One Knife Survival Knife

Hello,

Just wanted to drop in and say how much I'm enjoying following along this thread. The knife looks great !! and the idea of a 5.5 or 7 blade sounds really good. You have some really nice looking knife designs, I espicially like your SAR4 and SAR/camp knives. Can't wait to see your finished survival knife !!!!

Hello,

Just wanted to drop in and say how much I'm enjoying following along this thread. The knife looks great !! and the idea of a 5.5 or 7 blade sounds really good. You have some really nice looking knife designs, I espicially like your SAR4 and SAR/camp knives. Can't wait to see your finished survival knife !!!!

Thanks for your interest in my work.
I hope to be able to make a couple other sizes in the near future, a 7" sounds attractive to me as well.

I am hoping to get some rough handle shaping done later this evening/tonight.

Good enough for some pictures and weight references at least.

Thanks all for following along.

Here is a picture of the first 4 with rough shaped handles.

surv.jpg

All are currently spoken for.

I'll take the one in 3V with carbon fiber scales. ;)

Those are seriously nice, Chris. Congrats to the new owners. :thumbup:

I'm curious about what they weigh and where they balance?

Could you give us final specs and can we see a spine photo showing blade thickness, any distal taper and handle contours?

Thx, Chris--very appealing! :thumbup:

Last edited:
I really like this one. There aren't many that I have come across that would knock my current "one" off my 'go everywhere do everything' bag, but this one just might. Beautiful work, I have been admiring your craftsmanship and designs for several years now. I'm excited to finally try one, one of these days in the near future!

That is one really sweet looking knife !!!

Very nice, still classic looking too, those handles looks comfortable.

Thanks for all the comments, they are much appreciated.

There will be more made in the not too distant future.
I will be starting a signup thread in my forum in a couple days.
In there I will list what pricing and handle options.

The finished weight of the first knife is 9.7 oz and 12.2 oz in the sheath.

Here are some pictures of the first.

IMG_3829.jpg

IMG_3830.jpg

This first one had a slightly altered heat treat and that is why it has the notch in the spine, to be easily recognized.

Balance point?

That's a super design--thanks for the spine shot. Didn't realize the tang was tapered AND skeletonized. :thumbup:

Congrats on a well-conceived and very handsome package.

Last edited:
I think you have something very special in this one. I am clearing space on the CC now.

It accomplishes quite a lot while not standing out in any one area- the 'Gray Man' knife that is always in use.

Bill

Balance point?

That's a super design--thanks for the spine shot. Didn't realize the tang was tapered AND skeletonized. :thumbup:

Congrats on a well-conceived and very handsome package.

Sorry about that Will, I had a feeling I was forgetting something this morning.

The Balance Point is between 1/16" and 1/8" in front of the front Tube.

I think you have something very special in this one. I am clearing space on the CC now.

It accomplishes quite a lot while not standing out in any one area- the 'Gray Man' knife that is always in use.

Bill

Thanks Bill.
It means a lot coming from you.

Balance Point is between 1/16" and 1/8" in front of the front Tube.

Sounds like it's weighted far enough forward that you can back up on the handle for light 3-finger chopping but no so far forward that it feels blade-heavy during prolonged precision work. Like just about everything else on that knife--just right.

I've seen somewhat similar blade profiles in that size range on other designs, but I like your grip shape better than any of those, especially with your contouring, and that balance point should make handling a dream. I could see rounding/softening the "corner" at the top of the butt, to make the handle more comfortable when tucked into the palm as a "forefinger extension". And maybe bring the handle slabs down just a bit lower behind the ricasso to protect the finger from being roughed up when working against the back end of the blade during drilling tasks, etc., but those are very minor personal-preference touches. You could accomplish a lot just by sanding/rounding the corners of the back side of the blade heel so it doesn't chafe the skin there, and I see the heel is angled on the back side, which I'm sure helps, also.

Really great design. Again, congrats! :thumbup:

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to score one form the first batch. It was a little big for the original buyer!! I am stoked, second one from the group of four pictured above.

Hopefully I can get some use pics this weekend.

If it works out as well as I think, I am going to need one in a more corrosion resistant steel for the tropics.

Bill

Back