOST fun you can have for $3000 . . . back when one could buy a brand new car for $3000.

Hahaha I EDCed a '85 Civic for a few years.
Picture this :
Big aced SUV (suv stands for stupid ugly vehicle right ) . . . tail gating me on a country road.
I'm just cruising along doing the speed limit 45.
We come to some serious corners and bends in the road. I didn't slow down, but in the same breath didn't even really drift the car.
Hmmmmmm why is Mr Ugly so far back there ?
Guess he doesn't want to "play" any more.

I haven't owned a Bugout . . . and I suspect you haven't owned a Litlguy (that was my license plate).
IMG_5059.JPG

Don't do it. Sooner or later you will get bored with the Bugout, and wish you never sold the Grip. Plus there are sooooo many sweet knives out there right now. Variety is the spice of life baby!

If I suddenly stop enjoying the Bugout or my needs change, then I can simply sell it and buy a different knife. It doesn’t have to be a fixed decision, as in I’ll never buy another knife again. If I do it, it’ll just be a recognition that hey right now this one knife fits all my needs and I’ll continue to carry it every day unless that changes.

giveup.gif

(And it's all in good fun really, carry what suits you and what you like best. :thumbsup:)

I’ve had more expensive knives. I’ve had fancier knives in M390, S35VN, etc with scales in carbon fiber, G10, etc. The Bugout is my favorite knife :) My choice in vehicles is a F150 and a 2 door Wrangler if it makes you feel better lol

LOL! I am firmly on the flip side of this coin. Stop arguing that it's light, great steel, axis lock, etc? Those are GREAT arguments.

I got a bunch of knives, and I also find that I am carrying the Bugout just about 99% of the time these days.

As a knife enthusiast, I would HATE the thought of paring down to one knife. But if I were forced to do so, the Bugout would be right up there with the top choices, and would probably be the one I ended up with.

You don't get the rave it gets? Understandable, as not everyone raves about the same characteristics in... anything really. But don't disparage someone else's enthusiasm toward their choice.

Oh, and the Honda Civic? It's a great commuter... light, reliable, and it gets great gas mileage. :D;)

The Bugout is simply awesome. Not a fan of cars though. Trucks and Jeeps all day!

Consider, in your case, if you were to only have one personality, instead of multiples, and it was the sane one. Wouldn't that make life simpler? :D I think that's where he is coming from.

This made me chuckle :)

Yeah me too. Though needed clutter :thumbsup:
The secret is just to get a smaller coffee cup.
I'm sure most here will agree.
View attachment 870644

That table would drive me nuts in my house! Part of my downsizing was I sold my coffee and end table set prior to this move. Just yesterday I bought one end table for my new place but that’s it. No coffee or second end table for me. More so a result of space allotted (moved into a much smaller but nicer place) but it’s also a freeing feeling. The knife question was posed on this forum but any and all of my stuff is up for debate on whether it should stay or go.

Back